Beyerdynamic Headphone & comparison to others

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I started to use Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X, but I'm noticing it doesn't have that much clarity specially at the mid range (sounds muddy in there).
It lacks details in the mid & low mid with some emphasis in the low range feels a bit exaggerated & Punchy. the overall tonality is not that much.
I was expecting elements to be clear specially at the mid.

Previously I was using a 50$ TDK headphones (for casual listening) & it was fine, the mids were obvious & the overall tonality where good.

Is it natural that a Hi-End studio Headphones will always sound typical to Beyerdynamic in other words the clarity will be on the Low & Hi (smiley frequency curve) & the cheaper will sound more to the mid range?
I knowledge that every headphone sounded different each one have unique driver on there own & such factors will cause each HP to sound different due to different coloring which leads to different listening experience.
but I can't really make decision & define the right HP or may be I'm not used to my new beyerdynamic & it takes time to understand it.

I don't know If there is a tool that translate what response I want to find the proper HP for me. I only know Toneboosters "Morphit" a VST plugin that correct such HP but it doesn't have stand alone version for listening outside the DAW.

What do you think about Beyerdynamic DT Pro? how does it sound in comparison to others eg. Sony MDR-7506?
anyone have listening experience with many HPs or own different brands would suggest?
Last edited by horizon7 on Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:popcorn:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:12 pm:popcorn:
what do you mean by that?

Personally when I chose Beyerdynamic I was looking for flat respone, good price and comfortable headband. All boxes checked out. Previously was a fan (and still am) of AKG studio headphones, unfortunately, their headband is cheap (no padding) and feels like a razor on my head, despite sounding better than Beyerdynamic for same price. So for studio use, they are great. For casual listening, don't know, not my cup of tea.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

I mean, it was somewhat to be expected. DT-770's have some nice characteristics, but a flat freq response is not one.

We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Pretty sure no headphone have a flat response. Planar may get closer. If you don't like the sound, get something else.

For me, fit and comfort matters as much as how they sound. I've never tried more comfortable cans than the DT880 Pros I have. For sound, I dial in SoundID at about 60% and pair it with CanOpener. SoundID tames the 8khz or so peak and smooths our the lows.

Headphones, corrected or otherwise are always second best for accurate mixing decisions compared to serious monitors in a serious room. There might be a few extremely rare exceptions, but they are a "if that's all you have got, it'll have to do." scenario.

99.9pct of Pro's are NOT using headphones to mix.

You'll just have to muddle along with them like everyone else does. Good luck, you will need it. Double-y so if you are not an actual audio engineer who knows what they are doing.

Just the facts of the matter.

Propellerhands wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:28 pm Personally when I chose Beyerdynamic I was looking for flat respone, good price and comfortable headband. All boxes checked out. Previously was a fan (and still am) of AKG studio headphones, unfortunately, their headband is cheap (no padding) and feels like a razor on my head, despite sounding better than Beyerdynamic for same price. So for studio use, they are great. For casual listening, don't know, not my cup of tea.
This is why I chose Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros. They are best when you need a fairly flat response. For casual listening I have a pair of Aiaiai TMA-2.

I never mix in headphones, since for me it is impossible with any headphones.
BUT I prefer Beyerdynamics for both listning and checking mixes. They sit SO good on my head, so comfortable that I can use them 12h straight...

I had the DT250 and liked them but recently they died and I replaced them with the DT900 ProX which are more comfortable and sound pretty good. I dont really worry too much about frequency response curves of headphones becase I am using them for specific purposes - when I dont want to disturb anyone else and when I want to listen in close to detail. Otherwise I use my Adam A7 monitors. But I have mixed on headphones with reasonable success and would not care what brand I used as long as they were of a similar quality to what I have used in the past and were comfortable to wear. The main dangerI foundwith headphones is to pump up the lows so much the mix doesn't translate well to other sorts of speaker systems. Once you realise that you just adjust

I own both a DT990 Pro (250 Ohm) and a DT770 Pro (32 Ohm) and to me they're the most comfortable cans ever with their distinct soft padding. By the looks of it you've gotten used to the characteristics of your TDK headphones and that's key.

I was / am sort of in the same boat as I'm travelling now and don't have my studio and proper monitors and the (good) advice I got here was to learn how to mix on my headphones, getting to know their pitfalls and using reference tracks in that learning process.

Aside from Morphit you also have SoundID from Sonar works or you can use any EQ app from SOUNDID to Neutralizer to tailor your soundprofile. In the past I've use the VRM Box (discontinued but still on EBAY) to quickly change soundprofiles.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”