Tuning Drum Samples

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If doing hiphop with 2-3s sounding kicks
- tuning matters
- it becomes a note

Percussive notes don't need to be tuned to music. To some degree to genre possibly, metal, jazz etc.

Otherwise I would only spend time on pitch between snare, rack toms, floor toms and kick. And relation between crash cymbals etc.

And other aspects like you have settings for in drumsamplers
- amount of muffle
- decay times

and similar.

There are loads of YT vids with tunings acoustic drums if to go deeper. Some talk about what they tune upper skin to a note, and lower bottom skin to another etc. Some meant they tune bottom skin to upper skin on next tom etc. Many styles to preference.

I don't know why I hear you don't tune drums. I just read an article about drummers tuning their snares. Kicks, I get. In a real drum kit you probably can't tune a kick, but I'm not a drummer (but I play one on Soundcloud) I definitely get hip hop because sometimes the kicks are unbelievable and can propel the tune.

To the OP. Generally tuning the fundamental of a kick to the root of the key of the song or a perfect fifth from there is a good move if you just want something that has a nice round bottom in the sub region. If you're using long 808s or something then the kick often becomes a large part of the bass line and then you have far more pitch to consider. I generally tune things so the loudest spectral peak is centered around the 1 or 5 and then try and have the body of the answering beat (often a snare) about a fifth to an octave above that. Waves actually makes a nice plugin for repitching just the fundamental of a drum sound. It's crazy handy even though it's basically a crossover and a pitch shifter. I can't come up with the name off the top of my head though.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:20 pm
RyanM12 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:44 pm If anything, i would detune drums to make sure they are not hitting the same frequencies. I want my drums to punch through not blend in
What if the kick hits the bass? You tuning to thirds and or fifths?
Lol what? it's irrelevant.
If your kick is long enough that it's making a solid note, then it's a bass so sure tune it, and if your other bass is clashing that's an arrangement issue (or you need sidechaining, trackspacer, etc). Check out Deadmou5 video on that topic.

I have a feeling a lot producers who say "tune your drum samples to the key" don't even know what key means. But anyway I don't make that music so I should stay out of it.

One piece of advice I've read is you have to decide what the dominant is in your song. It's either the kick or the bass.

Totally not irrelevant for me. I will often tune my short kick (in kick 2) to the same note as the bass (with phase reset on trigger for consistency). I have never listened to a Deadmouse track my life. For reference to why I do what I do, check out the lowend inRhythm and Sound, See Mi Yah Reshape.
RyanM12 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:02 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:20 pm
RyanM12 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:44 pm If anything, i would detune drums to make sure they are not hitting the same frequencies. I want my drums to punch through not blend in

What if the kick hits the bass? You tuning to thirds and or fifths?
Lol what? it's irrelevant.
If your kick is long enough that it's making a solid note, then it's a bass so sure tune it, and if your other bass is clashing that's an arrangement issue (or you need sidechaining, trackspacer, etc). Check out Deadmou5 video on that topic.

I have a feeling a lot producers who say "tune your drum samples to the key" don't even know what key means. But anyway I don't make that music so I should stay out of it.

lo que hace sebastian leger en sus producciones es usar el resonador de ableton y ajusta el resonador solo para las baterias en la nota que esta trabajando toda la pista, obvio sin exagerar

deleted.
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

BertKoor wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:34 pm I'm not guessing: real drummers with real drum kits don't retune or switch kit because the next song is in a different key.
This is a very good point, IMO.

A corollary statement would be to point out that drummers with huge kits often have tons of tonal percussion (Neil Peart, for example—hear Xanadu for a great example). So, he's got to think about the whole presentation. I'm sure he thought about the tightness of his snare heads in relation to the general dominant timbres of his whole band—how to be heard but not overheard, if that makes sense. But, yeah, he probably wasn't using technology to find a fundamental frequency to rule all fundamental freqs. He just got that sucker to crack and poke through and yet allow for nuance.

Return to “Production Techniques”