A glitch in the Linnstrument? Help requested.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

check this out, has anyone else ran into an issue like this? And if so, how did you fix it? Thakns in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7P-ZQBPfW8

Just shooting in the dark here, because I'm nowhere near my LinnStrument or iPad; but if you've got both splits pointed at Animoog simultaneously, what are the chances you simply have a MIDI conflict going on, or otherwise have the wrong per-note channels sellected for one or both of the splits?

Cheers!

Sclurbs wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:31 pm has anyone else ran into an issue like this?
No, what firmware version are you using?

John the Savage wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:00 am Just shooting in the dark here, because I'm nowhere near my LinnStrument or iPad; but if you've got both splits pointed at Animoog simultaneously, what are the chances you simply have a MIDI conflict going on, or otherwise have the wrong per-note channels sellected for one or both of the splits?

Cheers!
The chances for that are literally 0%. If you watched the video I linked you can see I have the same exact per-note channels for each of the splits. It's literally the same exact info being sent for each one of them. I'm only sending info from one split at at time so no chance of a conflict.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:55 am
Sclurbs wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:31 pm has anyone else ran into an issue like this?
No, what firmware version are you using?
the most recent one...

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry about the problem. MIDI and MPE can be a confusing mess. :)

I noticed that your video didn't show your assigned Per-Note channels. (In Per-Split settings, the View column [2] is set to show only the assigned Main channel and not the Per-Note channels.) This is important because you're using Channel Per Note mode, so each touch's messages are sent over those channels in rotation, not the Main channel. My guess is that your assigned Per-Note channels for the right split don't match the assigned receiving channels for your synth.

I also noticed that Timbre/Y is set to CC1 for both splits, not CC74 as you state in the video.

I'm wondering why you're using Split mode if you're sending both splits to the same synth? Split mode is intended to use with two different synths, one for each split, for example bass on the left split and piano on the right split.

You're using LinnStrument's Channel Per Note mode, so I suspect that you're intending to use MPE. If so, then I notice that you're using non-MPE assignments. It's hard to tell from your video but I think your synth is Animoog on iPad. If so and if your intent is to use MPE, then I suggest that it would be much easier if you simply set both LinnStrument and Animoog for MPE:

1) In LinnStrument, in Per-Split Setting, hold ChPerNote for 1 second. This will change all other relevant settings for MPE use, Lower Zone. (If you're running an old software version, this may not work, so please update your LinnStrument to the current 2.3.3 software.)

2) In AniMoog, set its MIDI settings for MPE, Lower Zone.

If you want to use Split mode, then you must use a DAW or MIDI routing software in your iPad to create a second instance of AniMoog, which will permit a different sound for the second split. Then:

1) In LinnStrument, in Per-Split Setting, select the Right Split, then hold ChPerNote for 1 second. This will change all other relevant settings for MPE use, Upper Zone.

2) In AniMoog, set its MIDI settings for MPE, Upper Zone.

To make it easier, please send me an email at the support address. If you like, we can do a video call in which I can step you through the process. There's also a helpful page on my site's LinnStrument Support page called "What is MPE?" that will help you understand MPE concepts like Main/Master channels, Per-Note/Member channels, and Lower/Upper zones.

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 pm I noticed that your video didn't show your assigned Per-Note channels. (In Per-Split settings, the View column [2] is set to show only the assigned Main channel and not the Per-Note channels.) This is important because you're using Channel Per Note mode, so each touch's messages are sent over those channels in rotation, not the Main channel.
Vindicated!

Precisely my point.

You can thank me later, Sclurbs... I accept beer. ;)

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”