Virtual guitar rig recommendations

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I shortly demoed Helix Native, Guitar rig and TH3. I liked some Helix presets, but the workflow was a bit strange. TH3 sounded good and was nice to use.

But since I already have a lot of fx, I decided to give NAM another go. Right now, I'm looking for good IRs and/or cab sims. I'm not really sure what's the difference to tell the truth. I found a couple of good amp files for it, so I'm good on that end.

I decided to get some russian guy's amp sims too, some Taran guy. They sound good, but I'm wondering what should I put next in the chain - convolution/IR loader/cab sim/something else?

Try as many as you can and pick the one that fits your work flow the best.

Kuassa could be what you want.caliburn and vermillon are awesome
**dark music for dark lovers**

I tried most plugins.
BIAS FX2 is really the one for me. Great sound, great library, super nice GUI and usability.
Does everything and then more, it rocks.
And no, free plugins don't go near in terms of sound and functionality. But very ok to start with.

A lot of great software has been named already. AmpliTube, Guitar Rig, Bias FX2 all sound great to me.
Some more options worth mentioning, in my opinion, are Impact Soundworks' Shreddage Amp XTC, bx_rockrack by Plugin Alliance and Audio Assault's ReAmp Studio 2. bx_rockrack probably being the simplest, but sounds good too, I think. There's also a free version, bx_rockrack player.

I used to work with Vandal amp, by Samplitude (long time ago).
Works as a plugin in any other daw.
I really liked the sound, better than any amp I used before.

However, 10 years ago I switched from Windows to Linux.
Since than I cannot use it anylonger (neither via Wine, to run windows apps in Linux).

If anyone is interested, I still have the cd somewhere with the license etc...
Just contact me ;-)

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/vandal ... p-by-magix
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/magix-vandal

Now I'm currently using the Mod Duo from Mod Audio (https://mod.audio/)
However, there are nice free plugins like Guitarix (available as VST now), certainly got to check that out!
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

igorius wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:37 pm A lot of great software has been named already. AmpliTube, Guitar Rig, Bias FX2 all sound great to me.
Some more options worth mentioning, in my opinion, are Impact Soundworks' Shreddage Amp XTC, bx_rockrack by Plugin Alliance and Audio Assault's ReAmp Studio 2. bx_rockrack probably being the simplest, but sounds good too, I think. There's also a free version, bx_rockrack player.
We really have hit a point where we have excellent choices, including freeware. It really comes down to what features you need and your personal taste.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Every other option is better than NI guitar rig, if you want to use it with a real guitar.
PA or bx amps have bad cabs, so you need decent cabs in addition. Neural dsp is very limited as to effects and cabs choice.
There are so many amp sim devs,
maybe Nembrini or Audio Assault is for you.
Demo and find out what you like best.

DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:24 pm Every other option is better than NI guitar rig, if you want to use it with a real guitar.
And another unbelievably stupid and clueless post from you - do you even own an electric guitar?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:39 pm
DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:24 pm Every other option is better than NI guitar rig, if you want to use it with a real guitar.
And another unbelievably stupid and clueless post from you - do you even own an electric guitar?
I also can play guitar with eyes closed, imagine. And imagine I have a real tube Marshall amp from 1970ies.
And imagine I worked at Paisley Park studios some years ago and we had real amps there
So let us know why you think guitar rig could be as good or even better than Helix native, AmpliTube, Tonex, Scuffham or Neural DSP.
I am curious, there's one thing NI for sure has no clue about - plugins for real guitar! , never heard a good guitarist saying guitar rig is his amp sim plugin, maybe you could use it for spicing up virtual guitar plugins, I wouldn't find any use for it, though

So let us know Mr. Wannabesmart
I can't wait to learn something about guitars from you.

Can't imagine that - you're clearly just some dumb kid who still lives with his parents and is just starting out - and there's nothing wrong with that at all - it's just the pretending-to-be-an-expert thing that's really a nuisance...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Talking about the best cars and trying to include Lada, is like talking about good amp sims and trying to include Guitar rig.
Why don't your reply does not surprise me, Mr. No Clue Wannabesmart?!
For sure I don't have to prove nothing to you, you proved that you have no answer to why guitar rig is at least as good as the mentioned other amp sim plugins.
Last edited by DCrown on Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ok, I got to admit that NI Guitar Rig isn't as good as many other plugins when it comes to pure authentic tone. Here I had clearly better results with Tonex or TH-U. But you can get very nice and creative sounds out of Guitar Rig because its stock full with a lot of rather good effects. To me it feels like NI Guitar Rig is actually more like a MultiFX plugin where amp modeling is also an included feature.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:17 pm
Why don't your rrply does not surprise me, Mr. No Clue Wannabesamart?!
if you're going to imply someone isn't too clever, best not to make typos ;)

Fannon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:19 pm Ok, I got to admit that NI Guitar Rig isn't as good as many other plugins when it comes to pure authentic tone. Here I had clearly better results with Tonex or TH-U. But you can get very nice and creative sounds out of Guitar Rig because its stock full with a lot of rather good effects. To me it feels like NI Guitar Rig is actually more like a MultiFX plugin where amp modeling is also an included feature.
I agree and if you want good amps and many excellent cabs and effects for guitar Helix native could be a good choice.

Return to “Guitars”