Normalise left and right channels independently?

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a quick way to normalise the left and right channels of a stereo file independently? So that each channel is adjusted to the target level?

The real Q is: if this is a mixed/balanced stereo file, why would you want to un-balance it by changing the relative levels?

Now I expect that you will say something like; Oh but I recorded one voice on the left and the other on the right. One sounds kinda ok but the other is totally at -10,000dB. Consider: if that is the case and you change whilst keeping both in the same file (stereo Wav or mp4) there will be other issues added when the two sides become even less naturally matched.

You need to separate these L & R channels into two discrete Tracks. Depending on your DAW (and abilities) that could be via:
  • Routing the Left to a Mix Channel and the Right to another Mix Channel...
  • Use something like Audacity (or even your own DAW if it has such a feature) to create a pair of Mono Wav Files that you import to different tracks in your DAW...
...and processing appropriately. Always keeping in mind how they sound together.
:-)

The easiest way is to select the part you want to normalize and then just do it.
The somewhat difficult is to only select the right or left part of a stereo sound.
Just make sure the channel selection is correct when doing the selection.
2023-12-11_07-30-11.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Benedict wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:51 pm The real Q is: if this is a mixed/balanced stereo file, why would you want to un-balance it by changing the relative levels?
OK, not sure why you're telling me what my question is, or why you presume it's a balanced file. It's not. When I'm practicing my instrument I use the left and right channels of a stereo file to record myself in one channel, and the metronome or backing track in the other channel (via a loopback of my computer audio).

Afterwards I can zoom in and analyse my timing etc. I know I could (and indeed used to) do this in a multitrack session or DAW, but this way is far more lightweight and I can just leave it recording during a multi-hour practice session. But since the levels widely fluctuate between sessions it would be nice to quickly be able to normalise the channels independently.

Would you like a medal for your amazing success in deliberately misquoting and misconstruing what was given in friendship?
Would you also like a chest to pin that medal on or do you still feel puffed up enough right now from your first round of weseling?

Before you do the usual Woke Chisler routine of coming back to prove that your quote was verbatim and saying that I am suddenly attacking you out of the blue, yes sure, but:
a) the quote is out of context and
b) the very next sentence shows this.
Yes the very point that you chose to stop quoting lest it prove that this is about you using someone who tried to help you by trying to make them appear stupid when clearly you are not much of anything. Esp seeing from the other answer you didn't seem to know even the basics of your chosen tool (let alone how most software like this works). Perhaps this is the real reason that you decided to try to recover some of your fragile ego by attacking me?

Either way, I don't care other than your attempts to use me as your whipping boy are not welcome. And further, esp if Mods see this, should never be allowed in any community that attempts to stay healthy.
:-)

Benedict. I think we got our wires crossed. My comment was absolutely not intended as an attack. Perhaps we are both guilty here of being a little bit blunt and jumping into presumptions, no? And I should have been clearer about what I was trying to achieve in the first place. Anyway, my apologies and thank you for your input.

Right

jorgensen wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:33 am The easiest way is to select the part you want to normalize and then just do it.
The somewhat difficult is to only select the right or left part of a stereo sound.
Just make sure the channel selection is correct when doing the selection.
Thank you. This is the answer I was looking for. :tu:

Turns out the default keybindings are 1 and 2 for left and right channel selection respectively. I was able to write a macro (using Keyboard Maestro) to automate all of this so I can quickly normalise both channels with a single keypress.

Return to “Acon Digital”