Bitwig 5 browser is a mess

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

S950 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:09 pm
Shifrin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:37 am
S950 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:28 am Is anyone’s browser in 5.1, the selection specifically, still jumping around like it’s had 10 espressos? I’m noticing it mostly in the right hand browser. It’s like the mouse wheel is scrolling (it’s not) so the selected item bounces around, sometimes quite dramatically. I reported that to Bitwig some months ago but mine is still trippin’.
Yep, mine too. Specifically the right hand browser. It's intermittent but still occurring..
Alright, I'll submit another bug report for 5.1. Thx.
I’m still noticing this. Did support ever contact you with a fix?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 am
S950 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:28 am Is anyone’s browser in 5.1, the selection specifically, still jumping around like it’s had 10 espressos? I’m noticing it mostly in the right hand browser. It’s like the mouse wheel is scrolling (it’s not) so the selected item bounces around, sometimes quite dramatically. I reported that to Bitwig some months ago but mine is still trippin’.
Yep, mine too. Specifically the right hand browser. It's intermittent but still occurring..
Nothing other than to say they hope to improve the browser. I had sent video of it happening in a previous report. 🤷‍♂️

I went so far as to change mouse and keyboard to ensure that it’s not the peripherals causing the jump and it still happens.

I also notice some strangeness in the waveform rendering when recording audio. It moves around and kind of wiggles on its own.

S950 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:34 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 am
Nothing other than to say they hope to improve the browser. I had sent video of it happening in a previous report. 🤷‍♂️

I went so far as to change mouse and keyboard to ensure that it’s not the peripherals causing the jump and it still happens.

I also notice some strangeness in the waveform rendering when recording audio. It moves around and kind of wiggles on its own.
I’ve not seen that one yet. I’ll report the browser bug tomorrow.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:04 am I’m experiencing the browser jumping around and full folders of plugins being there one second, gone the next. What a f’n disaster. I feel like asking for my upgrade money back and going back to 4.
I was having some slowness on the browser, seemed to keep resetting and needing 10-15s to populate.

I follow some instructions from here on how to clear out preferences or caching or something, sorry a that's very vague, but it took two mins and the browser has been snappy every since.

I would still prefer the wider more text based browser though... It was perfect for how I like to work. These icons are not always clear to me...

_leras wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:13 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:04 am I’m experiencing the browser jumping around and full folders of plugins being there one second, gone the next. What a f’n disaster. I feel like asking for my upgrade money back and going back to 4.
I was having some slowness on the browser, seemed to keep resetting and needing 10-15s to populate.

I follow some instructions from here on how to clear out preferences or caching or something, sorry a that's very vague, but it took two mins and the browser has been snappy every since.

I would still prefer the wider more text based browser though... It was perfect for how I like to work. These icons are not always clear to me...
I did try a cache clear when I first encountered the browser jumping the current selection all over the place at random. Didn’t fix the issue. The browser is working fine, no GUI glitches over here, outside from still remaining way over-caffeinated. Win 11 and Radeon GPU if that matters to anyone experiencing the same thing.

So I had these issues(browser jumping around, things disappearing / reappearing) before (on 4.xx), and then those issues were minimized after 5.xx. I recently (10 days ago) rebuilt my main workstation to expand my root drive, and I decided to kill all templates and profiles for both cubase and bitwig to start fresh. (my profiles were old...)

I rebuilt everything, installed 5.1.3, and immediately noticed: 1) some presets show up 4 times, 2) the browser has gone back to randomly adding/removing presets and content from any list, any time, even after initial indexing is done, and my maschine2 template project files are all broken.

My carefully built, heavily tested maschine2 templates and projects stopped working as they have for the last 5-6 months. Maschine cannot be routed multi-channel in/out anymore whether in midi-mode or plugin mode, I started getting weird "cycle loops, contact support" error messages, and right now Im back to using maschine.... in cubase despite my best intentions. Maschine works fine in multi-channel in cubase, but is killing the audio engine in bitwig. Sometimes when I open a project that was just working fine, that project and instance of Bitwig is silent (with meter activity) until I restart, and then it usually comes back. Im struggling here.

The browser from the perspective a new Bitwig user such as myself was an awful experience at first glance. I was laughing out loud at how convoluted it was. Where I truly think they missed the mark is how the default context views showed me "the entire kitchen sink" (all devices plus 3400+ unorganized presets) and it led me down a path of confusion from the get go.

That being said, once I figured out the browser by "fixing" all of it's default context views, figured out where all my 3rd party plug-ins where, set up my collections, set up my snapshots, etc, I get along with it quite well. I'm quite certain there are still things I just don't know about tho, sigh..

The way Bitwig has organized some things, especially regarding loops and clips in their packages while using the side panel browser, is so redundantly organized and convoluted in how you find things, that I think the "save snapshot" feature is the band-aid they invented to try to fix it when you accidentally stumble upon something having no f**king clue how you ended up at that place.

The tag system is nonsensical (ghostly, wonky, really??), and should be used as meta data to more easily categorize and filter results. They are not used like this in Bitwig library stuff. You have percussion loops not labeled as percussion, not labeled as loops, and not tagged as percussion or loops either for example.

There are some bugs with the browser as well. One time it just didn't bring up a preset I made, and I had to navigate to it's file on my computer to "remind the Bitwig browser that it exists." And of course, there is this thing where if you're scrolling down a list with your mouse wheel, it'll "scroll up a page" for no reason and you lose your place.

- Overall I like the browser. I think it's great for workflow once you get it set up. IMO it's objectively better than the other DAW browsers I've used for most scenarios.

- I think they needed to change those default context views, like "yesterday," because I'm telling you, that situation is terrible for newcomers who are simply not going to figure out how to change that for at least a few hours if not days or even weeks, and they are just going to come to forums like this and say shitty things about your browser lmao.

- I think Bitwig needs to adhere to better categorizing, naming, and tagging protocols on their own packages/libraries to make their browser more effective. Side panel browsing is legitimately a hot mess for clip/sample browsing because of this stuff. Tags should be used to categorize things as priority #1 (drums/perc/bass/synths/loops/one shots), and all that other crap ("wonky" lmao) can be there to narrow filters down further as you select them.

Cheers
"music is the best"

Have they added the ability to change the display names for plugins in the browser? All the other DAWs I use have this ability.

For example "bx_console AMEK 9099" becomes simply "Amek 9099" and so on. Many of the plugins I own have much longer display names but that's only a problem in Bitwig.

Sadly my BUP has expired and I'm stuck on 5.0.11 but I'd be hard to justify paying $99 to re-new it just for such a feature that has been ubiquitous in other DAWs for years.

However, this feature combined with others such as true Step Record would make me consider the purchase of a BUP renewal.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

When the new browser came out, I strongly disliked it.

But after reading the manual and watching a few videos, I got a handle on how to customize it. Collections and context menus! Now, when I click anything, only the devices I want come up. I much prefer it to the old browser now!

So I think the browser is actually awesome, but the defaults are very annoying. Especially with all the stock presets that I had to delete. I only want my presets. Fortunately, the browser lets you filter all that out!

Return to “Bitwig”