Do you make music in the dark or with the lights on?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Might seem like a crazy question but when I see peoples studios with natural lighting I think wtf. I gotta turn all the lights off to get creative, curious about others situation.

yes, it's crazy question.

If you have windows and you were making music in the day, you would pull blackout blinds and put lights on?

**Many studioes don't have windows so always need lights.

I use Philips Hue lights, 2x9W is enough to light and colour the room nicely.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

For "dark devil metal"-style: Only in the dark!
For "easy listening lucky beach"-style: Only in the sunlight!
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

only at the mid point between light and dark.

Strobe lights. Best of both worlds.

lava lamps, different ones depending on mode and music...

i need Help wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:29 am Strobe lights. Best of both worlds.
sit in the sun, wearing a blindfold.
the music i write like this is intense!

I'll play acoustic guitar in the dark. Very relaxing. Anything else that resembles actually working on something, in the light.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I make music when I feel like day n night.
artie fichelle sounds natural

what ever the case may be-
I'm never gonna do it without the fez on.
Oh no.

I know it's crazy but yes in general if Im using a computer which is where I make music im probably blacking out the room. Been that way seen i got my first Tandy Coco 3 in the 80s. Only way I can vibe, send help. I have no fez though which is the hottest tip in the thread.
_leras wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:31 pm yes, it's crazy question.

If you have windows and you were making music in the day, you would pull blackout blinds and put lights on?

**Many studioes don't have windows so always need lights.

how far "blackout"? just close the curtains or go as far as bricking up the window?

where cables are concerned, light is more about safety than mood i think.
i don't want to pull 10ks worth of modular of the shelf.
not even in a hard hat, let alone a fez.

I usually design my office as four walls of desk with me in the middle with enough room to play string instruments. Blackout would be an overstatement as there is usually the light from 5 or 6 displays. I don't do modular and I'm not sure it would be possible or reasonable but yes it would be an accident waiting to happen.
vurt wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:24 pm how far "blackout"? just close the curtains or go as far as bricking up the window?

where cables are concerned, light is more about safety than mood i think.
i don't want to pull 10ks worth of modular of the shelf.
not even in a hard hat, let alone a fez.

that makes sense then, it's bright enough you could move if needs be.

many years ago, i worked in a studio, in a basement.
few of us in the control room and a band in the live room, all going fine.
then the whole blocks power went down. :o
luckily, one person in the control room had ignored "leave phones in the lockers" rule, or we would have been stuck in there for about 4 hours till the electric got sorted :lol:
we all bought pocket torches after that.

Return to “Production Techniques”