Reason Rack as super synth or collection of synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I still remember my surprise listening to Friktion first. It really blew my mind even if I was already owning physical modelling synths.
Objekt built on that. Some of the features and the resulting sounds are really really awesome by every modern standards.

Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:09 pm I still remember my surprise listening to Friktion first. It really blew my mind even if I was already owning physical modelling synths.
Objekt built on that. Some of the features and the resulting sounds are really really awesome by every modern standards.
It's very expensive! :o

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:13 pm
Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:09 pm I still remember my surprise listening to Friktion first. It really blew my mind even if I was already owning physical modelling synths.
It's very expensive! :o
It is cheap.... The problem is you need to own reason....
And that doesn't make a lot of sense, financially, for plenty of people. Europa is great but I don't want to buy it if I have serum. Reason has a ton of effects and channels strip that are good but that I don't need. Why do I have to buy the whole stuff just to enjoy friktion or grain or their new vocoder or midi players?

I am pretty convinced that for R13, they should provide a trimmed down version of reason rack, maybe free, or offered with your first Rack Extension.

imrae wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:00 am Some of my favourite features of REASON (sampling directly into instruments, groove mixer, bouncing to REX) are not available in the plugin.
Say, I saw a Beardyman video where he ran audio from his mic through Objekt. Is this something only possible in the Reason DAW, or can it work in the Reason plugin in another DAW?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I have Reason and use it mostly as a plugin these days (been using it as a daw for many years). I like the synths, I would say I know most of them quite well and frequently use them to start a project. But I've never done a complex patch in RRP. By complex I mean stacking many layers. One of the RRP downside that it's not possible to modulate a lot of params in Subtractor/Malstrom/etc with an LFO or an envelope. In Phase Plant, Falcon, Pigments any param can be modulated.
Anyway I like Reason, one can definitely push a huge array of sounds from in.

I tend to use it more as an fx rack using the simple devices like echo, synchronous etc. Occasionally create a combinator but only when I have made something a bit more complex I want to save.

I think some of the synths are really impressive both by rs (objekt, grain etc) and other rack devs and the same goes for fx (I love ouroboros). Only minor gripe I have is the lack of envelopes or lfo's on things like europa. I know you can get lfo's cv from other devices but it seems a faff when you can just load up serum, Pigments, current etc if you want wavetables.

Samiver wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:16 pm I tend to use it more as an fx rack using the simple devices like echo, synchronous etc. Occasionally create a combinator but only when I have made something a bit more complex I want to save.

I think some of the synths are really impressive both by rs (objekt, grain etc) and other rack devs and the same goes for fx (I love ouroboros). Only minor gripe I have is the lack of envelopes or lfo's on things like europa. I know you can get lfo's cv from other devices but it seems a faff when you can just load up serum, Pigments, current etc if you want wavetables.
Well you do have LFO and mseg in Europa, you mean not enough?

Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:22 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:13 pm It's very expensive! :o
Like I said... :lol:

Samiver wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:16 pm I tend to use it more as an fx rack using the simple devices like echo, synchronous etc. Occasionally create a combinator but only when I have made something a bit more complex I want to save.

Let's not forget nostromo, one of the best spectral synth out there with an architecture I have never seen elsewhere. And antidote of course.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:03 pm
imrae wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:00 am Some of my favourite features of REASON (sampling directly into instruments, groove mixer, bouncing to REX) are not available in the plugin.
Say, I saw a Beardyman video where he ran audio from his mic through Objekt. Is this something only possible in the Reason DAW, or can it work in the Reason plugin in another DAW?
You can absolutely and easily.
Both audio and midi are easy to route. 8t is useful also for the midi players (they have a few very good one).

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:56 pm
Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:22 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:13 pm It's very expensive! :o
Like I said... :lol:
:D

I think this kind of live processing is ok.

But I like to feed stuff from my modular into Redrum or Grain or Mimic to create a new sampler instrument. There's a button for this, and it's broken in RRP. (Presumably because it doesn't know where to store the audio, but that is solvable.)

That works in a Reason plugin (IIRC)

Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:55 pm

Well you do have LFO and mseg in Europa, you mean not enough?
Yeah I tend to use a lot of modulation so run out of sources for unique bpm/hertz or subtle changes over time. Europa has some but not enough as I run out.

Its not a problem in things like objekt as I tend to create differently and use less mod.

Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:57 pm

Let's not forget nostromo, one of the best spectral synth out there with an architecture I have never seen elsewhere. And antidote of course.
Ha ha yeah the list is quite long 👍

Return to “Instruments”