You can't... automate... the wheel?? (Minifreak VST)

Official support for: arturia.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Working in Waveform Free with Minifreak V, learning how to use Waveform, I see how to automate parameters, and I can open up a gigantic list of automatable parameters for the minifreak VST -- and nowhere on that entire list of I think over a hundred parameters does there appear the mod wheel!

Please tell me I'm wrong because I really need to automate a mod wheel right now...

Would share screenshot but my screenshot software forces the list to disappear before letting me actually take the shot :/

That's because on a synth, the mod wheel isnt part of the synthesis engine, so its not a parameter.
Its a control(*) that generates modulation for parameters its assigned to. In other words, its a bit like why you dont see automation for the note values to play either.

(* or actually a physical controller, attached to a MIDI keyboard or whatever )

If you want to send a synth modwheel changes, you need to use MIDI, ie CC/Control Change messages see the following for the list...

https://www.paulcecchettimusic.com/full ... c-numbers/

Parameters are internal to the engine, and specific to it, they're separate from MIDI, which comes from 'outside' the engine, and is standardised.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I get it I guess, but it seems like a distinction without a difference, since the minifreak also has these things called "macros", controlled by exactly the same wheel as the mod wheel, which _are_ automatable.

Also, still surprising that I can't just have automation tracks for the things the mod wheel _does_ modulate, and record its effects via those tracks. Mod wheel modulating a parameter ought to have caused that parameter to send out the appropriate CC message.

Rahodees wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:13 pm I get it I guess, but it seems like a distinction without a difference
i dont think you do get it, im afraid. Its not a 'distinction' its quite literally two completely different things. Which is why Waveform deals with them in two different ways. You have automation lanes on tracks, where you have plugins, because automation is track or plugin data. And separate from that you have MIDI CC editing as part of the MIDI editing, because its MIDI data.
The fact that you can assign MIDI to control parameters doesnt make them the same thing.
since the minifreak also has these things called "macros", controlled by exactly the same wheel as the mod wheel, which _are_ automatable.
If you plug in a generic keyboard controller, it'll send your DAW MIDI, it wont send Minifreak macro parameter values.
Also, still surprising that I can't just have automation tracks for the things the mod wheel _does_ modulate, and record its effects via those tracks.
You can automate an exposed parameter, whether or not a MIDI CC is assigned to it. And if you assign a parameter to be controlled by a control on a MIDI device, you can record the automation changes as a result of that device.
What you dont seem to be able to do is send MIDI CC from inside Waveform to a parameter and record the parameter automation changes as a result of that, probably because you dont need to; the MIDI CC is already doing it.
Mod wheel modulating a parameter ought to have caused that parameter to send out the appropriate CC message.
That's not a thing. VST parameter data is separate from MIDI messages.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

"its quite literally two completely different things. Which is why Waveform deals with them in two different ways"

My complaint is with Arturia, not Waveform. The exact same mechanism (as in, literally physically the same object) controls both the mod wheel and one of the macros, and the macro _does_ send CC, so they could have (and why shouldn't they have) had the wheel do so as well. Functionally speaking, the wheel on the minifreak is simply a third macro. Whatever's going on under the hood, the EXPERIENCE is identical. (Granted the wheel is a "macro" that can control more things at once than the other two macros can, fourteen vs four)

I did find, based on what you said, the way to enter CC data for the mod wheel so that seems to be doing the trick.

Return to “Arturia”