dynamics

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great, I have been looking to do some serious modifications to the LinnStrument's firmware for my own needs, so any help understanding the densely packed code is deeply appreciated.

wakyct wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:40 am Another idea could be to set up the low row cc fader to control volume? Think of it as the volume knob on a guitar.
That's a great idea. I just quickly set something up. I can set a fader on the right split that only affects sound I play with my right hand, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I might go with a pedal eventually, but the fader I can try right now, and it's free.

Note to anyone else who wants to try this: You have to configure the low row as a fader, which requires hidden configuration described in Use Low Row as Mod Wheel on https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... ips-tricks
John the Savage wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:52 am I think this is a viable solution. Compress the dynamic range of the sound, and ride a volume or expression pedal to adjust the overall amplitude as needed. Personally, I would opt to do this with my feet. But if you're content to only use your hands, the above suggestion to use the low row CC functionality is a good idea too.
Thanks for confirming I'm not totally on the wrong track here.

Tim

Hi rtwfroody,

If you'd care to write me at the support address, I'd like to learn your name, serial number (to learn the unit's age), if it's running the current 2.3.3 software, and whether you've tried the Velocity Sensitivity settings, to rule out the simple things.

Also, I'd like to learn if the velocity problem occurs the same on all pads or only on specific pads? If the latter, this could indicate a problem in the touch sensor.

Beyond those things, it's fair to say that LinnStrument's velocity is not as accurate or consistent as a quality MIDI piano keyboard. I discuss this on the LinnStrument FAQ page, Pre-Sales tab, FAQ "What are the limitations of LinnStrument's sensor technology?", paragraph 1:

"Velocity accuracy and consistency, while very good on LinnStrument, is inherently less accurate than a high-quality MIDI piano keyboard for two reasons: First, rubber pads lack the physical momentum of a moving key, which helps your finger to move at a consistent rate. Second, pads sense velocity by tracking the pad's pressure envelope until it starts to fall from its peak, which is inherently less accurate than measuring the time for a piano key to move between two electrical contacts. Also, some people may find LinnStrument's velocity accuracy to be less accurate than a high-quality drum pad controller. This is because sensing three signals (X, Y and Z) for 200 or 128 pads at high speed with low latency has inherent engineering limitations that don't exist for sensing only pressure signals from only 16 to 64 drum pads. Generally, LinnStrument players find that giving up some velocity accuracy is worth the benefits of LinnStrument's polyphonic sensing of 3 continuous dimensions for each of 200 or 128 note pads on a large playing surface. You can get a general idea of the velocity accuracy by watching some of the many LinnStrument owner videos, especially those of two-handed piano-style play."

When you email me, I'll try to help determine if any hardware problem exists, and will help you tweak the settings (including possibly tweaking a hidden deep setting called Touch Sensor Prescale) to get the best velocity accuracy for your playing style.

Thank you for owning a LinnStrument.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”