MONA - New GUI for Diva

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nebulae wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:20 pm I would like to reiterate previous requests to make a smaller version of MONA.
That's a long hard road. To make it happen I have to re-calculate and re-input every coordinates of every UI elements in the script, which is far harder than making Neumann Pro from Neumann, though it may sound counterintuitive.
And apart from that, In my estimation, simply shrinking the whole UI does not work well.

Ordinary skins are primarily adjusted for normal (or relatively small) displays. Small/large screen users have to compromise, but it's OK-level. Yet here large screen users have a small frustration that they have enough space to put more knobs, rather than just enlarging knobs.

MONA, on the other hand, took an uncommon way that aims primarily at large screen users. This is because Neumann Pro, which is also for large screen users, seems successful and I think this is the value that only third-party developers can bring.
But this comes with a price: For small screen users it can inevitably get cramped. The image below illustrates the situation.

That's how MONA achieved the great workflow without tabs. It is like a forbidden fruit in UI design...and that's why I show a warning message about the UI size on DEMO tab of the product page.
If I officially make small version of MONA, I guess I will have to make many adjustments or even reconsider some of the UIs. So it's beyond what I can serve as a "free update".

That being said, there could be a way to improve it without much drastic changes. I experimentally made 80% size background images for modules:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/public/des ... %20modules

These are not the same as the images shrunk by a photo editor. These are exported directly in 80% size from my designing app so they are more beautifully rendered.
Can you please try replacing image files with these and use the skin with 80% zoom rate? Though not sure how u-he handles UI zooming, images pre-shrunk to 80% size displayed in 80% zoom mean virtually-100% zoom and could possibly bring a better (less jaggy) result. If this works it is a very good news since it needs no script editing. I'm gonna make 80% version of all images, as a workaround for small screen users.
ImageMONA, the new skin for DIVA is released! | Follow me on Twitter.

^ Thank you for that explanation. I do understand the technical limitations of the skin development, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

I would love to try the 80% experiment. Unfortunately, the dropbox link didn't work. Can you reshare it? Thanks

nebulae wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:42 am ^ Thank you for that explanation. I do understand the technical limitations of the skin development, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

I would love to try the 80% experiment. Unfortunately, the dropbox link didn't work. Can you reshare it? Thanks
Oops I failed to make it public! Now the link below should be accessible:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/x9x4t4b4 ... 8slbl&dl=0

Hoping it will bring a good result...!! :pray:

Screenshots for comparison on Macbook Pro 14

MONA at 80%:
MONA at 80.png
MONA80 set to 80%:
MONA80 at 80.png
And for comparison, AIKO at 100%:
AIKO 100.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nebulae on Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

^ Unfortunately, not much of a difference. In fact, I'd say that MONA at 80% is better (more vibrant text, etc,) than MONA80 set to 80%.

Mmmm... That is a bad news.
What screen resolution are you using? I'd like to know if your mac is retina display or not.
MONA (and AIKO) is made for retina displays (all images have doubled resolution than its display size), and in non-retina displays it may cause shaggy render, especially in zoom rates other than 100%.

Default setting, 1512x982:
Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 10.44.31 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Actually, I take my previous comment back. This is definitely workable. I had fired up MONA80 at 80% while connected to my big screen. I am now looking at it on my macbook pro display, and this is definitely workable. See updated screenshot:
MONA80 at 80% on M2 MBP14.jpg

Wow wow what happened?!
The previous screenshot images are in the size of 1510x910px, whereas the last one is 3018x1818px, looking like retina display system is turned on :o
Connecting to big screen did the trick?? And in that situation do MONA80 images look better than the original MONA?

so great! thanks for ur time:)

mike.

Hey Plugmon, the website appears to be down atm. Keen to purchase, so if you could get on that, that would be great.

Hi Plugmon, thanks for your amazing work (also for Zebra and Hive).

One detail I wanted to ask about MONA and your other skins: Is it possible to directly MIDI learn any of the "mod src" controls? In the original skin "mod amount" and "mod source" have different buttons, whereas they overlap in your skins, making MIDI Learn impossible. But I could imagine that it is not possible with the GUI scripts...

SteffenPL wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:38 pm Hi Plugmon, thanks for your amazing work (also for Zebra and Hive).

One detail I wanted to ask about MONA and your other skins: Is it possible to directly MIDI learn any of the "mod src" controls? In the original skin "mod amount" and "mod source" have different buttons, whereas they overlap in your skins, making MIDI Learn impossible. But I could imagine that it is not possible with the GUI scripts...
The learn isn't dependent on the skin. So you can switch to the default skin, Learn, then go back to Mona and your assignments will still be in place.

Thanks, that's right! I'm doing this at the moment as well. The question came up, as I spent a lot of time making nice MIDI mappings for a Faderfox EC4 (for DIVA/MONDA and Zebra/Neumann). It's purely a matter of convenience (and I totally understand if it's just not relevant!)

lookin for that Repro plugmon skin to come out....

Return to “u-he”