TAL-Drum: add a sequencer

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think Geist 2 had cool sequencing but parts of it seemed a little convoluted so I wouldn't mind something more streamlined.

t.o.t.s. wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:15 pm I think Geist 2 had cool sequencing but parts of it seemed a little convoluted so I wouldn't mind something more streamlined.
The thing about G2 is that you can make the sequencer as simple or complex as you want. There are single and multiple graph views (single shown below), automation can be hidden and lanes added as required, and almost all parameters can be modulated. The pads and browser can be hidden making it very streamlined (also shown below). Left click add step, right click remove step makes it very quick to use, it has available 24 pattern slots, a song mode, and a load more functionality (preset quick add patterns, etc...).

I really don't think there has been a better drum sequencer, before or since. That said, Drum Computer's sequencer comes a pretty close second (and it can do polyrhythms).

But anyway, this is kinda the point of my question - put 50 KVR'ers in a room, and you'll get 50 definitions of what a drum sequencer should provide. If one is ever added, 49 of the 50 will probably not get what they want. So I'm trying to find out if there is any common ground between the folks that want one and perhaps we can find a happy middle ground. :)
Last edited by neverbeeninariot on Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

now that im looking at the interface again i guess i agree. i think OTHER parts of Geist I wasnt down with but looking at this now Im remembvering having pretty good fun with this sequencer. Something I'd def like to see is some kind of probability in the sequencer rows. Drum Computers squencer is also fun... but I'l tell you, I just cant get down with the sound engine. I just never dig what I'm getting!

I'd be perfectly happy with a simple TR-style step sequencer with groove and global accent. Anything else would be gravy.

+1 for Sequencer,

but a very simple one with up to 32 steps and 8-16 tracks which is only triggering pads and with 12 or 24 patterns which can be triggered via MIDI-Notes.

Yeah I don't need anything as fancy as Geist, just a basic step sequencer.

Simple as audio damage tattoo?
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

tattoo has some nice but simple features. another one to look at might be atlas.

liquidsound wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:33 am Simple as audio damage tattoo?
Quite sophisticated for the time, and not a million miles from G2 (a few less bells and whistles, and less flashy GUI...). but yes, multi-pattern, step modulation for drum parameters, what's not to like.

Because Tal-Drum offers up to 64 pads it would be very usefull if a sequencer could trigger any pad within a track. Like Hy-Slicer2 can trigger any slice within a track.
This could be done by simply drag a pad from the pad-view to a track in the sequencer.

neverbeeninariot wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:10 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:33 am Simple as audio damage tattoo?
Quite sophisticated for the time, and not a million miles from G2 (a few less bells and whistles, and less flashy GUI...). but yes, multi-pattern, step modulation for drum parameters, what's not to like.
Yes it was. I should play with it in Bitwig using some Modulators... why not.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

need sequencing? try hy seq32 or rp32. enough stuff to learn for one year minimum^^

tal-drum needs no sequencer, keep it simple, just develop the sound engine. and the browser^^

MuLab has a great sequencer module built in and you can make your own front panels with almost any controls from many vst's!

Adding a sequencer to a vst seems pretty pointless these days imo.

sl23 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:05 pm Adding a sequencer to a vst seems pretty pointless these days imo.
Couldn't agree more :tu:

sl23 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:05 pm Adding a sequencer to a vst seems pretty pointless these days imo.
Disagree

Return to “TAL Software”