'The Linux DAW thread' funally crossed the quarter million views threshold!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why? I think that these are things that contribute to linux surviving as
a musicians platform.

U-he's amazing linux ports. World-class just can't be underestimated
Surge excellent cross-platform resurgence, demonstrating open-source teamwork
AirWindows, demonstrating homegrown cross-platorm genious in friendly videos
Vital and Odin2, simply excellent synths
Pianobook and DecentSampler for providing real instrument sounds
Yoshimi synth for constantly improving amidst it's 16 layers
Guitarix and Rakarrack to wonderfully effect sound
Hydrogen drum machine, continuing to be an easy and powerful way to
pound out the sound

linVst and yabridge plugin wrappers, and wine-staging, that allow bringing most windows plugins across the great divide.

Reaper, Bitwig, and Harrison for making commercial linux daws

AVLinux, Ubuntu Studio, and the Arch Linux Manjaro-with-AUR distros,
providing premade and well supported linux systems (among others.)

The kernel maintainers, who have integrated patches making well behaved linux audio
possible in mainstream distributions, with just a few easy config choices.

Personally, I learn a lot from users at

https://linuxmusicians.com/

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

and of course, the shared knowledge from countless hundreds/thousands of musicians
here at KVR, that mostly translates across platforms. KVR imo is the most import musicians website on the planet. Onward to half a million :party:
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

glokraw wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:02 am Why? I think that these are things that contribute to linux surviving as
a musicians platform.

U-he's amazing linux ports. World-class just can't be underestimated
Surge excellent cross-platform resurgence, demontrating open-source teamwork
AirWindows, demonstrating homegrown cross-platorm genious in friendly videos
Vital and Odin2, simply excellent synths
Pianobook and DecentSampler for providing real instrument sounds
Yoshimi synth for constantly improving amidst it's 16 layers
Guitarix and Rakarrack to wonderfully effect sound
Hydrogen drum machine, continuing to be an easy and powerful way to
pound out the sound

linVst and yabridge plugin wrappers, and wine-staging, that allow bringing most windows plugins across the great divide.

Reaper, Bitwig, and Harrison for making commercial linux daws

AVLinux, Ubuntu Studio, and the Arch Linux Manjaro-with-AUR distros,
providing premade and well supported linux systems (among others.)

The kernel maintainers, who have integrated patches making well behaved linux audio
possible in mainstream distributions, with just a few easy config choices.

Personally, I learn a lot from users at

https://linuxmusicians.com/

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

and of course, the shared knowledge from countless hundreds/thousands of musicians
here at KVR, that mostly translates across platforms. KVR imo is the most import musicians website on the planet. Onward to half a million :party:
Cheers
Well said! Things just keep getting better, year after year! We are only 53 patches short of having the entire real time patch tree completely mainlined into the generic kernel. We are just about to cross the finish line! Soon, any linux distro you choose will be able to support low latency audio without having to rely on alternative kernels or source compilation. I’ve been waiting 15 years for this, and it most likely will be completed this year.

In addition, pipewire further brings a consolidation of the various audio servers to make it even easier for users to do what they want, how they want, with linux audio, be that with pulseaudio apps, JACK apps or ALSA apps. It all just works, with very little configuration needed.

Things are certainly better for pro audio on linux, and this thread shows that others are realizing it too! :D
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Glad you burst through the wall of crickets :hyper: I appreciate your gathering of news and solutions from various sometimes oblique sources. I hope that ultimately pipewwire will recognize and make available to i/o, all the hardware and software that comes and goes in
any given session, without need of jackd or pulse libs, ever again.

Being able to play a guitar or keyboard along with browser, stream, or media-player output, is a ton of (healthy) fun, and the linux coders have historically provided separate competing partial solutions for audio in general, rather than taking full advantage of unified resources.
Ego has it's place in leadership, but surely benefits from having both halves of it's ass.

And now that CLAP is soon to be in U-he, Surge team, and other linux codebasi, the future has a nicer glow to it 8)
Cheers

I have just (yeah - I know) discovered Audiogridder and I think that may be enough for me to start migrating my music across to Linux. I already use Linux for work and everything else, but music tended to be Windows (or Mac) only because of some hardware (UAD) and also my desire to not use Wine (technically it's awesome, but I just dislike the hassle).

However, with Audiogridder, I can use my older desktop - running Windows and my UAD hardware, and plugins - along with Linux on my new desktop running Bitwig and anything Linux-friendly ! It's awesome.

Also, with CLAP hopefully bringing even more Linux potential (I Believe !), this could well be the turning point that helps me finally move the bias back to Linux, without giving up those things I use regularly.

Hi, I'm a happy AVLinux user, and it comes with wine-staging 6.22 by default, and it's locked up from packaging tools, so it takes great effort to mess it up, and just sits there like a toad until it's needed. AVL also has the yabridge plugin wrapper and Reaper demo, so testing windows plugins is pretty easy.

A lot of choices depend on the type of music you make, your budget, and the financial priority you assign to musical tools. In my experience, around 90% of windows plugins that lack dongles and absurd registration schemes, will just work transparently in Reaper, and also a similar rate in linux Bitwig. In my case, I have several U-he synths, Komplete 13, and for guitar, Bluecat Axiom and IK's Amplitube.

Some native linux plugins I use a lot are rakarrack effects, yoshimi synth, hydrogen drum machine, DecentSampler, and the Surge XT synth is going to get a lot of use.

Using linux really demands one have hardware that works, which for some means changing hardware, again with priorities in mind. To me, linux is fun, and always something new. I'm typing this on a live dvd testing a new AVLinux that has Enlightenment as it's window-manager, so far everything is fine. Got my guitar and youtube and rakarrack live for practice, so looking forward to installing tomorrow. Hope you enjoy the adventure! Having two computers make things a lot easier.
Cheers

edit: wrong thread
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

glokraw wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:39 am Hi, I'm a happy AVLinux user, and it comes with wine-staging 6.22 by default
I'm guessing AV Linux with Openbox? MXLinux 21.1 here, wine 6.22 the most stable system I have ever ran for audio. Whole installed setup backed up to an .iso image. Will stay here for a long time. Musician first now with everything I could have dreamed of 30-40 years ago.

Here's an info update on a new version of AVLinux close to being released:

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=26526

I'll test it and if all is well, put it on a new ssd, should Santa approve :wink:
Hard to improve on the inner workings of what's existing.New instruments, apps,
and effects are always welcome. :hyper:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”