How do you use the pre amps?

Official support for: arturia.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have the FX Collection but have no idea how one would use a software preamp? Is it for adding gain or colouring or what? If it's for colouring then why not just use a saturation plugin?

Typically to amplify a low signal such as a mic, if you're not using a hardware amp. I often use Pre Trida for vocals or field recordings, all three preamps have different subtle colours. Also check the manual for some insights.

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:46 pm If it's for colouring then why not just use a saturation plugin?
that is an option.

with all these things it's a question of whether the parameters in the emulation plugin make it easier to dial in settings (or get to a better point) compared to just using an eq with gain and a saturation plugin. if it works for you, great. if not, use the other thing.

For me, the FX Collection’s slogan should have been amended to: “Several FX you’ll actually use and a few preamps you’ll forget you own.”

Preamp modeling imparts the sonic characteristics of a coloured preamp onto a clean, relatively uncoloured sound source.

I use them following ampsims and physically modeled instruments such as MODO DRUM, to sound like they were miked.

You probably wouldn’t want to use preamp modeling on samples and loops since they were already recorded with mics and preamps.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I have used Pre TridA on voiceover in post-production as a slight coloring eq.

Return to “Arturia”