Playing goes on in spite of pressing stop or even Panic!

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How can I force stop playing? After pressing stop or panic it goes on for another 2 seconds up to 20 seconds before registering the stop command, like it would play some kind of cache in a bulk.
Pressing Panic button repeatedly does nothing, it's only registered after those tens of seconds, i.e. the yellow panic button shows the repeated pressings.
Generally Waveform never stops at the instant of the stop command.

Sorry for insisting but no matter what I do this doesn't seem to go away. And it's getting worse with time, the more I do stuff in a single session.
Does it happen to anybody else? What can i try?

You need to give a bit more information. This is not normal behaviour. For example, what audio driver are you using, what buffer setting? What plugins are you using etc?
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

Are you working with samples or audio files, like drum sounds, that are set to complete playing all the way through?

"Panic" works only for MIDI data, I believe, to stop hung notes. It may have no effect on audio files. Please provide more information, as Operandx suggests, as there could be many causes.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Something like this has only happened to me a few times in the last 20 years but I think it was always to do with a plugin getting caught up in whatever plugins get caught up in, going rogue and not letting Waveform stop.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Disable your plugins one by one. I’ve had similar issues with midi and plugins and had to bounce to audio

Thank you guys for chiming in. I've disabled the tracks one by one and it turns out that it's not a certain plugin issue but a problem of how many tracks are playing at the same time, regardless of their plugins. More tracks = more delay in stopping.

And if I press stop twice, it stops after those tens of seconds and immediately starts playing again, then I have to make sure I press stop only once, in order not to do it all over again.

CPU can handle more tracks without popping but as I mentioned the stop command is registered with up to half a minute delay! Once it didn't stop until the end of the song (2 minutes) but it only happened once.

I'm using ASIO4ALL v2.14 with default settings:
Buffer size = 512 samples, latency compensation in/out = 0, buffer offset = 1 ms and all other checkboxes unticked.

Just yesterday I experienced a similar case, and I have had similar unresponsiveness over the last months some few times more. Yesterday the playback went on playing beyond the last clip in the tracks without stopping, as always. One track which potentially could stay active forever, because a tone generator plugin was placed on that otherwise empty track, was muted. The plugin additionally was not even enabled.

Trying to stop by the spacebar or by the transport button or trying to use the panic button, all failed. After 3 minutes still silently running I killed the Waveform12 process by operating system tools.
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

So the culprit was not that track. In your case was the CPU loaded when it happened?

[quote=TheOdin post_id=8837616 time=1706387048 user_id=676652]
So the culprit was not that track. In your case was the CPU loaded when it happened?
[/quote]

System load according to the Waveform meter (top right in the GUI) is in this project during playback as described between 25% and 30%, mostly 28%. When playback is stopped (Waveform settings are on the Advanced tab configured that the audio engine should not run when stopped and I assume the stop refers to the playback state), then system load is shown to be 18 %.
My operating system meter shows the same load on all 4 logical processors, 18% when have launched the porject but not startet the playback, and 28% during playback. I saw here on the forum several reports about the WF meter and the OS meter to not coincide. On my system they appear to coincide very well (I configured Waveform to be allowed to use 2 cores. The OS shows that all 4 logical processors are under the mentioned loads, though).

Reffering to your topic, and to my observed issue, this issue of not stopping the playback is on my system not reproducibel. Today when I monitored the system CPU loads, under very similar situation like when the issue occurs (same other apps open and running on my system, same WF test project in use) it didn't happen. In general, it happens every couple of weeks, but not that I could reproduce it.
(Waveform PRO 13, Linux)

I've ticked off "run audio engine when stopped" option you mentioned with no change.
CPU stays around 7% when idle and gets to about 35% at its peak. After eventually stopping the playback, it remains at 30-35% for several seconds and then gradually decreases 2-3% every second so across about 10 seconds it returns to 7%.
Is this normal behavior?

Random suggestion, but have you tried turning off openGL rendering in the options and switching to Software Rendering.
I had a similar problem with stop not stopping playback/lagging with increasing numbers of tracks and it turned out that it was actually related to the graphics render settings on my Waveform 12 pro (and maybe due to my graphics card?)

jrb101 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:21 pm Random suggestion, but have you tried turning off openGL rendering in the options and switching to Software Rendering.
That did it! Thank you very much! That's a major problem sorted out.
Who would have thought the rendering has anything to do with playing?
Now it's stopping as soon as I press the stop button, no matter how many tracks are playing.

Return to “Tracktion”