How to choose sound to play out of my digital keyboard?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How to choose sound to play out of my digital keyboard?
Yamaha PSR EW425: Patch #3 is piano. Patch #90 is bass.
Yamaha is set as both input and output (midi).
I set track for recording midi bass sound from Yamaha (of course my keyboard sounds like a bass when I'm playing it) but piano sound plays the bass parts after I've recorded it and play it back.
The piano midi track records and plays back correctly.
How to tell the bass track to play the #90 bass sound on the Yamaha?
Assume I'm beginner who doesn't know how to drill down to nested menu items and needs complete path explained to me.
Waveform Version 11.5.18 (Built: 12 July 2021) (64-bit)
Waveform Free
thanks!

From the MIDI implementation chart...
Voice List / Liste des voix / Lista de voces / Voice-Liste / 楽器リスト
PSR-E473/PSR-EW425 Data List / Liste des données / Lista de datos / Datenliste / データリスト 11
• Selecting a Voice number with an asterisk (*) will turn on Dual.
• Selecting a Voice number with two asterisks (**) will turn on Harmony.
• Selecting a Voice number between 323 and 362 will turn on Arpeggio.
These Voice numbers cannot be selected via MIDI messages from a computer.

Now, from the specs it looks like it CAN act as a multi-timbral device. What you have to remember...
- Waveform will not be keeping / recording patch number or MIDI channel on the incoming events
- you have to record sounds from different instruments to separate tracks in Waveform (well, not really, but it makes it much easier going forward...)
- to playback TO the Yamaha, you then have to make sure, in the properties panel for each track, to specify a DIFFERENT MIDI channel number to each... For example, channel 1 for Piano, and channel 3 for Bass. (Not sure if the Yamama actually has a "standard channel" for each of these. They may have 1-piano 10-percussion and some other "industry default" mappings)
- you will then have to somehow send out something TO the Yamama to tell it what patch you want used for each of the MIDI channels. This is done by clicking on each CLIP, and specifying the midi channel and patch you want to use; and the "program change" message must specify bank and patch number, which does NOT match the Yamama program number. Yamaha program number 90 is actually bank select 112, MIDI program change 33.

It IS much easier if you use VST's for sound within any DAW; but it you REALLY want to use external MIDI devices, the above steps are needed.

The reason you got piano working was presumably coincidence... Program #1 happens to be one of the pianos, and is presumably the power-on default patch.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

It looks like if you do it a LOT, you can actually create (if not defaulted, if the device is in the list) a patch selector list for the Yamama. However, not having one, I can't test.

Settings - MIDI devices. Select your Yamama.
On the right lower, it may have a default name set that might match yours, and if not, you can create an alternate name space using GM (General Midi); and it does look like pattch number 33 is accoustic bass. Not sure if the bank number matches; but it's adjustable. NOW you can put in a program change message using the name, if it matches; but not sure about the bank number.

There are also some other quirks you may encounter. MIDI is actually 0-127; but translation in the Yamaha docs show 1-128; and the default in Waveform is a defaulted option of 0-adjustment to generally simplify things - but if you're off by one, that might be why.

Oh, and not sure what you get if you don't ALSO set the bank and only set the MIDI patch number. Yamaha might default, or simply not know how to deal with it.

https://vn.yamaha.com/files/download/ot ... _dl_b0.pdf
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Return to “Tracktion”