Web app to set and save LinnStrument colors

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wrote a web app which allows you to set and save your LinnStrument color patterns. You can find it at https://forrcaho.github.io/linnstrument_colorizer/ .

Layout is for the full-sized LinnStrument, I think you can use the first 16 columns and it will work for the 128, but I don't have one to test with. If it does work, I'll probably add a way to switch the grid size.

Please give it a try and let me know if you encounter any issues.

Thank you for sharing your project.

Nice! Looks very well designed.

The fact that the Linnstrument can store only 3 light patterns feels a little limiting to me. Would it be possible to add a "save as..." button to your app to save the current light pattern as a midi file to the computer's hard disk? And perhaps a "load from" button as well, to load a midi file? Then one could have an unlimited number of patterns.

TallKite: It would probably make more sense to store the data in a different format, that could be loaded back to generate the midi. I'll put it on my list, but I'm trying to prioritize actually making music now, since I just got my LinnStrument.

If you have a github account, creating an issue at https://github.com/forrcaho/linnstrumen ... zer/issues would make me more likely to remember it. Even better would be to submit a patch, of course.

I see you're a microtonalist; I'm curious how you use LinnStrument colors to map different scales. I wrote this app with the idea that it would help with alternative scales, but so far I've been using the standard tuning in unquantized mode and finding just intervals that way.

forrcaho wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:28 am I'm curious how you use LinnStrument colors to map different scales.
The skip-fretting custom firmware was briefly showcased in the February 6th, 2024 monthly Zoom meeting, but if you want to read the code yourself, here is Kite's branch on the GitHub repository. If you need instructions on how to sketch and upload the custom firmware using Arduino IDE with Linux distributions, let me know and I will provide them to you.

forrcaho wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:28 am If you have a github account, creating an issue... Even better would be to submit a patch, of course.
Issue submitted. Sorry, can't submit a patch, I don't know json.
forrcaho wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:28 am I'm curious how you use LinnStrument colors to map different scales.
I'm working on a fork that will tune the Linnstrument's midi output to any edo up to 55. It allows multi-colored scales of up to 55 notes. Lots of other features too. If you want to see it, I can demo it at the weekly jitsi videochat.

Btw. you could create a link from the web app back to the GitHub Repo (and mention the issues) and vice versa.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

TallKite wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:00 am If you want to see it, I can demo it at the weekly jitsi videochat.
You may want to be specific about which Jitsi Meet video conference, but I am certain you are easily able to demonstrate within both of them back-to-back if necessary.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:18 am You may want to be specific about which Jitsi Meet video conference, but I am certain you are easily able to demonstrate within both of them back-to-back if necessary.
OK, I looked around the web forum to find out what this "Jitsi Meet" is, and I found one -- Saturdays from noon-2pm Pacific. There are two?

I really wish there was a better place for long-lived information than in the forum -- while messages don't go away, they do get buried, and important resources are mixed in with general conversation. Maybe someone should set up a LinnStrument wiki somewhere? Or does such a thing already exist?

forrcaho wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:22 pm OK, I looked around the web forum to find out what this "Jitsi Meet" is, and I found one -- Saturdays from noon-2pm Pacific. There are two?
Yes, current suggestions is Saturday for LinnStrumentalists, and Sunday for the Kite Guitar community.

https://kiteguitar.com/contact/

Kite will be participating in both weekly video conferences, so there is ambiguity as to which one they are referring to for demonstration.
forrcaho wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:22 pm Maybe someone should set up a LinnStrument wiki somewhere? Or does such a thing already exist?
No such LinnStrument wiki exists, and I currently only offer ephemeral services for various reasons. You can try asking Roger about creating one.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very cool web app, thank you for sharing with us, forrcaho!

FranklyFlawless wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:03 pm Kite will be participating in both weekly video conferences, so there is ambiguity as to which one they are referring to for demonstration.
I meant the Saturday one, since that's about the Linnstrument only.

Great, I appreciate the clarification.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:03 pm
forrcaho wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:22 pm Maybe someone should set up a LinnStrument wiki somewhere? Or does such a thing already exist?
No such LinnStrument wiki exists, and I currently only offer ephemeral services for various reasons. You can try asking Roger about creating one.
I had a bit of an email exchange with Roger about this, and he made it clear that this is the sort of thing he expects the community to take care of.

Okay, well I am not interested in hosting it myself due to my domain name, among other reasons, but I can provide technical assistance if there is any community interest in following through with this concept. I suggest creating a separate dedicated thread to contain such discussions.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”