The Mysterious Synapse-Audio HZ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:35 pm Isn't "rude and misinformed" a prerequisite for KVR registration?
:lol: :party:

vurt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:34 pm
kylie wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:32 pm
cytospur wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:14 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:51 pm as much as any parent i imagine.
and remember, some parents name their kids some weird shit!
Such as 'vurt'?
I though this was his family name, and his given name is Addled Muppet Weed - or AMW, for short.
Am I rude and uninformed as well ?
not rude, you just got them the wrong way around, addled-muppet-weed, is my hyphenated family name (surname in the uk)
My bad ! Must have missed our introduction ceremony. I'll just stay with 'vurt' then.

vurt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:29 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:51 pm
seafire wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:50 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:48 pm If it's good, no one will care about the name. Obsession, The Legend, you could say the same about those. Cytomic has The Scream, The Drop, The Glue, you could say the same for those. No one cares. The products are good.
Presumably the dev cares
as much as any parent i imagine.
Such as 'vurt'?
thats both rude, and uninformed!
vurt is not my given full name, its short for intravurtopolis.
The "the city of inside vurt"? You should definitely drop your parents from your Christmas card list. :D
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Augur.

I’ve always been surprised that no one snagged the name “Oracle” for a Prophet style synth. It’s right there. Sounds good in the lineup, too. Dune, The Legend, The Oracle.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

kylie wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:42 pm
Such as 'vurt'?
I though this was his family name, and his given name is Addled Muppet Weed - or AMW, for short.
not rude, you just got them the wrong way around, addled-muppet-weed, is my hyphenated family name (surname in the uk)
My bad ! Must have missed our introduction ceremony. I'll just stay with 'vurt' then.
I feel sad that I’m one of the only ones who gets the Vurt reference. Everyone should look it up and read it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:49 pm
Such as 'vurt'?
I feel sad that I’m one of the only ones who gets the Vurt reference. Everyone should look it up and read it.
But are you talking the sci-fy novel or the synth?
I always thought the reference was the synth...

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... kytary.jpg

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:47 pm I’ve always been surprised that no one snagged the name “Oracle” for a Prophet style synth. It’s right there. Sounds good in the lineup, too. Dune, The Legend, The Oracle.
What me surprises more is that there's so much fuzz about naming a synth. I don't get all that lets-make-it-a-reference-to-that-other-synth stuff as well. To me Oracle does not sound like a good name for it, but that's just my opinion. If Oracle (the company) would mind is another story.

I understand that it's getting harder to find unique names for new stuff and even more so for stuff that evolves from something with a well-known name, and companies protecting brands and copyrights for named items, but sometimes this is just getting weird...

(and no, I don't like "The Legend" either as a name).

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:49 pm I feel sad that I’m one of the only ones who gets the Vurt reference. Everyone should look it up and read it.
Because of what ? To make you feel better? Come on...

4th law of KVR: When turning sad, just display a blue indicator light.

BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:57 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:49 pm

Such as 'vurt'?
But are you talking the sci-fy novel or the synth?
I always thought the reference was the synth...

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... kytary.jpg
Science fiction novel.
Zerocrossing Media

kylie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:01 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:47 pm I’ve always been surprised that no one snagged the name “Oracle” for a Prophet style synth. It’s right there. Sounds good in the lineup, too. Dune, The Legend, The Oracle.
What me surprises more is that there's so much fuzz about naming a synth. I don't get all that lets-make-it-a-reference-to-that-other-synth stuff as well. To me Oracle does not sound like a good name for it, but that's just my opinion. If Oracle (the company) would mind is another story.

I understand that it's getting harder to find unique names for new stuff and even more so for stuff that evolves from something with a well-known name, and companies protecting brands and copyrights for named items, but sometimes this is just getting weird...

Well, Larry Ellison doesn’t make software synthesizers, so I don’t think there’s any conflict there, at least not one that would survive legal scrutiny. Both words imply the ability to see the future, so it’s just a fun nod to Dave’s name, which he used to death and in a pretty arbitrary manner. Basically he used it to name all his polyphonic instruments… except for a few.

Another example of unused names are all the Greek and Roman gods. Roland used Jupiter and Juno and then stopped. I’m surprised that when they stopped licensing the name to Arturia they didn’t use Titan or something.
Zerocrossing Media

I haven't been keeping up, is there any guess at a release date for this?

osiris wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:30 pmAugur.
Already taken (nice synth too)

https://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/down ... are/Augur/

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:41 am I haven't been keeping up, is there any guess at a release date for this?
Only uninformed ones

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5502622

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:16 am
kylie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:01 am

Well, Larry Ellison doesn’t make software synthesizers, so I don’t think there’s any conflict there, at least not one that would survive legal scrutiny. Both words imply the ability to see the future, so it’s just a fun nod to Dave’s name, which he used to death and in a pretty arbitrary manner. Basically he used it to name all his polyphonic instruments… except for a few.

I do see why one could argue that there is a link between both terms - I just don't see a reason why it is necessary to maintain it in a compulsive manner. The name does not affect the sound of the synth. If it sounds good - it sounds good. If it sounds bad - a "good name" doesn't help (neither do virtual wooden side panels).

As to Larry... philantropic billonaires have a slight tendency to put a lot of money in things they love / adore. Just because he's into yachting and avation that does not mean it stops there. Yes, I know that's more than speculative. Nevertheless, Synapse isn't that size of company being able to stand a lawsuit with Oracle anyway. I guess a friendly note asking to rethink the naming from a corporate lawyer would be sufficient to make it happen.
Another example of unused names are all the Greek and Roman gods. Roland used Jupiter and Juno and then stopped. I’m surprised that when they stopped licensing the name to Arturia they didn’t use Titan or something.
There's alot of titans, actually, so if you're looking for names in that mythology you might find some more. Korg already did, so Kronos is taken...

Return to “Instruments”