Should I buy a DAW or use AI to make my music?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AI forces us to rethink:
- distribution of wealth + hatred towards the unemployed
- the way we put musicians on a pedestal
- equating self worth to achievements or popularity
- "corps are people too" - some people will become even more enamoured by brands (given how many people are obsessed with Coca Cola and Apple, they will go out of their minds for AIs that touch 'em emotionally, or get 'em dancing).
- romantic myths about artistry, human exceptionalism

HREQ wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:08 am punk rok
https://twitter.com/satsuki_uber/status ... 1964932413
That is easily the most pathetic antithesis of actual punk that I have ever heard. This is like exceptionally bad pop-punk, except with a karaoke backing track put through Valhalla Supermassive and sung by vocaloids.

i need Help wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:56 am
t3toooo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:55 am
Btw. The so called AI music is hand generated too. From where should stupid machine select the samples?
How can stupid machine create a kick drum without having kick-drums as a template?
Do ppl really think some Generative AI model has a Splice account and is literally using samples?

Like “AI” opens up a DAW, load Serum or any other synth plugin, adds a bunch of Loopmasters and Cymatics sample files, and produces a track for you in the 2 minutes the website says “generating song”?

Is that what some ppl think is going on lol?
While obviously not in the literal way you describe, in short, yes it is using samples. Generative AI is really only capable of formulating output based on the inputs its model was trained on, so in effect, yes it is 100% using the samples of music fed in to its model during training it, in kind of an analogous way that granular oscillators in modern synths do.

You didn't think they were capable of cognition and creativity did you?

It's making these songs based on transmorphing things from its huge set of inputs to match the request.

The same is true of the vocal fakes. AI generated vocal fakes are so good because they are trained on samples of the voices of the people they are faking.

so in effect, yes it is 100% using the samples of music fed in to its model during training it,
That's technically and also legally not possible and not how AI works. AI generates its own samples, based on what it has learned.

Ontopic, Ai raises indeed the question if it makes sense to make music in the future. But i would say, yes it is still one way to make music. AI has its borders. And for me personally it is a need to write my music.

You should use AI. In this way you limit yourself and we can make better music : )
Your brain is a supercomputer, just ignore it !

Tiles wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:27 am
so in effect, yes it is 100% using the samples of music fed in to its model during training it,
That's technically and also legally not possible and not how AI works. AI generates its own samples, based on what it has learned.
Which is exactly what I said (alongside the snippet you cherrypicked). Much like a granular synth oscillator uses the loaded sample (or sample fragment) to generate new sounds, a GenAI uses the model generated from training on millions of input samples to generate sounds.

It is 100% using samples, just not for direct playback. They were used in training the model that is now generating the sounds.

That's *all it can do*. It has no intuitive creativity on its own. All it can do is regurgitate a new combination of what it was trained on, based on patterns derived from the training data.

why you all putting ai down? :(
it's xmas, be nice to ai.

vurt wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:01 pm why you all putting ai down? :(
it's xmas, be nice to ai.
All creatures great and small are intelligent, and created (by the Father - and the Holy Ghost?).
We. Are. AI.

sheeple.

The Holy Lamb is innocent - not human.

Even if you don't give credence to the Bible, there's further proof in Battlestar Galactica.
We. Are. AI.

Some days it does feel like I work for Cyberdyne Systems

cptgone wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:22 pm The Holy Lamb is innocent -
and is lovely with potatoes and a bit of mint sauce.

stoopicus wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:28 pm Some days it does feel like I work for Cyberdyne Systems
Shhh ... Skynet can hear you.

Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcvDjy3fvs

10:09 - Ice-cream Love
10:49 - Beaches
11:29 - My Pink Panther T-shirt

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”