Let‘s speculate about 5.2

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm Well, I think it looks fantastic.
I have to try stuff out for a while to see how well I like it. But this is a potentially big update.

If the GPU hardware acceleration works well, then that is a big deal. That will benefit just about everyone.

Then there is the improved beat detection and tempo stuff. If I read the changelog correctly, then they added tempo mapping!

Again no user requests were acknowledged. To me personally nothin interesting. Unfortunately no money goes to bitwig this year…

vroteg wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm Again no user requests were acknowledged.
Hardware accelerated GPU rendering was one of the biggest user requests.

That benefits every single user and is worth the price of a upgrade right there.

Compressor plus… i was right 🤣✨👌

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:02 pm

That benefits every single user and is worth the price of a upgrade right there.
I don’t see this requests here: https://bitwish.top/c/features/5

And I have never heard online or offline someone want GPU acceleration. It’s a great stuff and hats off to them for implementing it as it indeed requires a lot of work and resources but:
Retrospective midi recording
Midi comping
Step sequencer
Grid lines
GUI skins

I think those were the top wishes from community.

PS: I know we not allowed to say especially to you anything other than “what a great update” but GPU acceleration was never top request.

Be honest…is there anyone out there who wanted ‘a compressor’ as a headline update?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

vroteg wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 pm And I have never heard online or offline someone want GPU acceleration.
That's cause you are not paying attention... people complain all the time about the sluggish GUI on bigger projects.

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:21 pm Be honest…is there anyone out there who wanted ‘a compressor’ as a headline update?
Doesn't matter to me what order they put on the changelog. There's obviously a whole lot more than a compressor in 5.2... but if you want to pretend that's all there is in the upgrade, carry on with your trolling.

vroteg wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:02 pm

I don’t see this requests here: https://bitwish.top/c/features/5
I don't see why there is a trend right now to mention this site as if it matters... I don't like lobbying and even so, the most requested feature has... 40 votes. What a joke.
And I have never heard online or offline someone want GPU acceleration.
Then congratulation, you are not much online.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:27 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:21 pm Be honest…is there anyone out there who wanted ‘a compressor’ as a headline update?
Doesn't matter to me what order they put on the changelog. There's obviously a whole lot more than a compressor in 5.2... but if you want to pretend that's all there is in the upgrade, carry on with your trolling.
Trolling? I have been a user since Bitwig first came out, sung its praises when it merited it and criticised it when I haven’t liked what they have done , I’m sure the vast majority of Bitwig users will be disappointed with this update based on what was expected/requested and hoped for in this thread,. I’m glad you like the update and needed a compressor and some eq tools and graphic tweaks…great for you, others who are disappointed not to have midi comping or basic editing improvements may be disappointed. Bitwig remains a sound design tool for me.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:47 pm others who are disappointed not to have midi comping or basic editing improvements may be disappointed.
There's a whole bunch of basic editing improvements in 5.2

pdxindy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:56 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:47 pm others who are disappointed not to have midi comping or basic editing improvements may be disappointed.
How has the midi editing improved? Where is the midi comping? Was a compressor more important? Personally I have lost faith with the direction after the last 2 or 3 updates, I can see no reason to have not finished comping or improved midi editing in the last 3 or 4 years…just too many rack devices that personally I don’t need. I just don’t get the developers priority’s..I guess it’s just not meant for me, if I had learnt French in school I guess I would have a phrase for the situation, but I didn’t…such is life.

:lol:
A bunch of unrelated keyboard shortcuts doing always the opposite from one section to the other I wouldn´t call "Basic editing improvements"
This is at least more confusing than it was before...
For me, Bitwig was always and stays 90% instrument and 10% DAW...and I cannot tell I would like it...
As soon as you don´t have need for most devices because you´ve got better 3rd party stuff, any MPE need and polyphonic modulation apart of the usual stuff, there is sadly not much left ... which is a pity...

Trancit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:09 pm
:lol:
A bunch of unrelated keyboard shortcuts doing always the opposite from one section to the other I wouldn´t call "Basic editing improvements"
This is at least more confusing than it was before...
For me, Bitwig was always and stays 90% instrument and 10% DAW...and I cannot tell I would like it...
As soon as you don´t have need for most devices because you´ve got better 3rd party stuff, any MPE need and polyphonic modulation apart of the usual stuff, there is sadly not much left ... which is a pity...
I think it is a bit early to judge the shortcuts.

I really don't understand all this excitement. I generally try to use tools that fit my workflow. If midi comping is a primary need for you, I really don't get why you use Bitwig.
Also in KVR there was a huge debate about hardware acceleration, some people saying that Bitwig is unusable, now I understand that the new story is nobody care about it.

Finally for the devices, you may be incredibly productive and smart but on my side, even if I have full izotope and full Fabfilter, I will need a few days or weeks to decide if I don't use them. For example I still use EQ2 and EQ+ a lot because of the incredible easiness of side chaining, way more practical than pro Q3 (that I love for other features).

So in short, it seems a lot of drama for nothing.

It's the same with every update. Coincidentally it's also always the same people who "are back to Ableton" and find it necessary to announce that in every Bitwig thread and comments section they can find.

The core DAW changes like keyboard editing and a new graphics engine might not be sexy (which is the reason the compressor was made the headline feature instead), but they're absolutely foundational and necessary usability changes. If anything, addressing such core issues rather than chasing the top items on trending feature lists increases my trust in Bitwig's product leadership. I wish my employer handled our roadmap like that 😂

Of course, if your main relationship with the software isn't making music, but "waiting for features X, Y, and Z to arrive", I can understand the disappointment when that isn't happening again. But here's a hint: It'll just keep and keep on happening, and maybe it's time to actually move on.

Return to “Bitwig”