ATTENTION! For those who want to use Tracktion Waveform in their workflow!

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/b6kNOI5Shbo
Let this action of mine look as stupid as you like, someone calls it war, ignorance, or something else, but inside the DAW everything should work very, very correctly. And now take the plugin https://trackbout.com/ripchord and record your midi with him and look at the delay.
Last edited by nowgad on Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nowgad wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:11 pm https://youtu.be/b6kNOI5Shbo
Attention! For those who want to use Tracktion Waveform in their workflow! In this video, in a new clean project, using the example of a drum party, be sure to pay attention to this, it shows how delay compensation works in Tracktion Waveform. Some argue that the delay is insignificant and amounts to some small fractions of a second. But! It's not like that! Tracktion Waveform cannot, cannot, at the moment work with plugins that have a delay (even with its own plugins from the DAW Essentials collection), moreover, the delay accumulates. In this connection, everything that you create, in the future, when rendering or recording will be shifted. Moreover, some tracks will be shifted more, some less. This is such a random when rendering/recording in Tracktion Waveform.
So before you get used to and admire the best workflow (this is actually the case), think about it: are you ready to spend hours, days, on post-processing because of bugs and errors of a beautiful program?
The first time I contacted the developers with this problem was on November 19, 2021. And at the moment, things have gotten even worse.
I still have one hope that my audio interface is involved in these bugs and errors. In the meantime, this post will be visible to everyone.
Last edited by nowgad on Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

623 days

Can I reproduce that with Tracktion-only plugins?
I've tried with MicroDrumSampler and TDelay Studio and nothing was shifted.

Ah, so that's what gives the groove to my tracks.

My replication.
Track 3 is the original recording. No problems. Then I added UA Tails (100ms latency)
Track 4 is the next recording, replicating your issue.
Track 2 is my last recording, where I have gone into the input settings and manually removed 100ms with the time adjust setting. This works. But.....really?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kott wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:54 am Can I reproduce that with Tracktion-only plugins?
I've tried with MicroDrumSampler and TDelay Studio and nothing was shifted.
you can. take a few plugins that have a delay (#TLimiter, #TCompressor, #TGate/Expander). With one plugin, the delay will be almost imperceptible. But, with an increase in the number of tracks and plugins, the delay will become significantly noticeable. As far as I noticed, the accumulation of delay occurs in the region of 80-120 ms, and the next jump to a delay of 250 ms. And often more than 250ms does not happen. But in one of my projects (about 60 tracks and about the same amount of automation), the delay reached twice as much. Moreover, if you disable the plugin and leave it on the track, the delay also remains in most cases. The plugin needs to be removed. It is very rare when a disabled plugin is not taken into account.

Ok, some more playing. In this screenshot I have placed Tails on track 1 used the 'route audio from' option to record, as in our first trials. The results are on track 3, and there is no sign of any problem. Waveform has accounted for the 100 ms latency.

Now I have placed ADPTR Sculpt on a separate unrelated track. (latency 232 ms) and repeated the recording. The result is on track 2 and the recording is shifted by 132 ms. (232 -100 =132) So it looks like Waveform is compensating for the latency on the track being recorded but ignoring any other accumulated project latency.

This is worth noting indeed.

I did find however that in the Advanced Settings, in the experimental section, there is the option to remove bypassed plugins from playback. This seems to work. If I bypass Sculpt and repeat, I get a good recording again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

More. It's not accumulated latency actually, here is the result with Sculpt on the track being recorded, with three instances of Tails on separate tracks (in parallel) The highest latency is on the track being recorded, that is compensated for, so the recording is fine.

Here we have Sculpt on track being recorded and three instances of Tails in series on an unrelated track. (232 ms vs 100 + 100 + 100) The recording is out by 68 ms (300 - 232)

And finally here is Sculpt on the track being recorded and Tails on the output of the track doing the recording. The recording is out by a flat 100 ms (Tails latency)

I wasn't expecting this one tbh.

Btw, thanks for posting about this. I should be able to work around the issue easily now that I think I understand it, but if I hadn't tried replicating with such extreme latency plugins, I wouldn't have found it so clearly.

Are you happy to find workarounds? I'm happy for you! Do you want to be honest or biased?

Well, Waveform is the only daw I've ever properly used so I'm biased by default. I have identified numerous examples of the problem you found, as exactly as I can, so that's honest. (I've posted other problems in the past too) Therefore both I guess? It is what it is. I get as annoyed as anyone with the 'Add flashy new stuff before fixing existing problems' thing, but not enough to learn a new daw.

What Waveform versions are you using and OS too?

Thanks

Latest 12.5 update on Windows 11, latest updates installed, with a good pc.

Return to “Tracktion”