Bitwig 5 browser is a mess

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:32 pm Like how do I save defaults for the side panel? In My Library for example I want to save it with Bitwig Presets as the File Kind, but there's only defaults for the pop-up browser on tracks? Not for side panels for the different sources? Or am I missing something?
In the old side browser, there were static tabs that showed certain content.

In the new side browser, there are no fixed tabs. So "My Library" is just a Quick Source. You can delete the My Library Quick Source. Then click on Everything, filter for your name as creator plus Bitwig Presets as file kind, then save that as a Smart Collection called My Library. It is automatically added as a Quick Source. Drag it to where the Original "My Library" was (you can reorder Quick Sources)

Or leave the default My Library Quick Source and call your Smart Collection "My Bitwig Library" if you want both there.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:50 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:32 pm Like how do I save defaults for the side panel? In My Library for example I want to save it with Bitwig Presets as the File Kind, but there's only defaults for the pop-up browser on tracks? Not for side panels for the different sources? Or am I missing something?
In the old side browser, there were static tabs that showed certain content.

In the new side browser, there are no fixed tabs. So "My Library" is just a Quick Source. You can delete the My Library Quick Source. Then click on Everything, filter for your name as creator plus Bitwig Presets as file kind, then save that as a Smart Collection called My Library. It is automatically added as a Quick Source. Drag it to where the Original "My Library" was (you can reorder Quick Sources)

Or leave the default My Library Quick Source and call your Smart Collection "My Bitwig Library" if you want both there.
I'll try that! I didn't have luck with Smart Collections, but maybe that's because I started from the My Library and it didn't remember my settings. You have to go to Everything first?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:26 pm I'll try that! I didn't have luck with Smart Collections, but maybe that's because I started from the My Library and it didn't remember my settings. You have to go to Everything first?
Yeah... seems starting from My Library isn't included in the filters when you make a smart collection. Seems like a bug to me, or if not, the logic doesn't make sense.

So yeah, start from Everything and filter to what you want, then make the Smart Collection.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:43 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:26 pm I'll try that! I didn't have luck with Smart Collections, but maybe that's because I started from the My Library and it didn't remember my settings. You have to go to Everything first?
Yeah... seems starting from My Library isn't included in the filters when you make a smart collection. Seems like a bug to me, or if not, the logic doesn't make sense.

So yeah, start from Everything and filter to what you want, then make the Smart Collection.
So I've playing around a little more and I'm starting to come around with the Smart Collections. One issue I had was that I wanted to use the "Everything" Source but also have the instrument/Effect/Midi buttons available, which they aren't by default, because everything has lots of other stuff. But I noticed that when you click on file kind and select plug-ins, devices, and/or presets, you do get those appearing. So I could save a Smart Collection that is the version of "Everything" I wanted (Devices/Plugins/Presets together), and have access to the instrument/effect buttons. So that's cool.

I think I've gone over the fence into preferring the New Browser now.

i want an option to bring the old browser back, it was pristine, just compare to all other daw's....

How many people think that this is the way it went down?

Zoom Call:
BW BOSS 1: The users hate the microtransactions for added features that we promised them for free!
BW BOSS 2: They are dumping on us all over social media!
BW BIGBOSS: FINE. Give them the crappy plugins they already paid for; BUT DESTROY THE BROWSER. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

Pretty sure that is what went down.

Hi guys, just a quick question about the Browser (5.0.6): I like being able to save custom collections in the quick selection bar. But: Customizing the Tags or Categories seems impossible - in general, everywhere. Is that true? Does that make sense? I'm not sure. I usually LOVE to have my own categorization. (e.g. in Komplete kontrol, i built my own custom tag-order and subfolders)
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

Yeah i miss the old browser, still cant find stuff sometimes now. The previous was more than enough.

Me too… Being a Bitwig user since the early days it makes me kind of sad how something so simple and elegant can just be destroyed and replaced by this.
The old browser sure had an improvement potential but it’s simplicity was one thing that really got me hooked with Bitwig. This new is just horrible in my opinion. I never had to resort to the manual or watch tiring instruction videos on YouTube to understand the old one. And that really says it all… :(

Sadly I also miss the simplicity and immediacy of the all browser. :(
New one is infuriating some times to say the least.

yes another example yesterday, plugin tone booster installed, can't found tone booster under manufacturer tag ?

dupont wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:59 pm yes another example yesterday, plugin tone booster installed, can't found tone booster under manufacturer tag ?
'ToneBoosters' - no space between the two words.

Hate to pile on, but yeah the new browser isnt my favorite. Im getting that weird drifting thing all the time, where presets and content just... move around the browser window when Bitwig is not indexing anything. Im just sitting there, looking at Bitwig, and Im watching presets disappear, reappear, move up and down their list, etc. Wtf?

Finding things seems more difficult, or to take more steps now. My main complaint is the strange content drifting/shifting behavior. Startup indexing is still very slow, and takes 5+ minutes for my large libraries, even when nothing in the library has changed.

I wish there was a button for presets along with the buttons for samples etc

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:15 pm I wish there was a button for presets along with the buttons for samples etc
What do you mean?

Return to “Bitwig”