Why doesn't Ableton see this as a loop?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am mainly a Reason user, and when I select a loop to export, it exports whatever is between those lines as a loop (since I do not want to export entire project). But not with Ableton. What am I doing wrong here?

P.S. when I click on Render as loop, same shi* happens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

First i would put "render to loop" on.
Also render start and render length seems wrong. It should reflect the display and say something about 81-97.
It's an observation from your pic. I don't use Reason or Ableton.
Added. If you don't want to put it on a cd, put the pcm off.

Saffran wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:55 pm
Thank you. But isn't there a way for Ableton to understand loop by itself like in Reason, without entering values manually?

In Reason if I want to export a loop, I just press "export as loop" and it exports whatever is between those loop brackets. Why isn't it the same with Ableton?
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

If Reason has an 'Export Loop' capability that automatically uses the loop markers, that's nice, but its not necessarily how all DAWs work. If there's no 'Export Loop' function in a DAW it almost certainly still has an 'Export Audio' equivalent that works based on a time selection you've made before you use it, or it defaults to the length of the track. If you want to use the loop markers to denote a time selection for export in Live, clearly you need to let Live know that first. Your image clearly shows that you didnt do that in your instance.

Since your image doesnt seem to match what you say you're trying to do (as Saffran said, you havent selected the loop's time range) then its perhaps kind of difficult to work exactly out what you are actually doing, and why that might not be working for you. But it doesnt appear like you're selecting the timerange properly. So have you tried selecting the loop timerange before Export Audio? You just click on the loop marker.

Im not having any difficulty exporting a time selection as a loop and bringing it back into Live as such.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Saffran wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:55 pm .
:?:

PCM is simply the format in plain WAV and AIFF files. If you want a lossless export (loop or full track) you must have the PCM on.

OP, the reason Ableton is exporting the entire project is because the loop itself isn't selected. You have to click on the "pale grey band" that stretches between the loop markers before selecting Export Audio to have the actual loop selected for export (you can then double check that the start and end positions on the export dialog are actually those of the loop itself).

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:29 am
its perhaps kind of difficult to work exactly out what you are actually doing, and why that might not be working for you.
Actually it's not. It's definitely a quirk in Ableton but you probably internalised it so well you just don't run into it as you perform the same order of steps automatically when exporting loops. .

Eessentially if you make some selection (by e.g dragging) on the arrangement Ableton will "deselect" the markers loop, and if I'm not mistaken (not at the computer rn) even if you simply start playback outside of the loop it will deselect the loop.

If you then go to the export dialog it will default to exporting the whole arrangement.

gearwatcher wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:35 am
its perhaps kind of difficult to work exactly out what you are actually doing, and why that might not be working for you.
Actually it's not. It's definitely a quirk in Ableton but you probably internalised it so well you just don't run into it as you perform the same order of steps automatically when exporting loops.
Not particularly. I barely use Live, and not for that before today. I wouldnt be able to iterate any Live-only actions that changes the selection.
But it is actually the same sort of thing in lots of DAWs that Ive used; if you change the selection somehow then the selection is changed. I'd honestly be surprised if you couldnt change the selection somehow in Reason as well.
But I wasnt assuming they'd made the selection then changed it. There was also the possibility they hadnt made it in the first place.
edit : I was also not sure if there was something about Reason I was unaware of an the relationship of that to 'render as a loop' in the subject ie was this about the file output and loop markers or somesuch, rather than the time selection mismatch in the screengrab.
Which was my point; I dont know what they're doing and said so rather than guessing or assuming.

Since you appear to be more familiar with Live than I, perhaps you have a specific alternative to the solution I offered, something that might be more useful to the OP than your critique of my stated understanding of his process.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:49 pm
gearwatcher wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:35 am
Actually it's not. It's definitely a quirk in Ableton but you probably internalised it so well you just don't run into it as you perform the same order of steps automatically when exporting loops.
Not particularly. I barely use Live, and not for that before today. I wouldnt be able to iterate any Live-only actions that changes the selection.
But it is actually the same sort of thing in lots of DAWs that Ive used; if you change the selection somehow then the selection is changed.
Not exactly. It really is a bit of a UX quirk in Live. Selection =/= marker loop, your markers remain where they were, however, if you go to the export window it will no longer default to exporting the loop from/to your markers (which, again, remain unchanged), nor your selection -- but the whole track.
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:49 pm But I wasnt assuming they'd made the selection then changed it. There was also the possibility they hadnt made it in the first place.
The loop markers are actually clearly visible in the image they posted.
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:49 pm
Since you appear to be more familiar with Live than I, perhaps you have a specific alternative to the solution I offered, something that might be more useful to the OP than your critique of my stated understanding of his process.
I have. Not a specific alternative but a "reliable" way to always export the loop, in the post just above the one where I quoted you.

deleted
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meh. i forgot trying to helping people is a hiding to nothing.

gearwatcher wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am
Saffran wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:55 pm .
:?:

PCM is simply the format in plain WAV and AIFF files. If you want a lossless export (loop or full track) you must have the PCM on.
I googled it and got a wrong quote.
It was a surprise to see on/off for pcm. Isn't pcm the audio and wave the container. Why would you ever turn off the audio? That button seem wasted. Threw me off a little.

Saffran wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:56 pm I googled it and got a wrong quote.
It was a surprise to see on/off for pcm. Isn't pcm the audio and wave the container.
Yes, that is correct.
Saffran wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:56 pm Why would you ever turn off the audio? That button seem wasted. Threw me off a little.
You can export in parallel, eg an MP3 and a PCM (one of WAV, AIFF, FLAC) at the same time. You turn on/off which ones you want with the checkboxes.

Turn "Render As Loop" on, and be sure you have selected the correct loop area (81.1.0 - 91.1.0.) In your attached photo you have done neither. Also ... try selecting the bar connecting the loop locators in arrangement view before rendering the loop :)

what a fu...g festival of armchair einsteins, they will give you 1000 words about things you are doing wrong and what you "should" do, but first good tune (and actual producing advice) is still on their to-do list :D

You haven't properly selected area you want to export bro... do it in arrangement view by literally clicking GREY |>=====<| STRIPE (just under 81________89________) , it will highlight whole selected area in blue, then export
"render as loop" my ass

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”