AAS Multiphonics CV-2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope that AAS are reading these comments. I also paid for CV-1 and was disappointed about the lack of development. I’ve stopped using it in favour of VCV and a touch of Cherry Audio.

If AAS want to build a user base for CV-2 in this fiercely competitive market the upgrade should be $10 max.

I'm out, too little, too expansive.

I understand the sentiment in this thread, but I'll offer a little counterpoint: I've spent a lot of time with Softube Modular, Voltage Modular, VCV Rack, Multiphonics CV, and hardware Eurorack. I have found things to love about all of these. Multiphonics CV was what I think finally taught me "patch programming" where I started figuring out how to make interesting patches from simpler, lower level building blocks using fundamental concepts of synthesis, whereas in almost every other system I was just wiring together more complex modules that already did a lot of stuff internally (sort of like stringing some plugins together in a DAW). The focus on the limited set of modules can be a strength because it is possible to learn everything thoroughly, and indeed I learned a lot about modular synthesis from using it. In my opinion, the usability of Multiphonics is also quite good.

That said, CV-1 was fairly limited as we all know. Several major categories of modules were not present (like distortion/waveshaping and switches), and such gaps did not exist in the competition. My first impression of CV-2 was very underwhelming, but I upgraded anyway because I want to support all things modular synthesis. After digging in a bit, there are some really nice additions. But to be clear, I totally understand the mentality that "this should have been there in v1 or been a free/cheaper upgrade":
  • the focus on stereo processing, including mid/side utilities and panning modules, is very nice and makes using it as an FX plugin pretty compelling
  • the new band splitter is cool
  • saturation and bit crushing fills in the gap for distortion capabilities
  • the crossfader can be used as a 4-to-1 switch, filling in the gap of switching capabilities (although I would also have liked a 1-to-4 switch too)
  • the new comparator module is great for low level patch programming and pairs well with the crossfader-as-a-switch
  • some modules were enhanced to work well at audio rates, making the whole thing more like a real modular synth
So I dunno, I'm pretty happy about all that. Was it worth the upgrade price? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the flip side, there are some things I am pretty unhappy about:

They made the interface scalable but kept the same limited space for patching. Once you use up that space, you can't add more modules! WTF?!? My computer can totally handle it, and you have a scrolling view pane, so there's practically no reason for this limitation. I have some cool patch ideas I cannot achieve simply because AAS decided I should only have a limited amount of space to place modules? Whhhyyyy? Is it supposed to be like hardware, where you are always running out of rack space and you need to deal with "creative limitations"? The point of software is to not have that problem. And with the bigger focus on stereo processing I feel like most of the modules take up more space so its like I have even less than in CV-1. You guys are killing me. Ugh...

Some module categories are still missing. We have distortion options now, but there's still no wavefolding. There's a huge range of "west coast" sounds we are missing out on there. Like I mentioned I would still like to see a 1-to-many switch. I would have also liked to see some more sequencing stuff or a turing machine.

And even though I said the usability is good, there are some basic quality of life features missing like being able to select and move/duplicate groups of modules, or save groups of modules as patch "snippets".

TL;DR - There's some really nice improvements here, but yeah, maybe a bit pricey for what it is. However, it makes me extremely frustrated I still have such a limited space for patching. Very disappointed on that front.
Last edited by adamj on Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

What you get for 10 $/€ these days … ?

I only have Softube Modular and this - UX of this is ways better than with softube (scalable UI, better handling of virtual patching cables, no toggle, etc.) With softube you would have gotten a max of 4 modules for the update price - during a sale ….

Nice additions (stereo, new modules, UI scaling).

Best

steff3 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:25 am What you get for 10 $/€ these days … ?

I only have Softube Modular and this - UX of this is ways better than with softube (scalable UI, better handling of virtual patching cables, no toggle, etc.) With softube you would have gotten a max of 4 modules for the update price - during a sale ….

Nice additions (stereo, new modules, UI scaling).

Best
softube sounds better than multiphonics, and the basic utility modules all come for free with softube, which I bought for around the same price as this upgrade.

adamj wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:20 pmOn the flip side, there are some things I am pretty unhappy about:

They made the interface scalable but kept the same limited space for patching. Once you use up that space, you can't add more modules! WTF?!?
+1

That's also the biggest downside for me. Very silly, because CV-1/2 is pretty low on CPU.

The second disappointment for me is still just one Midi input. At least they should add a quad-voice module/option, like the Vermona hardware module, or the virtual equivalent in Softube Modular.

love CV-1; great UI; great sound; CPU friendly; but yeah it's too much money for too little. might want to see what people do with that before considering upgrading. Some of the stereo stuff is already doable with CV-1 using VCAs.
And yeah some form of polyphony would be dope. I'm sure there's a way without disrupting the whole concept. maybe upgrade the keyboard input module to a poly module. maybe add a module that connects to the keyboard cv /gate and deals with this. maybe add logic to store not values in a module. In the meantime if you really want poly you can use several instances and a custom m4l poly module.

I bought it since I thinks it sounds good, cv-1 did and so does cv-2. I've not played around a lot with it but the sound is comparable to softube modular so far. €49 for an upgrade is not to much for this package.

For me cv-1 does what I want already, and the new capabilites I got covered in several other ways with less limitations and modular. So for me it's like buying another cup of coffe for €49 , and I don't buy a cup of coffe for that. When the price goes up its even worse.

backtomusic wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:46 pmSo for me it's like buying another cup of coffe for €49 , and I don't buy a cup of coffe for that.
A full scalable GUI and additional modules is nothing? I don't think so. They could have CV-1 just let die.

the new effects capability is quite nice also, there's 100 patches for just the effects I think.

Rastkovic wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:04 pm
backtomusic wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:46 pmSo for me it's like buying another cup of coffe for €49 , and I don't buy a cup of coffe for that.
A full scalable GUI and additional modules is nothing? I don't think so. They could have CV-1 just let die.
so what value does that bring me, that also has vcv pro and bitwig poly grid. what was unique for me was already there in cv-1, so the update isn't worth it.

I think it's about quality over quantity. They s o u n d nice to me at least but hey. try it out your self.

AAS aren't making a NKS version of this so I made one myself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwgwy58p3xbty ... 2.zip?dl=0

Nothing fancy. I just wanted to try out, if it's possible to control the new Multiphonics CV-2 FX version via CV/Gate signals. Yes, it's possible. ;)

AAS Multiphonics - Using Audio Inputs for CV/Gate Signals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGX_Q7TH46w

Return to “Instruments”