Atoms - Baby Audio - Physical Modeling Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atoms

Hi Everyone,
We're excited to announce the release of Atoms: https://babyaud.io/atoms

Atoms is a new kind of synth plugin that uses cutting edge physical modeling to generate an endless variety of organic and otherworldly sounds. Use it to build rich and alive textures the world hasn’t heard before.

There's much more info on the product page, so we'll just leave you with a couple of videos here. We're excited to hear what you think and would love your feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP_OUP9nQCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9V_othnsPw
babyaud.io

Sounds and looks gorgeous.

Lots of nasty resonances in the sonic character. Soothe helps mitigate these. I don't find that kind of sound particularily musical, for my uses at least Otherwise some interesting sounds! I'll keep demoing...

Seems kinda neat. Any chance of an FX version? I'd like to feed random sources to this kind of thing.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Looks really interesting!

Only thing I'm a bit worried about is that everything is in super wide stereo. This is cool and all but would be nice if there was some control over the stereo width within a preset. Heck, would be cool if we had a knob dedicated to this with LFO modulation just like the 6 main knobs!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Hello, just checked out Atoms and wow, that sounds wicked! Love the idea of mixing organic vibes with out-of-this-world sounds. Gonna dive into those videos and see what it's all about. Cheers for sharing!

The guy in the video seems to love to see himself talking? If one talks about the UI, show the UI! The watcher might not have starred at it as long as the developer or as the person thinking about making a video about it. What an annoying video.

Feedback for Baby Audio:
- the first video is too focused on Motion Graphics. We buy plugins for sound capabilities, more sound examples would be better than old stock graphics.

- the longer video seems to have been scripted with a maximum of keywords thrown in. Wordy impressive text does not replace sound capabilities. And in that respect the few I hear do not seem that impressive nor attractive to my ears, personal opinion.
Hard pass for me, but good luck anyway.

I don't know. Like, the effects are so heavy that you can't really hear the sound source any more. The presets kind of show the user how to get more common VA sounds of this, like the PM part is not worth exploring.

Sounds interesting, will demo. Probably good for eerie psytrance atmos stuff. For me, it comes to over $100 aussie dollars which is hard to justify. But who knows, if it's good, I'll bite. I only have NI Prism currently for physical modelling and find it confusing as hell.

After trying the demo, this one's not for me. I don't feel like there's that much variety in timbre and I'm not in love with what it does (once you peel away the reverb). It also feels like there are too many settings chosen for the user without giving an option to set them.

Specific quirks:

- The "MPE" button enables/disables polyphonic pressure response, it's completely independent of whether you're using MPE or MIDI. Turning it on assigns pressure to some parameters under the hood even if Motion is "off" for everything. That can include inharmonic growly weirdness you might not want.

- MPE pitch does work... but it's stuck at 2 semitones and can't be adjusted, so forget about slides of any length. (The usual default seems to be 48 and there's normally someplace to change it.)

- Along with the hidden pressure assignments, there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust velocity sensitivity. You pretty much have to adjust your playing style to get the sound you want, which... is kind of cool in theory, but it just feels like the options were omitted.

I've been trying the demo and love the sounds, but what information (if any) does the central display convey for the different profiles? And is there an initialize patch function?

It sounds like everything's being fed through a tiny dampened room convolution that can't be turned off, like I'm never really listening to the dry sound of the synth. There are one or two interesting presets, but I find it hard to make something I like. No matter what I do, everything has the same grungy character, the only distinction being the envelope and modulation settings. Perhaps a more persistent sound designer can make it shine. Pass for me.

Tried it.
It's sort of cool, but too limited for my taste.
The sound is nice but appears pretty repetitive. I also feel like there's nothing much i couldn't get from Triple Cheese or Sculpture with some effort, drive seems to be the defining parameter for most interesting.
By feeding Triple Cheese intro a good saturator i can get a lot from it that sounds extremely similar.

Randomizer is cool, but everything sounds so similar it's just really not much that you can get out of it.

Something about randomiser is also broken on Apple M/Logic, i was able to break it consistently by randomizing it enough times. Sometimes after 3, somtimes after 15 randomisations, a parameter combo appears that causes a loud pop and what appears as NaN.

Considering Triple Cheese is free, I'm not seeing 59$ value here unfortunately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paramita123 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:26 am Feedback for Baby Audio:
- the first video is too focused on Motion Graphics. We buy plugins for sound capabilities, more sound examples would be better than old stock graphics.

- the longer video seems to have been scripted with a maximum of keywords thrown in. Wordy impressive text does not replace sound capabilities. And in that respect the few I hear do not seem that impressive nor attractive to my ears, personal opinion.
Hard pass for me, but good luck anyway.
This is a fair point. The second video is meant to be a video manual that explains every single feature and the first one is just an announcement trailer. We're currently putting together some new content that will be more focused on showing different forms of sound generation in Atoms.

Until we have it, this video by Joshua Casper actually does a good job at showing some of the different sounds you can get with Atoms just by hitting the randomizer for 4 mins straight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEsPCD405Gk
babyaud.io

Return to “Instruments”