Do you make music in the dark or with the lights on?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gavincoolguy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:03 pm I know it's crazy but yes in general if Im using a computer which is where I make music im probably blacking out the room. Been that way seen i got my first Tandy Coco 3 in the 80s. Only way I can vibe, send help. I have no fez though which is the hottest tip in the thread.
Fair enough. :)

My ideal setting for writing music is at night, with dim/soft lighting, and ideally with no clock...!

But my setup doesn't allow blackout in the day, and I'm ok with working in daylight. Or at least I won't not do things because of daylight. What with not being a vampire and all.

It varies. I have the LIFX strips and bulbs with different color schemes/moods, so sometimes I’ll just use that. During the day, I get just enough indirect ambient light through the window that I’ll just use that. Occasionally, I’ll work with just the overhead light or in the dark, but that mostly comes down to how much eye strain I can deal with. My vision gets worse every day, it seems.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I can't do it in the complete dark, but definitely low lighting for serious creative stuff. Lighter for more work-like getting things done. This thread reminds me I must get a lava lamp...always used to have one. Multi-light LEDs currently and often set them to slow fade between muted colors, flashing is just distracting. Or red. Dunno why red, but it's conducive to making weird noises, I find. I still have a glitter ball I must fix up in the studio, but I need to fix up a motor to make it spin. And I need one of those plasma balls too - studio essential IMO. I have used candles in the past, as they make a nice subdued light, but bad idea for obvs reasons :hihi:

kritikon wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:56 pm . Multi-light LEDs currently and often set them to slow fade between muted colors,
i got the projector, to play the visuals from vs synth. so its in time with the music :P

Do you have any beats in your music for lights to play in time to?

kritikon wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:14 pm Do you have any beats in your music for lights to play in time to?
boak.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

kritikon wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:14 pm Do you have any beats in your music for lights to play in time to?
i did not say my plan was perfect!

but, colours fade with rising and falling pitch for example. it's not all about doof doof doof stuff, does the wibbles and pings too

My music might be dark, but I keep at least some minimum of room light on when I make it.

I like to be able to see my gear, and bright LEDs or screens in the dark annoy me.

I just have poor lighting in my room and never bothered to correct it, so semi-dark.

I lean towards dark and moody when creating and more bright & alert when producing.

I create/write/compose at night in dim lights. LED color schemes depending on the mood and all that. Usually mix/edit/arrange the following day in daylight but the shades get frequently adjusted depending on how much daylight I want to let in.

It is an interesting question.
Your Advert Here!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO-G_PN5stk

like this :P

lights stays on at night... but best case scenario is light from the sun.
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

My room has lots of windows and natural light so I typically produce with just sunlight. But I am interested in getting a more colorful low light night setup for a nice change of pace.

Day: I don't like direct sunlight on my screen or in my eyes.
Night: Just enough light to be able to read the writings/labels on my hardware synths. All my computer keyboards have illumination under the keys. The bright leds on my polybrute sometimes bother me; I hope Arturia 'fixes' this in a future firmware update.

In general: I don't like room-illuminating white fluorescent light. Who does?

By the glowing lights of a Hydrasynth, of course.

Return to “Production Techniques”