48khz -> 44.1khz = is there any advantage going down?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys, some years ago i decided to go 48khz and 24bit and recently i discussed with someone who said 48khz is not worthy, takes more performance and plugins might get buggy/glitchy?

i always thought 48khz is a golden standard and better quality when exporting and working with it. even when you upload wav on youtube, bandcamp etc. it is better to use than 44khz.

im confused! any experiences on this?

thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Haven't we had this very discussion dozens and dozens of times before?

<tl;dr> What's your distribution target? Stick to that. At the end I'd stick with 48kHz and not lose too much sleep over it.</tl;dr>

48kHz is "not worthy"? I think you meant "not worth it".

The performance difference is roughly an extra (48-44.1)/44.1 = 9%. I'll tell you what happens if you currently have glitchiness and switch to the lower sample rate and that indeed fixes it. Eventually you'll throw in an extra CPU hog (or two) and you get the glitchiness back again. So you were already living on the edge of what your system can handle. Start saving up for something more powerful. Or review the necessity of using CPU hogs in the first place.

I think Youtube resamples everything to their own preferred internal format of 44.1kHz.
Q: Is any quality lost in the process?
A: You're talking about Youtube, so it doesn't really matter.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

48K is fine, unless you are pressing CDs, then perhaps 44.1. Tracking maybe higher.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Most sample libraries I encountered are 44k, apart from Spitfire ones that I have since targeting film scoring that is 48k standard.

So 44k libraries resample realtime doing 48k projects and had no problem with that. If any more cpu doing that I did not notice. But some use simpler algo for realtime mixing and then best algo doing final export.

But daws like Cakewalk/Sonar can do upsampling to double or more of project sample rate in transparent fashion for certain complex waveforms like strings that benefit from less aliasing then. You set for each plugin and easy to turn on/off as you please for playback or just rendering.

As I recall Youtube have recommendation to have 48k uploading video.
So why resample in so many stages.
- if doing video you are set
- if doing audio only resample to 44k once. I encountered one player that did not like 48k in mp3 as an example.

Go 48k, its the standard now. Changed to it, didnt look back, even with this 10 year old PC :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

48k, unless you have a slow computer, which case 44 is fine and used on CDs

You will use a bit less CPU and memory, but unless you’re using an ancient computer, don’t worry about it. Sounds to me like your friend formed his opinion in the 90s and has yet to revise it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

thanks a lot guys! do you know how much overall you save around? i mean is it about only a few % or maybe 5% or so?

i was wondering myself too but also at the same time maybe he is right?
where i use music:
CDr
Youtube
Social MEdia overall
maybe testing Spotify
Bandcamp

and i think all these platforms use/convert to 44.1 khz anyway?

if so, why should i use 48khz?

thx :)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Do you want to have a short argument, or the full two hours?
BertKoor wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:26 am The performance difference is roughly an extra (48-44.1)/44.1 = 9%.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:51 pm Do you want to have a short argument, or the full two hours?
BertKoor wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:26 am The performance difference is roughly an extra (48-44.1)/44.1 = 9%.
thx do you know if a sample conversion from 48khz -> 44.1khz is worse than have a 44.1khz exported audio file first place?

Return to “Production Techniques”