What is the All pass 3-pole filter actually doing?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There sounds like there's some resonance going on and a notch filter or something, but from my understanding, an all-pass filter doesn't have resonance.

Cool effect though!

Which plugin?

Chris-S wrote: ↑Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:44 am Which plugin?
Oops sorry. Zebra2

There's a 3-pole Allpass in Zebra?

The AP3 in XMF... is an all pass only when not driven too hard, and when not using resonance.

Like all of the XMF types, it's created by mixing the outputs of a 4-pole lowpass filter. This works well to some degree as long as levels are low. The filter response however deviates quickly from the ideal response because of the non-linear behaviour of the individual stages. Then the math doesn't add up anymore, and that's particularly obvious in the AP modes.

...lol you would know. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what this means...which is totally possible.
Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 3.02.21 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Urs wrote: ↑Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:56 am There's a 3-pole Allpass in Zebra?

The AP3 in XMF... is an all pass only when not driven too hard, and when not using resonance.

Like all of the XMF types, it's created by mixing the outputs of a 4-pole lowpass filter. This works well to some degree as long as levels are low. The filter response however deviates quickly from the ideal response because of the non-linear behaviour of the individual stages. Then the math doesn't add up anymore, and that's particularly obvious in the AP modes.
Oh! Ok so there is a low pass filter at some point in the chain?

Kind of.

All XMF responses are based on the math behind the Oberheim Xpander and Matrix 12 filters. Technically those have a simple 4-pole lowpass filter. But instead of using just the output of the last stage, they tap into each single stage and then add/subrtract them in ways that are meaningful. So if you take the 4th pole lowpass and subtract the 2nd pole lowpass, you'd get a 4 pole bandpass and so on.

Like in the hardware, these are all just approximations that work only so and so well. I'm not even sure if we got them exactly right, as the XMF probably has stronger nonlinearities than the original hardware, and thus it may deviate at even lower levels.

Urs will the XMF come back to Zebra 3?

I f**king love this thing.

pierb wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:58 am Urs will the XMF come back to Zebra 3?

I f**king love this thing.
+1 !!
XMF still is one of the best software filters out there.
EAT - SLEEP - SYNTH
http://soundcloud.com/pocvecem

We plan to merge all filters into a single filter module. All will get FilterFM and all character types will have an abundance of responses.

Return to β€œu-he”