How to distribute license keys

Official English support for: maizesoft.cn
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Folks that sell plugins, how are you all managing the distribution of license keys? I get that it doesn't provide much protection.

I don't use any license key :ud:

ArgonautDrums wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:20 am Folks that sell plugins, how are you all managing the distribution of license keys? I get that it doesn't provide much protection.

Don't use it, it doesn't give any protection.

I'm using Inno Setup and I investigated that you can manage passwords in the installation process, you must do this through the Script designer but I haven't managed it yet, does anyone know anything about it? Or is there another way to protect our plugins? :neutral:

Just don’t use ilok :D

+1 for not using the license key feature. It seems trivially easy to crack so you're gaining no protection and just increasing the odds of your plugin appearing on those sites.

But to answer your question - there are 2 options I would consider if I was using license keys:

1. The easiest way - use a single license key for everyone. That way you get the façade of protection and authorization but in reality you can just add the license key to your download email, or however you deliver the product to the customer.

2. If I wanted to use one key per customer I would use an ecommerce platform that supports uploading a list of keys that are automatically distributed with the plugin download. I use Gumroad to sell my plugins but unfortunately they don't offer the ability to upload a list of keys. Other platforms do and it's easy to set up. Just copy the list of keys from Maize and paste them into the ecommerce product listing. Then each time a product is sold one of the keys is sent to the customer. As the list gets smaller you can add more keys.

The thing I remember about keys ( havent checked in awhile ), is the key had to be entered on every single instrument in your folder. It didnt unlock them all as a bundle. So if your vst had 50 instruments you had to enter the key on all 50 instruments.

Plugworx wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:17 am The thing I remember about keys ( havent checked in awhile ), is the key had to be entered on every single instrument in your folder. It didnt unlock them all as a bundle. So if your vst had 50 instruments you had to enter the key on all 50 instruments.
Same here, that's what I heard. It used to work fine when we made plugins as one consolidated file where the presets were groups. But now the presets are separate MSE instrument files they each need to be validated, which makes the license key method unusable.

Return to “Maizesoft”