Will we get the CLAP?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just curious because I'm tired of VST3 plugin flakiness. Considering how many plugin developers I've heard express frustration with the VST3 spec being difficult to come to terms with I have some hope that CLAP will be more dependable.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

I bet if JUCE gets CLAP support, waveform will probably get it shortly after.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
for the juce API,
an extension is available now:

https://github.com/free-audio/clap-juce-extensions (https://github.com/free-audio/clap-juce-extensions)

That's for building CLAP plugins, not hosting them. Though they might be related somehow. From what I have read there is no official JUCE support for CLAP and no plans to change that. If Waveform needs official JUCE support it could take a while.

Hey, at least we have Cmajor. Whatever that is. Might be the new SOUL? I can't find much about the plugin format but lots about the scale. Names like CLAP, Waveform, SOUL and Cmajor kinda drive me crazy. At least with JUCE you can find things related to JUCE. I thought I would give Cmajor a try but the number of plugins I can find in that format is zero. The good news: no crashes!
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Will we get VST3?
Waveform 12 Pro, Cubase Pro 13, Windows 11, i7-13700H

UnionS8 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:57 pm Will we get VST3?
is one present VST3 not enough for you?

Kott wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:45 pm
Considering other posts by UnionS8 I'm guessing there is some deeper (negative) meaning, but it's not clear. I suppose Waveform's VST3 implementation isn't good enough. It's not perfect. I have a ticket in to support from February 2022 that has been ignored.

pough wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:55 pm
Considering other posts by UnionS8 I'm guessing there is some deeper (negative) meaning, but it's not clear. I suppose Waveform's VST3 implementation isn't good enough. It's not perfect. I have a ticket in to support from February 2022 that has been ignored.
I see. Again it's all up to JUCE host part.

pough wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:55 pm
Yes, I'm going to calm down. ;-) It just annoys me: Waveform could be easily one of the best DAWs out there, but it isn't :-( And nobody cares (except us).
To the VST3. Yes, I've asked better support of VST3 several times in past years. And wasn't heard. It's simply not possible to load VST3 presets unless the plugin itself has some sort of a preset menu.

Did you tried this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jan Meyer wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:43 pm Did you tried this?
Yes, I did, thank you. I don't remember exactly, but I think, it has something to do with the location of presets. Sometimes Waveform can see it, sometimes not.

UnionS8 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:29 pm Yes, I'm going to calm down. ;-) It just annoys me: Waveform could be easily one of the best DAWs out there, but it isn't :-( And nobody cares (except us).
To the VST3. Yes, I've asked better support of VST3 several times in past years. And wasn't heard. It's simply not possible to load VST3 presets unless the plugin itself has some sort of a preset menu.
1. The Waveform development team is very understaffed. The software was brought back from the dead and yes, it's still active. A new version was released very recently. Users should be more grateful and patient.

2. We were all living just so very fine with vst2 until Steinberg decided to make everybody's life more difficult and many plugin providers were more than happy to comply. Waveform didn't create this situation. I use Linux and have begun to use vst3 Windows plugins thanks to linvst which now supports vst3, but that is a relatively new development. Before that I only used vst2, 99.9% of all my plugins are vst2, I will never blame the DAW developers for whatever mess that vst3 may be causing.

lmv wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:03 am
UnionS8 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:29 pm Yes, I'm going to calm down. ;-) It just annoys me: Waveform could be easily one of the best DAWs out there, but it isn't :-( And nobody cares (except us).
1. The Waveform development team is very understaffed. The software was brought back from the dead and yes, it's still active. A new version was released very recently. Users should be more grateful and patient.

2. We were all living just so very fine with vst2 until Steinberg decided to make everybody's life more difficult and many plugin providers were more than happy to comply. Waveform didn't create this situation. I use Linux and have begun to use vst3 Windows plugins thanks to linvst which now supports vst3, but that is a relatively new development. Before that I only used vst2, 99.9% of all my plugins are vst2, I will never blame the DAW developers for whatever mess that vst3 may be causing.
1. I can understand that. But. They don't communicate with the community, that's the main problem. If they'd ask us, loyal users, what we want, I bet, we would all agree, we need bugfixes first, not new bells and whistles. I'd gladly pay for another upgrade if I'd knew many of errors are gone. If they are understaffed, why they waste time, people and energy adding new stuff instead of fixing known issues? I still love Waveform and I'll support them till last days, but I'm simply upset by the company's approach to us.
2. Steinberg claimed, they'll stop selling VST2 licenses to new developers in few years. They're cutting VST2 format down slowly. It's only a matter of time when we're going to switch to VST3 completely (as we did with 64bit plugins before). So we have to be prepared :-D

I've thought Tracktion probably needs someone in the company to take on the role of something akin to a community manager just to communicate with the forums and put out the official word. It would probably help calm things.

They also need to concentrate on the bugs, instead of chasing new features. I suspect they probably prioritise new features as they generate buzz and therefore bring in revenue.

boomt wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:13 am I've thought Tracktion probably needs someone in the company to take on the role of something akin to a community manager just to communicate with the forums and put out the official word. It would probably help calm things.

They also need to concentrate on the bugs, instead of chasing new features. I suspect they probably prioritise new features as they generate buzz and therefore bring in revenue.
As I mentioned somewhere else, Bandlab is closing its free edition of Cakewalk. It could be a great opportunity for Waveform to catch new users. They don't need new stuff (they don't know previous versions to compare it with). What they need is another solid free DAW to switch from Cakewalk.
Tracktion isn't responding to the forum. OK. But they should read it at least, so they'll know the mood here and what to concentrate on next.
I could easily omit all 12.5 features in exchange for more stable and useful Waveform. For me, the only feature worth upgrading was the awesome stem separation. But again. It didn't work out of the box and another quick fix was needed.
But we're out of the topic already ;-)
What's the advantage of CLAP over VST(3)? It's not proprietary? Why do we need another format? And hey, I'm not trolling right now :-D I really ask...

Return to “Tracktion”