Reason Rack as super synth or collection of synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jac459 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:48 am
liquidsound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:39 am .......
Reason Studios? Never date an old girlfriend again, maybe for a track or two :hihi:
Thought about this remark again (made my laugh).
In fact, with the RRP, it is like having your ex and your current girlfriend living happily together...

Could be a very hot R rated movie setting.... Or the worst of our nightmare lol.
No CLAP at least! :lol:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:03 am There was a discussion in kvr last week about people preferences between simple dedicated synths versus super synths doing it all.
I have no preference myself but it got me thinking as how I use the RRP vastly as a collection of synths and never use anymore the modular/flexible architecture of reason and it's superb combinator 2.

As the focus of reason seems to be shifting towards RRP (it is now the first definition of reason visible in their website), I wonder if they shouldn't put even more emphasis on the support of the combinator 2 by providing much more combinator presets and a way to browse only combinators.... It would really develop the super synth side of reason.
What do you think?
There’s been a lot of enthusiasm when Combi 2 was released but alas as often with Reason, its limitations won’t be addressed in future releases. You likely know ReasonTalk forum.
Regarding presets… I think it’s Reason’s Achilles heel. A lot of synths and FXs in the RRP are just as good as the best VSTs but presets are just average. Not a lot of people have time, patience and will to build their own sounds so presets are their starting point. And there Reason doesn’t deliver.
And then, there’s that abomination that RRP’s DAW automation and « remote-yvity » which the opposite of Reason spirit (see the also not enough developed Reason Remote tech from 2003 !).
So today I’m happy to use RRP as a great synth shell but not much than that (it’s like having Europa the VST or PX7 the VST etc)

SebAV wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:51 am
Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:03 am ...
There’s been a lot of enthusiasm when Combi 2 was released but alas as often with Reason, its limitations won’t be addressed in future releases. You likely know ReasonTalk forum.
Yup, we are a few coming from this forum...
Regarding presets… I think it’s Reason’s Achilles heel. A lot of synths and FXs in the RRP are just as good as the best VSTs but presets are just average. Not a lot of people have time, patience and will to build their own sounds so presets are their starting point. And there Reason doesn’t deliver.
To me it is just not great, not bad at all neither... IMMV...
And then, there’s that abomination that RRP’s DAW automation and « remote-yvity » which the opposite of Reason spirit (see the also not enough developed Reason Remote tech from 2003 !).
So today I’m happy to use RRP as a great synth shell but not much than that (it’s like having Europa the VST or PX7 the VST etc)
I am not sure I get you there.
When I was in the Reason DAW, I spent a loooot of time to write a gigantic script for my Akai controller because it wasn't well supported out of the box... So I had to do it myself.
It was instantly solved when I moved to Bitwig... So from my point of view the "remote-yvity" :D is far better in a well thought DAW as RRP than in Reason, isn't it ? Sorry if I misunderstood your point.

As a side note, all the CVs stuffs that are parts of the core of Reason, I must admit that... I really don't miss that. There isn't one thing that I was doing in CVs that I can't do much more intuitively, quickly and deeply with automations. It is just way way more powerful... I think this concept is just obsolete. The Skeuomorphism was fun for 10 years... I wouldn't mind moving on...
But that's me. I can also understand that some people are attached to Reason for this reason only.

Some synths from the Reason world deserve way way more attention and should be more easily available for non-Reason DAW users...

Objekt and Friktion are definitely key physical modeling synths.

Zero Hybrid and Expanse are vastly unknown and extremely, extremely powerful synths.

Nostromo...

Antidote (this one from Synapse may be already available as I understand that it is the inception of Dune).

Jac459 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:53 am
When I was in the Reason DAW, I spent a loooot of time to write a gigantic script for my Akai controller because it wasn't well supported out of the box... So I had to do it myself.
It was instantly solved when I moved to Bitwig... So from my point of view the "remote-yvity" :D is far better in a well thought DAW as RRP than in Reason, isn't it ? Sorry if I misunderstood your point.
Sure, some (Reason) Remote scripts are a joke but at least you can complete them. That is for Reason the DAW.
With RRP and DAW you have to « midi learn » to map the controls. The moment you replace a device, your « learning » is lost, you have to make one again. Inside Reason DAW, Remote mapping is done one for all. With RRP , the « map once, use forever » of the DAW doesn’t work because the « contained » devices can change and while mapping is still there, it’s no more revelant with the new device

SebAV wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:40 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:53 am
Sure, some (Reason) Remote scripts are a joke but at least you can complete them. That is for Reason the DAW.
With RRP and DAW you have to « midi learn » to map the controls. The moment you replace a device, your « learning » is lost, you have to make one again. Inside Reason DAW, Remote mapping is done one for all. With RRP , the « map once, use forever » of the DAW doesn’t work because the « contained » devices can change and while mapping is still there, it’s no more revelant with the new device
Gotcha...

What I am doing in Bitwig is I have one preset by main devices... Europa, Objekt, Grain, ...
So when I open the Reason I have the right mapping (If I don't f....k it up during the session of course).
But I agree to your point... Thanks for clarifying.

Can you create ReBirth rack in Reason and use it as plugin in DAW?

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:08 pm Can you create ReBirth rack in Reason and use it as plugin in DAW?
Not at all...
RRP doesn't have a 303.
RRP doesn't have a 808.
RRP doesn't have a 909.

(I mean not like ReBirth was having... It does have some external Rack Extension emulating a 303 and tons of samples from 909 and 808, but not the same).

But the RRP goes obviously way way way beyond Rebirth...

Much easier to build a Rebirth "rack" with VSTis.

But, that's the thing, isn't it? Neither Reason nor rack extensions remotely offer you what's out there in VST form.

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:10 pm Much easier to build a Rebirth "rack" with VSTis.

But, that's the thing, isn't it? Neither Reason nor rack extensions remotely offer you what's out there in VST form.
I think there are Reason instruments that can compete with good VSTs. Europa, Friktion and Objekt to name a few.

Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:03 am As the focus of reason seems to be shifting towards RRP (it is now the first definition of reason visible in their website), I wonder if they shouldn't put even more emphasis on the support of the combinator 2 by providing much more combinator presets and a way to browse only combinators.... It would really develop the super synth side of reason.
What do you think?
I agree. There are also a lot of customization options that could be added to the Combinator's GUI, like XY Pads, Trigger Buttons, MSEGs....

biberact wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:41 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:10 pm Much easier to build a Rebirth "rack" with VSTis.

I think there are Reason instruments that can compete with good VSTs. Europa, Friktion and Objekt to name a few.
I disagree. But, that's fine. :)

biberact wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:53 pm
Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:03 am As the focus of reason seems to be shifting towards RRP (it is now the first definition of reason visible in their website), I wonder if they shouldn't put even more emphasis on the support of the combinator 2 by providing much more combinator presets and a way to browse only combinators.... It would really develop the super synth side of reason.
What do you think?
I agree. There are also a lot of customization options that could be added to the Combinator's GUI, like XY Pads, Trigger Buttons, MSEGs....
Yes.. and I may miss something but I wonder what is the advantage of the combinator vs a simple VST3 preset (when using the RRP)

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:26 pm
biberact wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:41 pm

I disagree. But, that's fine. :)
And I disagree with you disagreeing :D.

But I will have to live with that...

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:56 pm
Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:22 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:13 pm It's very expensive! :o
It is cheap.... The problem is you need to own reason....
Like I said... :lol:
Reason 11 Lite supports the Rack and you will find that for about $10.

Return to “Instruments”