Let‘s speculate about 5.2

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:49 am
Or they needlessly change something that most people were happy with like the pop up browser..
It was needed. The popup browser and the side browser are the same browser, displayed different ways. One of the reasons it was needed was because the old browser had hardwired tabs for data types and over time, Bitwig had added a bunch of new ones. The old browser didn't support all the new data types and the old structure, which worked okay for a few types, wouldn't work well for a bunch of them. So a core change was needed.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:47 pm
It was needed. The popup browser and the side browser are the same browser, displayed different ways. One of the reasons it was needed was because the old browser had hardwired tabs for data types and over time, Bitwig had added a bunch of new ones. The old browser didn't support all the new data types and the old structure, which worked okay for a few types, wouldn't work well for a bunch of them. So a core change was needed.
Even if it was needed bigwig could do better. I know there are people who like new browser and glad it really fits their workflow. But on the other hand there are quiet a lot of users finding the browser overwhelmingly unintuitive, complicating and uninformative. In my personal eyes it look like excel spreadsheet with a lot of data and you have to figure out at all times what is going on. Why it show this info when clicked on this button. And it’s just adds too many steps.
I understand that there alway be some unhappy users but on this one I think it’s 50/50 which bring me to a first statement. Bigwig could do better.

vroteg wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:13 pm Even if it was needed bigwig could do better.
And they will... the old browser was refined over some years. The new browser still has some rough edges and it will be refined over time too.

However, there are lots of things possible now that simply could not be done before.

I can't say I am a fan of the new browser in its current form and can think of dozens of things I would have tackled before changing the browser for whatever reason. I suspect if you asked most users what needed improving very few would have said the browser.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I think the new browser is one of the best things they have added, I just can't see why people would want the old one unless this is just based on what they are used to.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm I can't say I am a fan of the new browser in its current form and can think of dozens of things I would have tackled before changing the browser for whatever reason. I suspect if you asked most users what needed improving very few would have said the browser.
The perspective for users and developers is quite different. Developers have a much deeper perspective and understanding of the software. For example, a developer can see that to add feature X, they will have to re-write something else. And then when they mention that they re-wrote that something else, some user who thinks they are smart, will complain that doing so was a waste of time.

The original pop up browser did everything I needed in terms of a 'text' based search paradigm. The new browser 'for me' is unnecessarily complicated and not very helpful to the way I work.

The next generation DAW browsers are 'sound' based and find samples and pre-sets that 'sound' similar without tagging...that's genuinely very useful (i.e. for hot swapping drums samples or in the rack). This is the type of development that I would have liked to have seen personally as it makes things faster and more fluid.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

i wished the updated the waveforms in bitwig they look so fcking bad its beyond me.

Woooohooo, I know what I'll be playing with tonight :phones:

For me this is the most disappointing update so far (and I didn't care much for the last one), perhaps I was expecting too much with it being a long wait and the 10 year anniversary and all....I honestly wont even bother downloading this one until its out of beta, I use fabfilter compressor, I won't use this at all.

Very disappointing update for me too, the workflow updates are welcome but the other additions are very underwhelming.

Well, I think it looks fantastic.

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:43 pm For me this is the most disappointing update so far (and I didn't care much for the last one), perhaps I was expecting too much with it being a long wait and the 10 year anniversary and all....I honestly wont even bother downloading this one until its out of beta, I use fabfilter compressor, I won't use this at all.
Shocking.

I’ve got my ‘new release bingo card’ out. This should not take long.

Return to “Bitwig”