Cool idea, but what happens with the data?

The KVR Studio Manager Public Beta
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:55 pm I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about- if you don't want KVR to have your data, don't install the app! I'm not sure how necessary it is in 2024, most of my plugs have some sort of inbuilt 'update' alert.
And make sure to not register here, or use the website at all, because there is similar stuff done with your "private" data.

AFAIK My Machine ID is already in the hands of most manufacturers so I do not mind one more and I thank you for this amazing tool. Today I started to use it and installed too many updates that I have missed. Concerned parties can simply not use it. No need to be aggresive over a free product that you are not forced to use. If the explanations are not convincing for you just ignore it. Isnt it easier than the hussle?

Machine ID is used often for activating plugins and DAW's, and has been for decades. They are harmless, and can even change to new Machine ID's when performing minor OS and/or mobo BIOS updates.

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:40 pm
SLiC wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:55 pm I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about- if you don't want KVR to have your data, don't install the app! I'm not sure how necessary it is in 2024, most of my plugs have some sort of inbuilt 'update' alert.
And make sure to not register here, or use the website at all, because there is similar stuff done with your "private" data.
Be constructive. You have a right to your own opinion, but you seem to lack knowledge of what is personal data and what is not. That is not a good starting point to tell others what to do.

nonstatic wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:53 pm Machine ID is used often for activating plugins and DAW's, and has been for decades. They are harmless, and can even change to new Machine ID's when performing minor OS and/or mobo BIOS updates.
It is harmless when it's only on your local machine. But when it's shared and combined with other data it can tell a lot about you and what you do on your computer. This thread was not meant to criticise the use of machine id, but to get better insight in what you sign up for when you use the app and the online database. Like all free things you have to ask if it's really free, or if you are paying with something else. Like your data. Which is worth more than many seem to think.

ozinga wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:48 am AFAIK My Machine ID is already in the hands of most manufacturers so I do not mind one more and I thank you for this amazing tool. Today I started to use it and installed too many updates that I have missed. Concerned parties can simply not use it. No need to be aggresive over a free product that you are not forced to use. If the explanations are not convincing for you just ignore it. Isnt it easier than the hussle?
This might make sense to you if you replace machineID with SSN in that sentence. Does the bank have that, sure, the IRS, sure, in fact it's in many databases. So, do you mind if your SSN is in McDonald's database because they claim that they need it to offer you discounts?

One doesn't have to be paranoid to want to restrict their data as much as possible within the context of needing to live their lives. I think often, data is collected for the convenience of the entity doing the collection, not because it's necessary.

Return to “KVR Studio Manager”