ANALOGy5 ?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got an email about this.
Introductory price: $19.
https://cherryaudio.com/videos/analogy5 ... ge-modular
Thoughts?

I think it is missing a real opportunity to utilize the modular platform due to not having any patching or CV capabilities.

Hi, developer of the module here, for anyone else interested. ANALOGy5 is designed to be a self-contained MIDI-controlled instrument so has a pre-configured signal flow and its own 4 modulation sources (LFO + ASR envelopes with host sync, plus optional MIDI mod wheel and aftertouch control) and 20 possible modulation destinations. The built-in mod matrix was designed to allow some pretty complex modulation setups *without* patching, that could be saved as part of an instrument preset.

5 day free trial available, and Voltage Modular Nucleus is also currently free.

Downloaded demo. Can't get it to work. I'm thinking true modular is just not something I'm suited for. Obviously five days won't give me enough time to evaluate...

In case it does happen somewhere down the road, what will be its regular price?

BBFG# wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:43 pmCan't get it to work.
If you're not familiar with Voltage Modular, we'd suggest to get going initially to try it out:
  • Start Voltage Modular standalone
  • Add ANALOGy5 from your Library
  • Connect MIDI FROM HOST to MIDI IN
  • Connect (L) OUT (R) outputs to MAIN OUTS to host
You should now be good to go with any MIDI controller sending on channel 1. If you've already tried the above and still having problems, please let us know.

Hope that helps, -Rob @ Waverley Instruments
BBFG# wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:43 pmwhat will be its regular price?
$25 after 1st June.

As it lacks CV ins / outs, ANALOGy5 isn't "true modular" - think of it more as a soft synth that runs inside Voltage Modular.

Okay, got it working.
Nice sound and it's nice to have a quick poly in the modular environment. Might be nice to have an increment up/down button for the preset auditioning instead of the drop down banks. At the current price vs. the regular price though, it doesn't feel like a must have at this point (if all).
Still thinking this modular thing is not something I'm willing to spend money or time on...

Thanks for your help though.

Waverley Instruments wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:17 am Hi, developer of the module here, for anyone else interested. ANALOGy5 is designed to be a self-contained MIDI-controlled instrument so has a pre-configured signal flow and its own 4 modulation sources (LFO + ASR envelopes with host sync, plus optional MIDI mod wheel and aftertouch control) and 20 possible modulation destinations. The built-in mod matrix was designed to allow some pretty complex modulation setups *without* patching, that could be saved as part of an instrument preset.

5 day free trial available, and Voltage Modular Nucleus is also currently free.
So why make it a Voltage Modular module, then?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

We really like developing for Voltage Modular. Plus, why not?

Waverley Instruments wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:08 pm We really like developing for Voltage Modular. Plus, why not?
It just seems weird. Like Sequential making a Eurorack version of the Prophet 6, but with no patch points.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:04 am
Waverley Instruments wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:08 pm We really like developing for Voltage Modular. Plus, why not?
It just seems weird. Like Sequential making a Eurorack version of the Prophet 6, but with no patch points.
They have a nice development app built in, an ever expanding product line at a reasonable price-point, and handle sales/distribution. Seems like a viable marketing choice to me. (though yes, the lack of patch points seems like a missed opportunity, but that's just me)

I love VM.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:56 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:04 am
They have a nice development app built in, an ever expanding product line at a reasonable price-point, and handle sales/distribution. Seems like a viable marketing choice to me. (though yes, the lack of patch points seems like a missed opportunity, but that's just me)

I love VM.
That's a better way to put it. It's not weird to make a full synth voice module, it's weird to make one and not expose it to the rest of the modulation system.
Zerocrossing Media

Waverley Instruments wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:19 pm As it lacks CV ins / outs, ANALOGy5 isn't "true modular" - think of it more as a soft synth that runs inside Voltage Modular.
I do not have this module (nor have I demoed it), but if someone wanted to use CVs from within VM, could they use any of the CV-to-MIDI modules VM has (either from CA or third-party developers?

Also, I have seen other module-makers develop companion remote modules (break-out boxes). Has Waverley Instruments given any thought to making a remote/break-out box for CVs?

By the way, congrats of the release of ANALOGy5. It looks like a snazzy (and very useful) synth for use within VM.

Steve W wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:54 pm I do not have this module (nor have I demoed it), but if someone wanted to use CVs from within VM, could they use any of the CV-to-MIDI modules VM has (either from CA or third-party developers?

Also, I have seen other module-makers develop companion remote modules (break-out boxes). Has Waverley Instruments given any thought to making a remote/break-out box for CVs?

By the way, congrats of the release of ANALOGy5. It looks like a snazzy (and very useful) synth for use within VM.
Hi Steve,

ANALOGy5 doesn't have a remote MIDI spec, partly due to that impacting the development time / cost, but mainly due to there being 164 instrument parameters which would make such an implementation challenging. Also, given the main driver for providing external MIDI control would be for modulation, we feel that's covered to a certain degree by the built-in modulation matrix. So no, a CV-to-MIDI module wouldn't be of any use if you're talking about modulation from an external source.

And the challenge with a break-out box, is how many parameters would we provide CV control for? All 164? Instead, we arrived at a design, based on feedback from testers that resulted in the mod matrix as it is, which we think / hope covers most needs in a musical context.

Having a built-in mod matrix also means that fairly complex modulations can be saved as part of an instrument preset, rather than a preset in Voltage Modular itself. There's also a technical limitation that doesn't allow patching to be saved and recalled within a module programatically so that's also why the built-in mod matrix isn't presented as a traditional patch bay.

Funnily enough, of the people who've purchased or demo'd ANALOGy5, nobody has been in touch (yet...) to say they feel that they'd want more features (incl. ext CV) or flexibility from the built-in mod matrix. Either they're happy with the way it is, or they're willing to work within its limitations and make some music. Either way, we're happy with that :)

Thanks for the congrats, much appreciated. ANALOGy5 is our best selling module to date.

-Rob @ Waverley Instruments

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:56 pm They have a nice development app built in, an ever expanding product line at a reasonable price-point, and handle sales/distribution. Seems like a viable marketing choice to me.
Hi Shabdahbriah,

Yes! This is very much part of the reason for developing ANALOGy5 for Voltage Modular. Plus it means we don't have to bear the overhead of dealing with issues arising from updates to DAWs and operating systems, which is potentially huge - especially where Apple and Logic are concerned! That's why the instrument isn't $99, or $49, it means we can do it for $19 :wink:
Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:56 pm I love VM.
So do we! :)

And hopefully the design decisions around lack of patch points / CV has been covered in the previous post, at least from our perspective. -Rob

Nice sounds in demo

Return to “Modular Synthesis”