Cant add more than 1 layer

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,
I am interested in Tal Sampler. So far i am enjoying it, but now where the real fun begins I get stuck. I can not open a 2nd or 3rd layer. I try to simply drag and drop it from the tal browser, just like it works inside the 1st layer. But its not possible. I use FL studio 21 on Windows 10.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

Samples can be only imported onto keyboard mappings. Only layer A has a default keyboard mapping (with a preloaded sawtooth wave), the other layers do not. So I think that you're trying to drag and drop samples onto the waveform view of layers B-D but it won't let you because there is no key map, at least until you create one.

When you switch to one of the other layers, try one of these:
a ) Click 'Add Mapping' first, then you can drag and drop samples as you expect, or
b ) Drag the sample onto the mapping area and it will automatically create a one-note-wide mapping that you can drag out to cover the keyboard range you want.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by neverbeeninariot on Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, I understand - I thought layering is for blending multiple sounds to one, but okay. Thank you! :)

ancient7 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:01 pm Hey, I understand - I thought layering is for blending multiple sounds to one, but okay. Thank you! :)
No problem : )

There is something else you can do in one layer, you can have keymaps with different velocity ranges : )

It's a little bit awkward adjusting the velocities (doubly-so because I scaled the GUI down to fit the screen better), but it otherwise works as you might expect. That said, using the mousewheel on velo-start/velo-end parameters is easier than trying to manipulate the mapping graphic.

It would be great if you could drag multiple samples at the same time and have it spread them across keys, or layer them by velocity, but sadly it's not possible at the moment...

actually I need to speak to Patrick about that, the empty preset that opens when you open Sampler has empty mappings in all layers already so you CAN just drop a sample into them. If you select Load Default Preset from the menu then there is only an empty mapping in Layer 1 leaving it necessary to create them in the other layers before you can drop in a sample easily. Both empty presets should be the same IMO and it's nicer workflow if by default there are empty - full keyboard width - mappings already in every layer. Leave it with me.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

EmptyVessel wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:01 pm actually I need to speak to Patrick about that, the empty preset that opens when you open Sampler has empty mappings in all layers already so you CAN just drop a sample into them. If you select Load Default Preset from the menu then there is only an empty mapping in Layer 1 leaving it necessary to create them in the other layers before you can drop in a sample easily. Both empty presets should be the same IMO and it's nicer workflow if by default there are empty - full keyboard width - mappings already in every layer. Leave it with me.
Not here on v4.2.9. The 'Startup' preset only has a mapping on layer A :shrug:

neverbeeninariot wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:11 pm Not here on v4.2.9. The 'Startup' preset only has a mapping on layer A :shrug:
Oh damn, you're right. I hadn't updated yet despite updating the update thread :) Once I update they're both the same.
OK, I'm just emailing Patrick about it anyway so hopefully it should be fixed in the next update.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

EmptyVessel wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:41 pm
neverbeeninariot wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:11 pm Not here on v4.2.9. The 'Startup' preset only has a mapping on layer A :shrug:
Oh damn, you're right.
:lol:

Glad you could replicate though, seems to be a regression on previous behaviour, althought tbh I don't remember it being any different before.

Cheers

Thank you two! It's a great tool and does simple things just right. I love its simplicity. And the way you can navigate through your folders with the arrow keys feels very comfortable. Though loading a sample with shift+arrow right does not work for me in the current version. Does it work for you?

Hey, no problem, glad you're having fun with it : )

Yes, shift->right-arrow works here (Win10), but it will only insert the sample into the selected mapping (i.e. a mapping has to exist), then you need to make sure that the browser/sample has focus again before hitting the key combination.

Return to “TAL Software”