No Money for Masters ...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I'm still going to send this in for mastering but in the meantime, I'm curious how this is out in the wild. Lemme know! I'm not a mix engineer but damn I really want to be as a profession. I "mastered" this myself from lurking the forums. Still tweaking somethings here and there but I really I need to be done with this move onto something else.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-ma-42285203 ... al_sharing

I think that it's a good thing that you review some tracks on the forum when you upload a new track. If everybody does this we would end with much more answers in the feedback forum.

I like the track. It has a nice human feel due to the vocals and the drums. The vocals sound a bit strange as if they were eq'ed in the wrong way. No matter what, it is a nice track. Maybe it is a bit short and the end comes rather surprising to me.

Hey thanks for the feedback! Yeah I'm at odds with the vocals. They were processed with a diyre FA38 module and I think I dialed it up too high. I might have to go to the original unprocessed vocal and start over. The intro vocal was meant to sound muddy and lo fi. Thank you so much!

Tao Jones,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: intro drum sounds are cool. Given my druthers, I prefer some more melodic singing during a chorus if there is rapping, since rapping is typically not my favorite type of vocals. Nevertheless, I think the vocals are still better than average for the style. I think the mix is good, though I would prefer a more consistent volume on things. Perhaps compression (or more of it) would help? u-he Presswerk is personally my favorite compressor/limiter.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Great song :tu: . I personally most like the part from 1:36. Reminds me on a few Limp Bizkit songs :D

For the mastering, I must say that I always mastered by myself. But then, for my most recent album, I asked an external guy with really pro equipment to do the mastering. And I have to say, it was really a step forward! And I paid just 50,- EUR per song. That was really worth the money. So, if you like to become a mastering engineer, spend a lot of money to the gear needed and do it. But if you're identifying yourself more as a musician, maybe let some pros do the polishing.

Haha, you call the song exactly that: "No money for masters" - And based on this idea, the
text takes the listener into a world where there is no master and nothing else. Am I right
that in the end it's even about the climate goal?

The song is - in my opinion - pretty good as it is. Rap paired with hard drums and
bass - really similar to Linkin Park.

My little criticism: You have packed so many elements and set pieces into the track that
the overarching "red line" is not clearly visible.

Overall: I really enjoyed it! Great track! :tu: :D :love:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I think it sounds good. There is some nice variation in the backing track.

At times the words are hard to understand. Boosting the treble on the vocals would help. From 1:27 onwards, the vocals are too quiet I think.

I don't think it needs pro mastering. Just getting the vocals to be more consistent would help.

aaron aardvark wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:02 am Tao Jones,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: intro drum sounds are cool. Given my druthers, I prefer some more melodic singing during a chorus if there is rapping, since rapping is typically not my favorite type of vocals. Nevertheless, I think the vocals are still better than average for the style. I think the mix is good, though I would prefer a more consistent volume on things. Perhaps compression (or more of it) would help? u-he Presswerk is personally my favorite compressor/limiter.
Thank you for listening and the feedback!!!! Really appreciate it! Which part specifically needs more consistent volume? Vocals? or just throughout the whole song?

Thank you so much!!!

Kukulkan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:44 am Great song :tu: . I personally most like the part from 1:36. Reminds me on a few Limp Bizkit songs :D

For the mastering, I must say that I always mastered by myself. But then, for my most recent album, I asked an external guy with really pro equipment to do the mastering. And I have to say, it was really a step forward! And I paid just 50,- EUR per song. That was really worth the money. So, if you like to become a mastering engineer, spend a lot of money to the gear needed and do it. But if you're identifying yourself more as a musician, maybe let some pros do the polishing.
Thank you! I'm looking around for a mastering engineer that would work well with this song. In the meantime, I'm having a lot of fun and learning a lot from mastering this myself. Not so much the mastering aspect but the issues I encounter with my mix as I'm trying to master it.
I definitely identify more as an artist but am trying to pursue being a mix engineer as a career.

Thank you so much for listening and your feedback!!! I really really appreciate it!

enroe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:19 am Haha, you call the song exactly that: "No money for masters" - And based on this idea, the
text takes the listener into a world where there is no master and nothing else. Am I right
that in the end it's even about the climate goal?

The song is - in my opinion - pretty good as it is. Rap paired with hard drums and
bass - really similar to Linkin Park.

My little criticism: You have packed so many elements and set pieces into the track that
the overarching "red line" is not clearly visible.

Overall: I really enjoyed it! Great track! :tu: :D :love:
Hahha that whole idea came from me joking around in my head about how I have no money to master my songs... then it this song just kind of came about.
The lyrics are a way to vent about the current situation from the past to the present. From feudalism to capitalism. The end was me identifying that all these things I'm struggling with are roles imposed on us to play in a society inspired by capital. I LOVE that you interpreted as something about the climate goal!!!

Thank you for your feedback! Totally appreciate the constructive critique!!! Do you have any specifics as in what was not clearly visible? Did all the synth sounds in the background get in the way? Too short of a song with very little build up?

Again, thank you so much!! It means a lot to me you listened and responded!!!

Frantz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:32 am I think it sounds good. There is some nice variation in the backing track.

At times the words are hard to understand. Boosting the treble on the vocals would help. From 1:27 onwards, the vocals are too quiet I think.

I don't think it needs pro mastering. Just getting the vocals to be more consistent would help.

Thank you so much for listening!! I'm gonna touch up the vocals a bit and get them more consistent!

Thanks again! Appreciate it!!!

Return to “Music Cafe”