FabFilter Pro-R 2 -> Released Thursday November 2, 2023

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

macmuse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:27 pm I see in my account my normal upgrade discount percentage was 45%, but there’s a slash through it and says 65% in red. Does anyone know if it’s red because the 65% is a time-limited offer, or is only in red because it’s a new product? I also wonder if the 65% remains intact when Black Friday comes and there is an extra percentage, or would it likely revert back to 45% + 25% for BF, does anyone recollect this happening?
I think it's 45% if you own Pro-R 1 and then up to 65% loyalty discount depending on what you own. I have everything accept Twin 3 and Pro-R 2 and I'm seeing a 65% discount for both.
Always Read the Manual!

Oh ok, is your 65% in red also, where the 45 is crossed out? I do own Pro-R 1 and other FF.

macmuse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:10 pm Oh ok, is your 65% in red also, where the 45 is crossed out? I do own Pro-R 1 and other FF.
Correct, it's 65% red for both
Always Read the Manual!

Thanks guys.

PieBerger wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:52 pm
Jac459 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:20 am I just purchased the pro R2 upgrade.
I don't understand, I was in a meeting discussing about bullshit topics and my fingers reached my phone unconsciously and rage-purchased it....
I wonder how many people are in my head....
Thanks for taking one for the team!
He he he

"Rage-purchased". I like that. :D

...But I don't regret, as usual with Fabfilter, playing arround is a joy and you get so many different characteres on the sound.

Dumb question, but if I already have Pro-R installed and want to install Pro-R2, will it install on top of it or will it be two separate plugins? I have quite a few projects with Pro-R and do not want to mess them up.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

Propellerhands wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:02 pm Dumb question, but if I already have Pro-R installed and want to install Pro-R2, will it install on top of it or will it be two separate plugins? I have quite a few projects with Pro-R and do not want to mess them up.
Two separate plugins

Propellerhands wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:02 pm Dumb question, but if I already have Pro-R installed and want to install Pro-R2, will it install on top of it or will it be two separate plugins? I have quite a few projects with Pro-R and do not want to mess them up.
Yes, two separate plugins installed in parallel.

Also, I believe if you purchase and own a licence for any current version of a given Fabfilter plugin, you can also then download installers for any previous depreciated versions of that plugin (and install them side-by-side).

For example, Pro-Q 3 owners can also download and install Pro-Q 2 and Pro-Q (version 1). You can always find the legacy installers on the official Fabfilter Additional Downloads page. Pro-R v1.15 (Jun 29, 2023) release is already available there.

MrJubbly wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:10 pm Also, I believe if you purchase and own a licence for any current version of a given Fabfilter plugin, you can also then download installers for any previous depreciated versions of that plugin (and install them side-by-side).
For some reason, it doesn't work on my computer with Saturn 2. v2 is activated but if I install v1, I have to input a separate activation code (which I don't have).
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Frantz wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:47 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:15 am Using reverb controls or other controls on other plugins is not a distraction- if you’ve spent the time to learn the tools purchased it’s usually fast to make adjustments and not rely on stock presets (and then save your own presets).
I actually chose such a simple reverb, Seventh Heaven, that there is nothing to learn. :)

seventhheaven.png
What I learned when using it is that it can really changes the sound of the source - more than most other reverbs. I really disliked that aspect of the standard version of the reverb but like it as the Pro version because I can dial in ducking so that masking of the original source is more under control.

I never recommend the standard version to anyone, but plenty of people seem to love it (weirdly, to me).

ProR2 doesn’t really suffer from this issue even without the ducking.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:53 am What I learned when using it is that it can really changes the sound of the source - more than most other reverbs. I really disliked that aspect of the standard version of the reverb but like it as the Pro version because I can dial in ducking so that masking of the original source is more under control.
I use it as a send effect and I normally use reverb quite sparingly so the original sound is still very present. You are probably making the reverb much more prominent than I would.

Anyone noticed that using the "import IR" function generates settings that sound nothing like the original IR? Try it side by side: load a convolution reverb with an IR and an instance of Pro-R2 importing the same IR file. Now playback a sound and switch back and forth between the Convolution Reverb and Pro-R2 (both set to a similar wet / dry ratio). There is barely a similarity. I tried with an IR file captured from a real room and the original convolution version sounds much more realistic. Maybe Pro-R2 is better when it comes to recreating the sound of IRs taken from reverb devices?

I found it to be quite similar in many case, but perhaps that's my poor ears. I did see am improvement switching the 'type' to Plate, and turning the character all the way down. Some haven't been so 'close' but enough for creative experimentation, and also getting other sounds to sit in a mix.

I never expected it to match an IR identically though - I mean, if you want it to be identical, just use the IR in a convolution plugin. Why bother with it for that ?

Return to “Effects”