Polyphonic parameter modulation for an effect in CLAP

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm working on some stuff in CLAP, and was wondering if anybody has implemented an effect in CLAP that makes use of polyphonic parameter modulation. It seems technically possible, as Bitwig will handle and send the polyphonic modulation info for each voice, but obviously the effect cannot polyphonically modulate a single stereo input signal. I was wondering if there was potentially a mechanism for this built into CLAP, but couldn't figure it out. Thanks!

When pondering the future I've certainly given a lot of thought about polyphonic event IDs and opening an audio channel for each, to tell downstream processing what it will receive.

For instance, imagine an echo whose taps each get their own new, separate, audio channel so that they can be, for instance, individually routed into a 3D space trajectory, or each split into a chain where each downstream process replicates itself as many times as needed for the number of events for individual, realtime parameter expression via multimodal input controllers like MPE but with more degrees of freedom, like VR gloves.

I certainly am interested in seeing what actual coders have to say about your question.

If the source is a single stereo input, it wouldnt be proper polyphonic fx, but it could still be possible to use bitwig/claps polyphonic voice allocation for duplicating an effect, but this would be the same as duplicating the effect. You'd also need to route the audio to and from each voice, splitting the single input to the multiple fx then merging them.

If its just a stereo input, i think you'd be better off just duplicating the fx voices internally in your fx, it would be simpler.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”