Waveform recording missing audio

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

Wonder if you can help, new to music/DAW's/electronic instruments.

I have an electric drumkit I'm trying to record, I'm setup connected to the PC via USB and on Waveform with BFD as a plugin. Each hit of my drum has a sound as I play it and registers on Waveform as well.

When I play a recording back, only a single or sometimes none of the hits have any audio. Screenshot below shows an example recording with multiple hits on the same drum but only the final hit is audible in the recording. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Its probably that your drumkit has different midi note mapping than what your drum software takes by default. You'd need to either go into your drum software and change the individiual drum midi note maps or find a midi effect that can do note remapping and put it before the drum plugin.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:43 pm Its probably that your drumkit has different midi note mapping than what your drum software takes by default. You'd need to either go into your drum software and change the individiual drum midi note maps or find a midi effect that can do note remapping and put it before the drum plugin.
Thanks for the fast reply! The drum software seems to work, every drum I hit gives me the right sound out of it.

In waveform, when I did the test in the screenshot it the same drum hit each time. So if it was a mapping issue I'd assume that single drum would never be audible? But its sporadic, some register, most don't. And thats the same across each drum I test, it clearly shows it registered the input, but won't always play a sound for it in the recording. (When being played however they all have sounds).

Might be some timing issues with the electric drumkit. I seem to remember some of them had odd things in the MIDI data stream, that effectively resulted in a note duration of 0, or a velocity so low it was below the threshold; so depending on the VST processing it, might result in the notes being "silenced" before they get a chance to sound.

Check the notes in the MIDI editor to see that; or have a look at MIDI Monitor to see what the note events effectively look like.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/midimo ... t-piz-here

C0 36 10|2|259 Ch.1 Program Change: 55
B0 20 00 10|2|259 Ch.1 CC #32 (Bank Select (fine)), Value: 0
B0 00 00 10|2|259 Ch.1 CC #0 (Bank Select), Value: 0
90 64 75 10|3|630 Ch.1 Note On: E6 (100), Velocity: 117
80 64 00 10|3|891 Ch.1 Note Off: E6 (100), Velocity: 0
90 64 75 10|4|529 Ch.1 Note On: E6 (100), Velocity: 117
80 64 00 10|4|822 Ch.1 Note Off: E6 (100), Velocity: 0
90 64 7A 11|2|593 Ch.1 Note On: E6 (100), Velocity: 122
80 64 00 11|2|867 Ch.1 Note Off: E6 (100), Velocity: 0
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

BFD definitely uses some interesting drum mapping choices, and I recall they even have a built-in mapping tool to help you convert.

However, you're not importing MIDI drum tracks in from other sources, and are creating your own from a kit, so you definitely shouldn't be seeing this problem (especially if you're not hearing an issue individually). I'm guessing Peter is looking in the right direction for you.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Return to “Tracktion”