Tech house grouping techniques? Kick and bass or kick with drums?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you bus your instruments? And why?

This is a hotly debated topic. The reason? Both methods work well, and it really depends on the song / genre / keys or frequencies of the kick/bass.

For tech house, I prefer to do kick and bass together, as you can really gel them together nicely and make them sound very cohesive as a unit. This is particularly useful when there is some overlap between the kick and bass notes and they are not 100% separated, so blending them together is important. I find it also helpful for maximizing the low end's audibility and impact.

Then afterwords, I add the kick and bass bus to the drums/percs buss to create a "rhythm" bus and I add some more compression to glue things together there as well.

Switch it up and experiment, sometimes one way works for a song while another doesn't.
Calm Before now 20% OFF!!! Code "KVR20" https://www.bigdaw.audio/products/calmbefore
In seconds, create contrast in your builds and transitions by automating low end, high end, gain, width, and washout.

I'm not sure why, but when I make UKG it'll be bass + kick grouped. But when I make DnB it's kick/drums grouped

Return to “Production Techniques”