Do you make music in the dark or with the lights on?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

_leras wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:31 pm*Many studioes don't have windows so always need lights.
Is that because they have Apple or Linux?? 😬
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Apple have round windows.
Windows have straight....errr.....windows
Linux don't do fancy shit like glass windows, just knock holes through the studio walls.

Lights are on for music, but otherwise I do my work in the darkness.

beltrom wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 am lava lamps, different ones depending on mode and music...
As i understand it, Lava lamps are a requirement for many studios.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:36 am
beltrom wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 am lava lamps, different ones depending on mode and music...
As i understand it, Lava lamps are a requirement for many studios.
You can only achieve the legendary warm sound using lava lamps.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:12 am I do my work in the darkness.
ninja assassin or burglar?

because of the summer heat, i sometimes make "music" in the nude
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Gavincoolguy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:34 am Might seem like a crazy question but when I see peoples studios with natural lighting I think wtf. I gotta turn all the lights off to get creative, curious about others situation.
Actually, its a good question.

I tend to not like working in a bright room, its distracting.
I might mix in a brighter room just to be more alert but when writing/tracking, I tend to like low or soft lighting.

I like a pretty bright room. Dim rooms tend to feel sort of depressing to me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It's not something I give a shit about. Whatever lighting the place has when I walk in, that's fine by me. Of course, it's usually quite dark on stage but I don't find I need to acclimate myself during rehearsal so we normally have the light on.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

vurt wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:12 pm
FranklyFlawless wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:12 am I do my work in the darkness.
ninja assassin or burglar?
Neither, although I have a growing interest in parkour and locksport. They are just for fun though, not for work, so I only do them during the daytime.

My work in the darkness is separate from my music and other hobbies mentioned above. Most of the time it is reading and researching how to solve fundamental issues in my life.

This guy is doing "demos in the dark"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73al6EtBr68

That's an interesting question... I guess its pretty even but I have come to prefer natural lighting or darkness.

I prefer to have light, natural or artificial. Sometimes I turn off the main lights and work with some smaller lights "for vibe reasons" (usually during summer evenings... less light means attracting less mosquitos, too), but I usually prefer to work in a properly illuminated place. Keeping the lights dimmed or completely turned off may work when jamming with hardware synths, but it's not a great idea when working with a pc (I have two 27" or 28" screens in my small room and they make a lot of light).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

vurt wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:36 pm only at the mid point between light and dark.
twilight is the best

Return to “Production Techniques”