Atoms - Baby Audio - Physical Modeling Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atoms

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:26 pm Something about randomiser is also broken on Apple M/Logic, i was able to break it consistently by randomizing it enough times. Sometimes after 3, somtimes after 15 randomisations, a parameter combo appears that causes a loud pop and what appears as NaN.
We have a new update out today that should hopefully fix it.
babyaud.io

BABY Audio wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:48 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:26 pm Something about randomiser is also broken on Apple M/Logic, i was able to break it consistently by randomizing it enough times. Sometimes after 3, somtimes after 15 randomisations, a parameter combo appears that causes a loud pop and what appears as NaN.
We have a new update out today that should hopefully fix it.
the question, foosnark ask it also, are all parameters exposed, with MPE, you hear sometimes things, with pressure, that isn't mapped...

the randomization works excellent, but i like to be in control.

so the question is; if you make your own sounds, there is by the way no INIT preset...., and from INIT, is all control available to the user? do things happen, that are 'beyond my control'...?

and will slide also be a part of MPE?

and maybe the question is also; will this be added, or will other things be added.

i like it, also the sounds, with randomization which i normally, and i mean not normally, i never use randomization, only -well- sometimes, for fun.

so i it is the cart, to buy, but i have still these questions.

I was eagerly anticipating this, but after trying the demo I'm disappointed and probably won't buy it until/unless more options are added.

First, lack of assignable MPE Slide within the plugin is a major negative for me. And requiring all midi cc other than Pressure to be assigned outside the plugin (in the DAW) severely limits the playability of presets, including Baby Audio's planned expansion packs. Requiring the user to set these up in the DAW for every preset is a huge time suck and a major reason for me not to buy this or any of the expansions.

I was really hoping this would be good for expressively playable vibrato, especially via MPE pitchbend. But it's much worse than SWAM for MPE pitchbend vibrato. Pitchbend doesn't seem to be incorporated into the physical model, just applied after the fact. Even worse, the plugin doesn't allow us to use Pressure (or Slide) to control the physically modeled vibrato, and offers extremely limited control of the vibrato (no way to control direction for example for greater expressivity).

And even worse than that, when I try to use MPE pitchbend for playable vibrato with the more "realistic" patches, it generates harsh, unpleasant noise, even with Chaos off.

The effects are shocking limited. No delay? Seriously? And reverb only has "Size" and "Dry/wet"? (And doesn't sound as impressive as Spaced Out or Crystalline.) No compressors? Why didn't you just port over limited versions of the FX from your other plugins? If you plan on selling preset packs, you should really add more options for FX.
Last edited by Ou_Tis on Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indeed slide not implemented, ánd pitchbend of 48 semitones...

i am on the fence, in this state i can use it as a source for other instruments, but not as instrument itself...
after some treatment in Novum, or MYTH, for example; it can deliver now.

but, well.... a great synth, with too many limitations or strange choices.

is this a first version, will it be extended.

and my questions, still stand, are all controls exposed?

I wish you could rip open the GUI to have an "expert" view below it so you can tweak and fuddle with the physical model.
The 4 options are nice, but i want to be able to f**k around with the changes of the four models manually

Physical modeling synths are hard to get right :)

It's the opposite of Outersect Modeler - that one is a fuggly cramped illogical piece of UI mess, and this one is gorgeous and well designed with simple control, but too constricted. I wish i could do more with it.

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:14 pm I wish you could rip open the GUI to have an "expert" view below it so you can tweak and fuddle with the physical model.
The 4 options are nice, but i want to be able to f**k around with the changes of the four models manually

Physical modeling synths are hard to get right :)

It's the opposite of Outersect Modeler - that one is a fuggly cramped illogical piece of UI mess, and this one is gorgeous and well designed with simple control, but too constricted. I wish i could do more with it.
i approve this message!

(the Outersect Modeler seems tempting, didn't buy it, but at a later moment, i think i will... after demo....)

it seems that pressure adds to DRIVE even if it is not set to DRIVE....

but an expert view (or we all overlook something....)!

@Baby Audio:
  • Can we exclude (lock) parameters from being randomized?
  • Is there a way to control the amount of randomization?
  • Can we feed in audio, as someone else already asked, and use it as a resonator like Objekt?
If everything is checked with yes, I'm all in.

enCiphered wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:32 pm @Baby Audio:
  • Can we exclude (lock) parameters from being randomized?
  • Is there a way to control the amount of randomization?
  • Can we feed in audio, as someone else already asked, and use it as a resonator like Objekt?
If everything is checked with yes, I'm all in.
Download a demo
1) yes
2) sort of (there's total randomize button, and a "variation" that randomises less)
3) no sidechain input in logic, and no "fx" version of the plug either. so i reckon no.

I wanted this to be like Objekt, but outside of Reason.
It’s not.
A missed opportunity I think.
Seems like there’s not enough sculpting options, like it’s missing an edit page. It all seems based on hitting a random button, damn shame!
Anyone else bored of hitting random buttons yet? lol 😂

enCiphered wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:32 pm
I’m not sure how good a resonator this would be. Has anyone tried to switch off all effects, modulation, etc, and just listened to the sound source? It sounds to me as if all the cinematic stuff comes from the reverb and the waveshaping. I just wish the user had more control on the PM design parameters.

I think it sounds great and most importantly it's easy to use.

Most PM synths I've used are a PITA to use with impenetrable UIs and arcane terminology.

Atoms reminds of Modus but it's way more pleasant to use.

v1md wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:10 pm
enCiphered wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:32 pm
I’m not sure how good a resonator this would be. Has anyone tried to switch off all effects, modulation, etc, and just listened to the sound source? It sounds to me as if all the cinematic stuff comes from the reverb and the waveshaping. I just wish the user had more control on the PM design parameters.
But isn't that the case with most synths.

A simple saw wave isn't going to set anyone's world on fire.

I think of these things as instruments rather than tools. ie. Something that is greater than the some of its parts.

It's very easy to get Atoms sounding nice and there's decent enough range in the sound.

I like it because it has an identity rather than some blank canvas with a million parameters.

kraster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:36 pm I think it sounds great and most importantly it's easy to use.

Most PM synths I've used are a PITA to use with impenetrable UIs and arcane terminology.

Atoms reminds of Modus but it's way more pleasant to use.
The better way to do it is to have easy to use macros or simple default parameters for people who don't want to get deep into complicated sound design and more in-depth parameters for those who do (and for your preset designers, who would then map complex parameter modulations to the macros and/or to midi cc, MPE Pressure, Slide, etc.).

So I went ahead and made contact via email. I was/am a bit upset about the "MPE" support (basically poly aftertouch and that's it), but it seems they're already thinking about expanding it for some upgrade in the future, so I'm good. I agree a "guts exposing" feature makes sense with these macro driven GUI's, that would make total sense.

Tried the demo. Enjoyed some of the presets, but it starts to sound quite samey after a while. Also, my ears grew tired of that lo-fi sound it has. It sounds kind of muddy. All that aside, I might still pick it up because there's something about it I like.

Return to “Instruments”