Do Linux users tend to be somewhat paranoid?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apologies for the clickbait title, but I've concluded that most people here expressing concerns or engaging in debates about licensing, copy protection systems for plugins, or speculating on the fate of a company going out of service, etc., as well as those worrying about the compatibility of a 50-years old sample library with a contemporary Kontakt version, tend to be predominantly Linux users. Could this be accurate, or am I mistaken? It's just an observation on my part.

Or perhaps just tired of jumping hoops to keep a running system? Paranoia nah! old yep.

FrettedSynth wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:29 pm Or perhaps just tired of jumping hoops to keep a running system? Paranoia nah! old yep.
This is what I mean. Have you had bad experiences with previous systems, or do Linux users typically prioritize security and privacy more than users of other operating systems?

For the most part all the OS,es I have used worked well. DOS, Macos 7.5 - 9, win95, win98, winxp, win7, win10 and win11. None offer what I have gained by moving to Linux. That is the system is not machine specific. With my current install I can run on any machine with the full install complete in about an hour.

So yeah it is as you say a means to keep what I have alive. Just for different reasons.

Still running Windows 95 in a Faraday cage. I don't trust dodgy Linux.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:59 pm Still running Windows 95 in a Faraday cage. I don't trust dodgy Linux.
Groovy

I think the question has things the wrong way around: people who are mistrustful of commercial software licensing and support will tend to be drawn to the FOSS ecosystem that includes Linux.

But it is not the only reason people use Linux.

FrettedSynth wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:29 pm Or perhaps just tired of jumping hoops to keep a running system?
That would be the last reason for me to install Linux. Actually, it rather resembled jumping through hoops to get or keep things running in the past.

But then, the Linuxers often forget that. Gift horse.

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:20 pm That would be the last reason for me to install Linux. Actually, it rather resembled jumping through hoops to get or keep things running in the past.

But then, the Linuxers often forget that. Gift horse.
Not as hard as you make it sound. Learning curve yep! So it was with all of the other OS'es I mentioned. Not the past only! but continues still today.

Use what works best for you, don't for a minute think yours are the only experiences people have with Linux.

I've only recently become an initiate to the Order of The Golden Penguin, but it wasn't out of paranoia. I was just jaded with the state of things with Apple and Microsoft.

The silicon Macs are impressive for power and efficiency but the lack of user repair/upgrade is a dealbreaker for me. That and I can't remember the last time macOS got a feature I found exciting, useful or even mildly interesting. Sorry Tim Apple, I guess I just Think Different now.

And I don't even know where to start with Microsoft. Suffice to say, all I was learning with most updates was that there was some new feature added I had to find out how to disable. I thought gaming would keep me tied to Windows forever but when I saw how well things ran with Proton, it was literally game over.

Any "paranoia" I have about activation was around long before I even considered a move from macOS to be viable. I don't begrudge developers the right to protect their work, but I place a higher value on my investment. When developers like u-he, AudioThing, Melda etc can offer mechanisms that are customer-friendly I don't see why I should accept anything that can take away my tools at a later date. Some people might not worry about this and see software as disposable, but I don't.

Anyways, that's just how it has been for me. My Windows PC is Debian now and macOS is still running my "studio", but at some point I'll have to jump ship and it can't be to Microsoft.
Image Image Image Image

I thought Linux software was portable and they had to install dependencies for it to work.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I like to spend money on gear. But I'm tired of dealing with overly restrictive copy protection, I don't want to think about if I may lose access to products I've bought, and I don't want to be at the mercy of a support team. I want products with a long lifetime.

Some copy protection schemes are working against these goals. It's like with many thing or with subscriptions. There is a certain range that is great for customers and vendors. And from time to time, the disadvantage for customers becomes too great. When people accept everything, it will constantly shift further and some years later you have to accept things that you would not buy some years back, because it's silently accepted and you have no choice.

Same thing with subscription only. If Wave hadn't had the protests, many others would probably have followed with a similar subscription only model. Rent to own in combination with a substitution is great for many on the other hand. A reasonable copy protection to prevent fraud can also be a good thing. It's about balance.

Remember how it is with Adobe. I don't want this kind of model in the audio world.
Last edited by midi_transmission on Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midi_transmission wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:41 pm I like to spend money on gear. But I'm tired to manage too strong restrictions of copy protections, being afraid to lose bought products and I don't want to be at the mercy of a support team. And I want products with a long lifetime.

Some copy protection schemes are working against these goals. It's like with many thing or with subscriptions. There is a certain range that is great for customers and vendors. And from time to time, the disadvantage for customers becomes too great. When people accept everything, it will constantly shift further and some years later you have to accept things that you would not buy some years back, because it's silently accepted and you have no choice.

Same thing with subscription only. If Wave hadn't had the protests, many others would probably have followed with a similar subscription only model. Rent to own in combination with a substitution is great for many on the other hand. A reasonable copy protection to prevent fraud can also be a good thing. It's about balance.

Remember how it is with Adobe. I don't want this kind of model in the audio world.
Is Linux your primary operating system?

No
Last edited by midi_transmission on Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ah ok, thanks. So there's no connection backing up my theory.

Return to “Instruments”