Looking for a hardware synth

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been thinking of getting a LinnStrument. And if I do so, I'd want a synth to go along with it; I'd prefer to be able to play it without being tied to my computer. So I've been researching everything on this list of hardware synths. But I can't seem to find any that quite meet what I'm looking for. Wondering if anyone can help point out anything I've missed, or help narrow down the options of those that don't quite meet my criteria.

Here are what I'd like:
  • MPE, of course, or at least the ability to be able to use one of the workarounds for it (multiple channels each with the same patch)
  • A synth, not a sampler
  • 16 voices of polyphony. Many options out there have 8 or fewer, and when playing with a lot of sustain pedal or long releases, you can easily hit that limit. 12 might be OK, but come on, it's 2024, why is it so hard to find synths with 16 voices of polyphony?
  • At least bi-timbral, I'd like to be able to do splits with two patches, or experiment with blending between two patches on the y-axis.
  • Decent workflow for building patches
  • Decent sound; don't need the richest warmest analog filters and oscillators, but something that can fairly easily build sounds that aren't terrible
  • Single box, don't want to have to drag out a whole studio every time I want to play
  • Desktop form factor, don't want to have an extra keyboard taking up space if I'm planning on playing this with a LinnStrument
  • Under $1000 preferably. I'd already be spending a decent amount on the LinnStrument, I'd rather not be spending four to five thousand at once
  • Actually available to purchase now, not a Kickstarter or only available at certain phases of the moon
I'm willing to compromise a bit one one or two, but it seems hard to even find anything that meets most of these criteria.

OK, we'll start off with the Waldorf Iridium. Looks like it meets all of the criteria, except for price; I suppose if I just want to compromise on price, it's an option. Iridium Core goes down to 12 voices of polyphony, reduces the number of hardware controls, and is still over budget. These also seem like more synth than I'm looking for in general; I don't need a half dozen LFOs, a half dozen envelopes, tons of wavetables, etc, just a basic bread and butter synth with decent MPE support and enough polyphony.

There are lots of other options that max out at 8 voices polyphony (Hydrasynth, ARGON8M, COBALT8M, etc), but I'd have to use two with polychaining, and go over budget, to get the polyphony/bi-timbrality that I'd like (and once you add two, now I also need a mixer, etc). The Hydrasynth Deluxe supports 16 voices of polyphony and is bi-timbral, but blows the budget and comes with a keyboard. A Hydrasynth Deluxe Desktop might be closer to what I'm looking for, but it's not available.

Vector looks like it meets most of the hard requirements, but it has a somewhat different workflow, that seems more like it's more oriented around sound design exploration, not basic bread and butter synth instruments. Also only available direct from the manufacturer and have to wait for assembly.

Mod Dwarf and Zynthian would each give me Surge in a box. Both seem like they have somewhat cumbersome workflows, I'd probably want to do most of my patching on a computer and transfer over to them, and I'm not sure how many voices of polyphony I'd actually be able to get out of them.

Synthstrom Deluge seems to meet most of the hard requirements. It's a little bit over budget, but not too much. It seems to be more deigned as a groovebox/DAW in a box than a synth, but it does have a synth engine, that seems to support all of my requirements. Workflow may be a bit awkward, but sounds like it's gotten a little better now that they've added the OLED display.

Essence FM MkII also seems like its supports all the required features, while being a bit over budget, but possibly doable. The UI/workflow looks like it might be a bit odd, but probably workable.

There are also synths that seem to meet the requirements but without supporting MPE (Korg Opsix/Modwave/Wavestate, Roland SH-4d). It seems like we really need some better MPE advocacy with some of the bigger brands.

Are there any others that I've missing, that meet all of the requirements? Or of the ones that I've mentioned, does anyone have any thoughts on a favorite, which ones are worth loosening one or two of my requirements?

It seems weird that it's so hard to find synths these days with 16 voices of polyphony. Heck, the Hπ FLASH is a tiny little $200 synth that fits in a MIDI jack and draws power from MIDI, and it supports 16 voices of polyphony, and almost supports MPE. It seems weird that I can't find a desktop synth for 5x the price that supports MPE and 16 voices of polyphony.

The Audiothingies MicroMonsta 2 is what I would recommend, as that was the MPE hardware synthesizer I got when I was exploring bi-timbrality. You can find them used on Reverb.

Ah, good thought. I'd taken a quick look at that one, but I guess I'd thought it was only 6 voices at first; turns out it's 2x6, so either 12 voice polyphonic mono-timbral, or 2 timbres of 6 voices each. That would work for me. I also like how compact it is, and folks seem to think it's pretty usable despite the small size.

Unfortunately, that one seems to be one of the "only available at certain phases of the moon" synths. Wait list of several months to get a link to order, or there's a couple available at a big markup from scalpers on Reverb.

Well, might as well get on the wait list, but still curious if there's anything better available on the market.

Any particular reason an ipad with Animoog (or I don't know how many other apps, probably a lot) is out of the running?

unlambda wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:36 am Well, might as well get on the wait list, but still curious if there's anything better available on the market.
No, not without at least one compromise or more. After the Audiothingies MicroMonsta 2, I used the Synthstrom Audible Deluge (OLED) for an all-in-one solution at the expense of bi-timbrality. Shortly after that, I sold them both to preorder the Aodyo Instruments Anyma Omega Desktop, but shipment will be delayed until at least August 12th of this year.

I suggest using Surge XT first to figure out what compromise(s) you are willing to accept before purchasing any MPE hardware synthesizer. For comparison, I currently prioritize realistic timbres at the expense of portability. Nonetheless, both the Audiothingies MicroMonsta 2 and Synthstrom Audible Deluge (OLED) retain most of their market value due to their quality and reputation.

Any particular reason an ipad with Animoog (or I don't know how many other apps, probably a lot) is out of the running?
So two reasons. One is that I'd rather have something dedicated, with hardware knobs, I don't want to have to be tying to fiddle around with kobs/sliders on a touch screen.

Another is that as a programmer, I have a philosophical objection to walled gardens; platforms where you have to pay and/or get permission to be able to write software for it. Was actually a big Apple fan up until when they released the iPhone, moved away from them since. So I won't buy an iPad; and there are a lot fewer synth options on Android.

Actually, I hadn't tried checking, just found DRC on Android which does actually apparently support MPE. Just giving a quick spin on my phone though, it's OK, but not sure I exactly love it. It only supports 8 voices of polyphony and a single timbre, so it doesn't quite meet my requirements; it's cheap, so I might try it out as a stopgap, but I'm liking Surge on my laptop better than DRC on my phone after a few minutes of playing around.

I might look around for others; unfortunately the lists of mobile synths with MPE support don't tend to list Android synths.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:43 am
No, not without at least one compromise or more. After the Audiothingies MicroMonsta 2, I used the Synthstrom Audible Deluge (OLED) for an all-in-one solution at the expense of bi-timbrality. Shortly after that, I sold them both to preorder the Aodyo Instruments Anyma Omega Desktop, but shipment will be delayed until at least August 12th of this year.
What do you mean at the expense of bi-timbrality? The Deluge is also multi timbral and supports both upper and lower MPE zones and all 16 midi channels as seperate inputs from any connected controller

unlambda I'd definitely reccomend the Deluge. It's also open source and several of the contributors use MPE controllers (including me) so support is fantastic.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Yeah, the Deluge looks pretty feature complete. I was mostly worried a bit about the workflow, given the low number of dedicated knobs and high reliance on various shift combos and knob presses, and also things like this rant (https://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/projects/synth/deluge.html) (though to be fair that's more about the sequencer than the synth, and Synthstrom have added a OLED since that was written).

How do you find the workflow for setting up and tweaking patches?

May I suggest perhaps 2) used Argon8m's? Gives you the max 16 polyphony and many of the other features on your list.

My single Argon8m is my go to hardware sound source on my Linnstrument.

DarkenedMonastery wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:34 pm What do you mean at the expense of bi-timbrality?
Unlike the MicroMonsta 2, you cannot use the Deluge's synthesis engine alone to produce distinct sounds for both MPE zones. Note that my experience with the Deluge is limited to May 2023 and earlier.

unlambda wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:36 am Unfortunately, that one seems to be one of the "only available at certain phases of the moon" synths. Wait list of several months to get a link to order, or there's a couple available at a big markup from scalpers on Reverb.
There is only one MicroMonsta 2 left on Reverb now, so if you value bi-timbrality, I suggest acquiring it quickly. They are in exceptionally high demand due to their quality and reputation, so the market price reflects that.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:44 pm Unlike the MicroMonsta 2, you cannot use the Deluge's synthesis engine alone to produce distinct sounds for both MPE zones. Note that my experience with the Deluge is limited to May 2023 and earlier.
Yes you can, and you have been able to since MPE support was added to the Deluge in 2022. You just need to configure whichever midi input you're using for MPE to have 2 zones in the deluge settings and they can be mapped seperately. This is purely user error

unlambda wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:28 pm How do you find the workflow for setting up and tweaking patches?
It's great once you learn the shortcuts (or if you're in a well lit room to read the labels), just press shortcut and then tweak value. The modulation system is very straightforward too, while you're editing a parameter you click any modulator and then can adjust the mod depth

This rant is a bit disingenuous imo - it's almost entirely from the perspective of avoiding song view (the main view of the deluge). If you use deluge like a more typical groovebox and record clips then make a song out of them it works very smoothly.

DarkenedMonastery wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:53 pm Yes you can, and you have been able to since MPE support was added to the Deluge in 2022.
Okay, then I would appreciate any source clearly showcasing this feature using both of the LinnStrument's splits, with each of them using distinct sounds from the Deluge's synthesizer engine.

My favourite Deluge patches were the Glockenspiel and the Sitar.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:59 pm Okay, then I would appreciate any source clearly showcasing this feature using both of the LinnStrument's splits, with each of them using distinct sounds from the Deluge's synthesizer engine.

My favourite Deluge patches were the Glockenspiel and the Sitar.
Here you go, featuring your favourite patches https://share.icloud.com/photos/0a8EhyH ... ziWZ4tehhQ

Return to “Roger Linn Design”