Linnstrument not sending clock?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone :-) it’s been a while.
Lately I decided to reduce to the minimum my chain and I have only 3 things: looper, linnstrument and a workstation.
I have only a problem: the arpeggiator of the workstation doesn’t work when I have the linnstrument connected.
Here is my connections: Looper (boss 505mk2) sends the clock to the linnstrument via midi cable, while another midi cable goes from the linnstrument to the workstation (a Yamaha MOX6), so I can use the linnstrument as a controller. It all works fine but When I turn on the arpeggiator ON on the workstation everything goes quiet, the keyboard of both linnstrument and MOX6 produce no sound. I have read the linnstrument sends clock only if the sequencer is running. The questions I have are:
- can I send the clock also while playing? I would like to use the linnstrument and not leave it in sequencer mode. I mean, I could start it, then stop it just to have the right clock on the MOX but it’s a bit annoying if I have to do it a lot. This still didn’t fix the issue
- can you help me undertand why I get no sounds? I thought it was because the linnstrument isn’t sending a clock so the MOX can’t arpeggiate anything. But it’s pure speculation as the MOX never shows the BPM when midi clock is external (quite stupid tbh).
Thanks everyone

I'm sure Roger or someone else more knowledgeable than me will respond, but it sounds like you want to enable "midi thru" on the midi jacks. This will result in the midi that comes in from your looper being echoed to the midi out jack of Linnstrument, while also allowing you to play Linnstrument and have its midi sent out the same midi out jack to the MOX6. The Linnstrument itself will technically not be sending clock, but midi clock messages that come in on Linnstrument's MIDI IN jack will be echoed out thru its MIDI OUT jack.

"2.0.0 (October 27, 2016)
. . . Changes:
. . . Feature: Added support for using the DIN MIDI OUT jack as a MIDI THRU jack. In Global Settngs > MIDI/POWER column ("MIDI I/O" on older units), hold “MIDI JACKS”. Swipe right to select “THRU”. Now the DIN MIDI OUT jack will both send MIDI OUT data and also echo received MIDI IN data."
From: https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... e-software

That actually worked. Thanks a lot!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”