Which production concepts/techniques have improved your production the most?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not paying my internet bill.

Make quick decisions, trust instincts. If I spend 20 seconds EQing a thing, it almost always sounds better than if I had spent 20 minutes EQing that same thing. Make a move, commit, and continue.

Also I get way more done if I just print everything to audio immediately (i.e. record all track output as audio ... no midi left over). Make a move, commit, and continue.

Raddler1 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:43 pm Not paying my internet bill.
Also, that, yeah. I lived in a house with no internet for 4 years ... never made more music in my life than i did during that period.

I had a couple of my tracks professionally mastered by Obsidian Sound. Nathan Moody gave me some helpful advice on better recordings and mixes. (He's also spoken at synth conventions and talked about recording live with modular synths where mixing is not a separate process, and unsurprisingly a lot of the advice was similar.) He also described what he did and used during mastering. Super helpful!

In particular, paying more attention to stereo phase correlation improved my stereo image quite a bit. I've always liked stereo detuning and mid/side fuckery, but until then I'd ignored the consequences (thinking it was a problem only for people who listen in mono or want to cut vinyl). I was wrong.

It helps to no save all my projects. Its nice to not completely commit to ideas, just practicing using the software and having fun

For me, it helped spending time with Melodyne to fully understand what it can do and using it for several things in both mixing and sound design. For example, deessing got much better.

aevang wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:41 pm Oh - I should also add: Focusing on making sure the song is actually being written, as opposed to endlessly mixing and tweaking a half-baked idea. We're all guilty of it but me especially. Gregory Scott has a good video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImV7_-96tKk

I love this man. This video should be permanently pinned to KVR's front page.

https://youtu.be/ImV7_-96tKk
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

aevang wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:41 pm Focusing on making sure the song is actually being written, as opposed to endlessly mixing and tweaking a half-baked idea.
Yes, yes - you have to make that clear to yourself every day:
The S O N G is the most important thing! :scared:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Been recording for a while now, but one of the most important things to understand is dynamics.
Once you learn to "hear" compression and how dynamics work (and dont work) in a mix, things get easier.

Also, when to use compression, and when not to use it.
Dont put it on everything, it just makes everything sound flat and dont use the same settings on everything.

Use the least amount of compression required to get the job done and then go from there.

Once you understand that, mixing gets easier.

Taking listening breaks. Doing some ear-cleaning but listening to some other music, or just silence. Then return

Panning
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

For me DJing: a world that never interested me in the least, but taking advantage that I had an iPad I called my attention to the Djay app with the separation of steams with AI, the automatic BMP/Key detection etc ... I started to use it and I saw that listening to records, analyzing loops etc. made me see listening to music at another level much higher than putting a record and just listen to it. There were many moments in which I thought "I wish now I had another track with this particular thing because it would be great at this moment... wait a minute! I got here because I produced music!". So I just did it.

Separate sound design from composing. If I'm writing a track but also trying to build patches, I tend to lose the musical concept in favour of infinite tweaking.

For me, 70% of my music time is now spent playing with my synths/stuff, building sounds. Having no deeper intention for the sound itself beyond making something tasty and interesting opens up creativity vastly.

On the subject of making patches, I also find it useful to regularly save, ie after almost every change I make. IME, a good preset is often only 3-4 changes from being awful and I cannot overstate the amount of times I've stumbled onto a great sound only to needlessly change it for the worst and struggle to walk it back. Save regularly!

One quick tip that will improve your mixes is go threw all your tracks and remove or lower sub bass frequencies (with discretion).

In digital recording, you would be surprised at the amount of low frequencies that you don't want, or need, that maybe on your tracks.

Those frequencies only muddy up things.

Removing them can not only create more clarity, it can actually make the mix sound more punchy.

Its an easy and powerful technique.

Return to “Production Techniques”