New Controller Script for Midi Fighter Twister

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,
let me introduce Midi Performance Twister, a new controller script for the Midi Fighter Twister by DJ Tech tools. This is a lovely small, sturdy midi controller with 16 encoders.

I have developed this script for myself with live performance in mind. I wanted to have a tool to quickly change instruments (i.e. tracks) and control the remote controls (on the track or the global remotes). Over time I have developed 6 different modes which are directly accessible via the buttons on the side.

A highlight is the EQ mode. It let's you add an EQ to the end of the device chain, just by clicking any encoder and then nicely maps all 16 encoders to the Bitwig EQ+ device.

In release 1.0 it has the following modes:
  • 16 channel mixer
  • channel strip
  • device mode
  • EQ mode
  • Global parameters
  • User mode
... and the following features:
  • One mode per button on the side
  • Temporarily change a mode and immediately return
  • Secondary click by long clicks
  • Secondary parameter by click and turn
  • Configurable in the Bitwig controller setup

The script is open source and available on Github, see here: https://github.com/Markram71/Bitwig-Performance-Twister

Cheers, merry xmas and have fun with it
Martin

PS: Thanks to Moss for his excellence videos on how to build a controller script.

Thanks Martin! Merry Xmas to you too!

I have just added more feature in release 1.1. You can now do the following with Midi Fighter Twister:
- launch the first 14 scenes
- launch the first 14 cue markers
- send program change messages and bank select messages (great for changing patches on external gear with the turn of a knob)

I always complained about not being able to move the cursor except with the mouse. This script is great. Thanks for a very nice job.
I would be even happier if there was a specification for double-clicking to return pan, volume, etc. to default values.

I just got a twister and am trying to decide which Bitwig script to start with. I see 3 that appear to be working. This script and Dan Smith's script and one called TwisterSister. Would love some guidance on which one would make the most sense to go with. I'm mainly wanting to tweak device parameters. Devices in chains on different tracks. Thanks for any insights on this!

Greg

Hi Greg,
it's difficult to give that advice since the best fit really depends on your personal workflow. I don't know Dan's script, but I started with Twister Sister. I liked it, but was missing a few features that were important to me (e.g. the idea of having a something like a mixer and a possibility to select tracks). I also wanted to be able to use the track and project remote controls. That why I implemented this script, the Bitwig Performance Twister. You will also have access to the device parameters.

I tried to create a user friendly description on the feature, see here: https://github.com/Markram71/Bitwig-Per ... /README.md

In the end, as I said, you probably have to try it out and see how it fits your personal style.

Cheers
Martin

markram71 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:08 am Hi Greg,
it's difficult to give that advice since the best fit really depends on your personal workflow. I don't know Dan's script, but I started with Twister Sister. I liked it, but was missing a few features that were important to me (e.g. the idea of having a something like a mixer and a possibility to select tracks). I also wanted to be able to use the track and project remote controls. That why I implemented this script, the Bitwig Performance Twister. You will also have access to the device parameters.

I tried to create a user friendly description on the feature, see here: https://github.com/Markram71/Bitwig-Per ... /README.md

In the end, as I said, you probably have to try it out and see how it fits your personal style.

Cheers
Martin
Thank you so much for this response. I'm going to take a closer look today. I remember trying it briefly and being impressed with all the capabilities! I do remember that it seemed like modes 3 and 4 were switched from what the documentation noted, but it's probably user error. Thanks again.

markram71 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:08 am

Cheers
Martin
It's really good. A lot more involved so I need some time to get used to all the functionality but it's starting to click. Great documentation as is Dan's as well. I really appreciate that and the link in Bitwig to it. Much appreciated!!

As I am writing this, I am currently developing an extension to this scripts that will allow me/us to view what is happening on the Midi Fighter Twister on a tablet (or any other device) via OSC. Practically, I am placing an old Ipad behind the MFT and via Touch OSC it shows and documents what I can do with this script. This is helpful because I don't always remember each knob. And so I can easily see what parameter I am turning. There results are already very promising... :-)

markram71 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:31 pm As I am writing this, I am currently developing an extension to this scripts that will allow me/us to view what is happening on the Midi Fighter Twister on a tablet (or any other device) via OSC. Practically, I am placing an old Ipad behind the MFT and via Touch OSC it shows and documents what I can do with this script. This is helpful because I don't always remember each knob. And so I can easily see what parameter I am turning. There results are already very promising... :-)
Great to hear! I was shying away from using OSC but for this, I'd love to make the effort. Looking forward to what you develop!

I am super happy to share a pre-release of Bitwig Performance Twister 2.0.

It is now possible to visualise the encoders on a tablet and see what features you can currently control. This basically adds a screen to the Midi Fighter Twister. This is possible via OSC. I am providing a template for TouchOSC, as well. 

I am currently running TouchOSC on an iPad which sits right behind the Midi Fighter Twister. I can now very quickly see what I am controlling and which features each mode has. 

Here is the link to the pre-release

Please see some screenshots of what is now possible in the documentation

Here's a teaser on how the mixer mode looks on TouchOSC: 

I would be curious to hear what your thoughts are. 

Have fun with it....

Thank you so much for this response. I'm going to take a closer look today. I remember trying it briefly and being impressed with all the capabilities! I do remember that it seemed like modes 3 and 4 were switched from what the documentation noted, but it's probably user error. Thanks again.
Thanks for your note. Yes, the order was not correct. I have fixed this in the documentation.

markram71 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:30 pm I am super happy to share a pre-release of Bitwig Performance Twister 2.0.

It is now possible to visualise the encoders on a tablet and see what features you can currently control. This basically adds a screen to the Midi Fighter Twister. This is possible via OSC. I am providing a template for TouchOSC, as well. 

I am currently running TouchOSC on an iPad which sits right behind the Midi Fighter Twister. I can now very quickly see what I am controlling and which features each mode has. 

Here is the link to the pre-release

Please see some screenshots of what is now possible in the documentation

Here's a teaser on how the mixer mode looks on TouchOSC: 

I would be curious to hear what your thoughts are. 

Have fun with it....
Thanks so much. I’ll give it a go as soon as I have a chunk of time. Probably tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I do have an iPad. Will it work on an iPhone as well?

... yes and no: Although I have not tested it on an iPhone, TouchOSC runs on iPhones and a solution is possible. It will also scale down the surface to fit on the iPhone. So, yes you can use it on your phone. It that will be usable or practical, though, I doubt it, as the text might get too small.
The good thing with TouchOSC is that you can easily adapt it to you liking. E.g. throw out the left side that shows the modes and give the other elements more space.

I spent a good hour or so, following the instructions and it's a little too in the weeds technically for me. Which my limited knowledge, I wasn't able to actually get all the pieces connected. Sorry. Looks amazing though.

I loaded the template on my iPad but it wasn't connecting. I saw that it was synced with my desktop touchOSC but nothing would function. I also loaded Moss' OSC script for the MFT. Following the diagram, everything looks correct so I must be missing a piece.

Return to “Controller Scripting”