RapidComposer v5 beta feedback and discussion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

This topic is about RapidComposer v5 beta versions. The old v4 beta topic is locked.

The beta version is available to all RapidComposer owners, so this is not a public beta. The beta version is usually solid for serious work, but there may be smaller bugs in new functionality. It includes the latest bug fixes, and new features, sometimes months ahead of the release.

Download

The download URL has not changed since v4.
You need to add the word "beta" to the download URL. E.g. the URL xyz.php becomes xyzbeta.php.
I will gladly send the URL to any RapidComposer owners by request (PM or e-mail).

Installation

Execute the installer. This new version uses the Documents/RapidComposerV5 folder. Your v4 settings are not imported. You'll need to enter your license key (v4 key at the moment). If you cannot locate it, please send me an e-mail.

Installation does not overwrite any previous RapidComposer installation! Version 4 and 5 may coexist on the same computer. V5 application and plug-ins have V5 in the name, e.g. RapidComposerV5.app, RapidComposerV5.vst3

Updates

Updates are posted in this topic from time to time.
It is possible to check for updates under the Support tab. Click on "Check for beta version updates".

RapidComposer v5.0b1 is available!

The first beta version is available now! :) I made sure everything is tested and working but I am sure there will be bugs...

This installer does not overwrite any v4 files, so your existing v4 installation is not affected. All installed files include "V5" in the name. You'll need to enter your v4 license key.

Notes:
  • The RC VST plug-in has been dropped in future versions. VST instruments are still supported.
  • The Windows files are 64-bit only.
  • On macOS v5 will require at least macOS 10.12.
All changes summarized since v4.7.3:
  • New flexible rhythm generator: 'Rhythm Lab' makes several old rhythm generators obsolete
  • All phrase generators use 'Rhythm Lab' by default. Default settings were revised.
  • New phrase generator: "MIDI Transformer". Drop a MIDI file to this phrase generator (in the inspector) to create a new phrase of similar style. This phrase generator creates absolute notes because it forms new chords!
  • 'DAW view' added with optimized display for working in the composition globally as in a DAW. Select and move phrases in multiple tracks, use rubberbox selection in multiple tracks, drop multi-track MIDI files, etc.
  • Ghost tracks added, with 'unghost' option. Ghost tracks contain all phrases of the original track, rendered with or without the original track variations
  • Reworked/simplified phrase resizing. Shift-drag edge to scale, Ctrl-drag edge to repeat/crop. Dragging the edge means scaling for normal phrases and regenerating for phrase generators
  • Scales may contain additional notes, so the special "major set", "minor set", "major/minor set" scales are properly represented
  • Variation presets
  • CC envelope browser. Save and reuse your favourite envelopes
  • Contributed phrases are installed too, and loaded in a few seconds
  • Velocity editor added to 'Manual Editing'
  • UI improvements
  • Separate folders created for each file type under Documents/RapidComposerV5: no more DB folder
  • Lots of internal rework, optimizations and bug fixes

hi Attila
every time i try to regenerate the rhythm using phrase inspector RC crashes, it happens for chord generator, arpeggiator, flinger picking generator, bass generator, piano run generator, generic generator, Piano Chord pattern generator, strum pattern generator. it also crashes if i try to change it from rhythm lab to another, the only ones that seem to not crash are the melody generators

Ouch, I am checking this! Thanks for the feedback!

Sometimes crashes for unknown reasons in Phrase Editor.
When you move notes in the Phrase Editor, they don't play correctly.
When you change the size of the phrase, the loop does not change. You have to press play again. And no new notes are displayed.
https://youtu.be/ThYZC2nowLs
https://youtu.be/fOOU9wJwW_A
Maybe add vertical zoom in out when held down on the piano key?
And maybe add option for insert notes in phrase/melody editor with single click, delete with double?

Beta2 is uploaded now, that fixes the crashes with rhythm/phrase generation.

one thing I found was, in the keyboard shortcuts, if your midi keyboard isn't on and you try to assign a shortcut using the keyboard, it will hang.

Hi Attila. Scanning Vst 3 crash. Report attached . 5.b02.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In version 5, now you can not set your own text font?

Plugins don't work. Dp 11.22 and Blue Cat's PatchWork 2.66 , Mac OS 10.13.6 .
(3 picture AU does not open in DP).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lulukom wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:51 pm Hi Attila. Scanning Vst 3 crash. Report attached . 5.b02.
Hi lulukom,

this crash occurs inside the VST3 SDK when loading a binary image into memory. I suppose the same happens with v4.7.3 because nothing was changed about scanning plug-ins (except now the latest VST3 SDK is used). Does it always crash at the same plug-in? I am not sure what I can about this. I expected scanning VST3 plug-ins are more reliable than scanning VST2 plug-ins.
In version 5, now you can not set your own text font?
Yes, you can but you must enable "Allow font and style adjustments" under Settings / Miscellaneous / Experimental Features.

Thanks!
Attila

When notes is selected , it doesn't render the out of scale color in the notes editor. And this is very useful and in V4 it works. The color only renders when unchecked.

lulukom wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:58 pm Plugins don't work. Dp 11.22 and Blue Cat's PatchWork 2.66 , Mac OS 10.13.6 .
(3 picture AU does not open in DP).
There is an issue on macOS with saving the plug-in settings when you unload them. Probably that is the reason. I am doing my best to fix this today.

Thanks,
Attila

Distomen1 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:07 am When notes is selected , it doesn't render the out of scale color in the notes editor. And this is very useful and in V4 it works. The color only renders when unchecked.
Hello Distomen1,

yes, the colors have been reworked, and now there is a single selection color, because in the past selection was not distinctive enough.
Maybe an option to use the note color but darkened (that is the note selection color is applied with alpha) could be offered?

Thanks for your feedback!
Attila

It doesn't matter how, as long as there is a distinction between these 3 circumstances
In chord , in scale , out of scale.
In v4 it works perfectly. When I have notes selected and I move on the piano roll while they are selected, I need to have a color feedback whether I am in scale, chord, or out of scale. Thanks to this, the workflow is very fast. This is especially useful for note offset as I do up or down.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”