crusher-X not 'initializing' when loaded into 'Patchwork'?:SOLVED

Official support for: accsone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have recently been trying to use crusher-X within Blue Cat Audio's 'Patchwork' plug-in.

The reason to do so, is that by opening it in 'Patchwork Synth'...I then have access to 8 stereo pairs (L3~R10) from crusher-X, which otherwise, within my preferred host 'Numerology 4 Pro' (which only hosts AU format), I would only have the single main L/R.

The issue I am having, is 9.9 times out of 10...when I open 'crusher-X' within 'Patchwork' AU, 'crusher-X' does not seem to 'initialize the audio (or whatever internal process that generates the actual grains).

In other words, the GUI opens, all the parameter controls work, BUT, the grain display is devoid of ANY grains? (not even empty blank outlines). Pressing 'Respawn', loading known working 'Factory' presets, etc...changes nothing. No grains in display are ever generated, despite everything else appearing normal.

In the 'Standalone' version of Patchwork, this does not happen. It ALWAYS loads/works as expected.

It has worked previously, but Patchwork 'presets' saved with that exact, working version will NOT reopen working in above described scenario of 'Patchwork' plug-in. ONLY opening the the previously working Numerology 'Session' itself will give me a working version.

I have tried both crusher-X AU and crusher-X vst (as 'Patchwork' will work as 'shell' for either), and they both refuse to generate ANY grains when opened in Patchwork Synth AU, except the rare occasion when it does...so I have to build an entire session around that other session...which is to say, it's not like it CAN'T work...it will, but it just doesn't most the time and I can't seem to pinpoint any particular difference from when it does, or doesn't, except 'luck-of-the-draw'?

I eventually went back to a session where it was working, and using that seemingly aberrant session that DOES work, have to construct a new session around it to keep crusher-X working loaded as a multi-out 'Patchwork Synth' version. But loading that EXACT 'Patchwork' preset, or that Numerology 'Stack' module in a new, blank session does NOT???

Any clue in above description as to what is causing this inability to consistently load with working grain generation under these specific conditions?

In attached screenshots...side-by-side, you can see the first instance of crusher-X is working correctly (this is previously working session I have been building 'around', the second screenshot is showing EXACT same session at same time, but with a new, added 'stack' of 'Patchwork Synth', and both SAME 'Patchwork' preset and 'crusher-X' sheet loaded...where NO grains are being created! Same, open session...one instance is working, one is not, with no otherwise differences between them???

OSX 10.9.5 / crusher-X 10.23.15 / Numerology4 Pro (build 186) / Patch Work Synth v2.66

Thanks in advance
(I have also sent this report to your email in case)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Loopy C on Thu May 25, 2023 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris R Gibson ( a.k.a. Loopy C )
https://soundcloud.com/loopy-c

FWIW, after using the above session to create/bounce all day (~8 hours), the final session crashed...and then after reopening THAT session everything stopped working (i.e. crusher-X no longer generated grains).

Due to the crash, I was ALSO now unable to open 'Patchwork Synth' containing the 'crusher-X' vst without crashing session again (and that applied to all ten sessions from today!).

Here is what seemed to be THAT issue:

Thread 67 Crashed:
0 com.accsone.crusherx-mac-vst 0x000000016333e3a8 CXSPLUGEDITWINDOW$_$TFMAIN_$__$$_EXTPARAMUPDATE$LONGINT + 104
1 com.accsone.crusherx-mac-vst 0x0000000163328c56 BSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE$_$TBSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE_$__$$_INTBRIDGELISTTOMESSAGE$crcB92B735F + 150
2 com.accsone.crusherx-mac-vst 0x000000016332854d BSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE$_$TBSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE_$__$$_BSDXLEARNMSG$TDXMSG + 125
3 com.accsone.crusherx-mac-vst 0x0000000163328740 BSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE$_$TBSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE_$__$$_ONTHREADWORK$TBSDXTHREADPOOLTHREAD + 144
4 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8be6972a _pthread_start + 137
5 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8be6dfc9 thread_start + 13

After logging out/and back in...I could reopen sessions and 'Patchwork Synt'h again, but 'crusher-X' now remained 'dead' concerning grain ANY generation in all the sessions that had earlier been working.

The ORIGINAL session I had used to create today's master session from (that previously was ONLY one that had worked (regarding 'Patchwork Synth' and 'crusher-X' vst Multi-outs), DID re-open with crusher-X working in this Multi-out configuration...so I'm stumped!

All other 'regular' applications of crusher-X (as AU stereo FX/regular Patchwork FX AU (stereo)/Standalone Patchwork (stereo AND multi-outs!) remain working as intended. It is only in trying to use 'Patchwork Synth' AU to access crusher-X vst 'Multi-outs' in a AU hosting environment that I have all these issues.

Thanks in advance

Ahh, figured it out ('user error').

'Patchwork' needs some kind of 'audio input' to initialize itself (and thus the hosted 'crusher-X')...EVEN if that audio is subsequently muted.

Since I was loading 'crusher-X''s buffer in above sessions rather than feeding it audio from bus as before,it was 'Patchwork' that was not initializing in above scenarios.

As Roseanne Rosannadanna, would say — it's always somethin' ;-)

Loopy C wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:27 am
Here is what seemed to be THAT issue:

Thread 67 Crashed:
0 com.accsone.crusherx-mac-vst 0x000000016333e3a8 CXSPLUGEDITWINDOW$_$TFMAIN_$__$$_EXTPARAMUPDATE$LONGINT + 104
1 com.accsone.crusherx-mac-vst 0x0000000163328c56 BSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE$_$TBSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE_$__$$_INTBRIDGELISTTOMESSAGE$crcB92B735F + 150
2 com.accsone.crusherx-mac-vst 0x000000016332854d BSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE$_$TBSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE_$__$$_BSDXLEARNMSG$TDXMSG + 125
3 com.accsone.crusherx-mac-vst 0x0000000163328740 BSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE$_$TBSDXMESSAGEBRIDGE_$__$$_ONTHREADWORK$TBSDXTHREADPOOLTHREAD + 144
4 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8be6972a _pthread_start + 137
5 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8be6dfc9 thread_start + 13

A
There is a new build on the server (download as described in your delivery mail) that should solve the AU validation crash on older macOS systems. This fix was verified by several customers.

Best
accSone

Return to “accSone”