Learning Sequencers / Arpeggiators

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been learning how to use soft synths slowly - lots of great free VSTs and youtubers explaining the process.

A lot of the electronic music I hear seems to use a lot of arpeggiator or sequencer. That part of the process seems much more complex. At least making something actually musical.

Do folks here have a preferred "Beginner" arpeggiator / sequencer or places where they learned how to use those tools musically?

Get Stepic, it’s all you need.
You’re welcome 😉

To get good arpegio’s you need to understand a bit of music theory. So I’d suggest learning a bit of that too.

I've been playing guitar for a long time, and had to learn theory because it always seemed like others could do things by ear that I had to figure out in a more mathematical way. So I could easily just enter MIDI notes in arpeggio patterns over chord sequences based on previous knowledge from guitar.

However, the sequences and arpeggios I hear in electronic music have their own feel and sound, and I'm trying to learn how people go about making them interesting.

I'm working on getting a new music computer up and running and will likely buy Stepic then. In the mean time, do people have suggestions on good freeware sequencers?

I'd recommend to get BlueARP, and read the well written manual.

Don't let the name deceive you, it's more of a step sequencer than an arpeggiator. ;) Very intuitive though.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”